Contract Extension for Coach Heupel?

Why would ND pay an $8 million buyout for a 7-5 coach with a single year in a P5 conference?

Not knocking Heupel, he's had a decent first year in comparison to his predecessors, but he's done nothing to warrant taking over the OU or ND jobs, given their previous coaches.
My belief is that the “one and done” that Kiffen pulled on us, did more damage to our program than anything ( including hiring Dickey). Losing another coach after one year will be a lot more damaging and could seal our fate for a long time.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
10 million a year won’t sound so extraordinary in a few years. Have you not seen extraordinary progress. How long have you been around? ( I’m not being sarcastic) I was born in 95 and have never seen a Tennessee coach get so much production out of such a depleted Roster. I suspect that Johnny may have done it but as far as my lifetime I’ve never seen a Tennessee team overachieve and consistently play has hard as this group. That is an accomplishment itself but more importantly it projects into big things for the future. We have to be foward thinking

Going 4-4 in th SEC east isn't "extraordinary progress", and it isn't going to land Heupel a job offer from OU or ND following the likes of Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly.

It also doesn't warrant UT giving Heupel a raise or a change in terms on a 6-year contract with 5 years left on it.

Listen, this may be a little premature to talk about, but if CJH holds serve against Vandy and South Alabama he will deserve an extension IMO.

With a 7-5 record in his first season, after surviving the huge number transfers and going through the process of implementing a new system to the program, he has proven he belongs here.

When the season is over we ought to make a statement that this is our guy, and you can get on the bus now or get flattened by it.
Sure that mistake hasn't been made before
Do a bonus if needed but extension
He** no

Just make the rope to hang ya self shorter

To start off with, I don't think CJH will leave for the OU HC position. Danny White has to give OU permission to even talk with CJH about their vacancy. Danny has hired Huepel 2 different times at 2 different universities and I honestly believe they have a great working relationship and believe in each other at this point. My question is this... why don't we go ahead and give CJH a contract extension like Kentucky did with Stoops and leave all the unrest to OU with regards to their HC search? The extension will show that the AD has faith in our coach and vice versa.

To start off with, I don't think CJH will leave for the OU HC position. Danny White has to give OU permission to even talk with CJH about their vacancy. Danny has hired Huepel 2 different times at 2 different universities and I honestly believe they have a great working relationship and believe in each other at this point. My question is this... why don't we go ahead and give CJH a contract extension like Kentucky did with Stoops and leave all the unrest to OU with regards to their HC search? The extension will show that the AD has faith in our coach and vice versa.
If OU hires Danny White, I’ll start getting a little concerned.

"YOU...start a thread....AND YOU....start a thread....AND YOU START A THREAD!!!!!!"

1437591715198.gif

Because he came in with a 6 year deal to begin with and he has not yet earned an extension or a raise really. He has earned a bonus though. Now, if he pulls in a top better than 15 class and does well next year, he should get big boy money

I agree with keeping up with times. But dont have to be reactionary. I wouldn't say just throw an extension Heuples way. I would say have a number that you will or will not ho over if Oklahoma actually offers the job. Which at this point seems like they would have to drop down list a ways a bit before that would happen. Yes Heuple had a better than expected season and showed glimpses of what a well oiled machine could look like at times. You cant just jump and freak out and extend or give someone a raise. If if if if....Oklahoma gets to point that they offer Heuple I promise you based off the things you mentioned that Heuple will give Danny White the option to see what his offer he can get. At that point is where a good AD has that number in his head of can or can't do. If you can't match it so be it.

OU doesn't need permission to speak to the Hype, this isn't the NFL.

Why not? - give him another year and a raise. Give the assistants a raise. Josh has gone from being a ho-hum hire to what looks like brilliance on the part of Danny White. Give White a raise too - boys quit being miserly during the holidays. Good Grief!!! Don't equate Heupel with Beldar - don't wallow around in the misery of the past.

I would say the fact that Danny white has hired Josh Heupel twice at two different schools says he has faith in our coach. Stoops has been at Kentucky for years and elevated their program and beaten Florida, this is comparing Apples and Oranges.

I normally oppose early contract extensions like the plague. But if there is Danny White has even the slightest inkling that Heupel may be thinking about going to Oklahoma, we MUST do whatever it takes to prevent that. Like others have said, Kiffin‘s one and done is what out this program on life support (subsequent decisions worsened things too), but ANOTHER such fiasco might kill the program for the rest of our lives. Don’t play Russian roulette here. We can buy our way out of a bad coach, but we can’t resurrect a program that dies

Going 4-4 in th SEC east isn't "extraordinary progress", and it isn't going to land Heupel a job offer from OU or ND following the likes of Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly.

It also doesn't warrant UT giving Heupel a raise or a change in terms on a 6-year contract with 5 years left on it.

Completely agree with everything you say here. Unfortunately I see White at the very least giving him a raise. The irrational fear of Heupel leaving has likely already set in. I would be willing to bet the boosters are nervous as well and will want to keep Heupel from leaving.

The college landscape for coaching salaries is changing drastically.

Here's an idea, let's make our coach earn an extension before just granting it after year 1
After multiple defections to the portal and an NCAA investigation looming, I think CJH has earned an extension with a 7-5 record and a bowl berth with what he had to work with. Im not saying throw the bank at him but atleast compensate him for the work he did in his 1st year. Not too many people thought we would be 7-5 this year. Extend him 1 yr. to show appreciation and maybe a gift card to Calhouns for a couple free meals. Alot of this fanbase didnt like his hire but are now sweating him leaving.

After multiple defections to the portal and an NCAA investigation looming, I think CJH has earned an extension with a 7-5 record and a bowl berth with what he had to work with. Im not saying throw the bank at him but atleast compensate him for the work he did in his 1st year. Not too many people thought we would be 7-5 this year. Extend him 1 yr. to show appreciation and maybe a gift card to Calhouns for a couple free meals. Alot of this fanbase didnt like his hire but are now sweating him leaving.
And Fulmer earned one, Butch earned one, Pruitt earned one, etc. Like groundhog day except no one is taking their piano lessons

Reactions: hog88
Completely agree with everything you say here. Unfortunately I see White at the very least giving him a raise. The irrational fear of Heupel leaving has likely already set in. I would be willing to bet the boosters are nervous as well and will want to keep Heupel from leaving.

The college landscape for coaching salaries is changing drastically.

Maybe White will, and if Heupel goes out and wins the bowl game handily, and gets a bump in the 2022 class, then maybe he deserves that bonus as well.

However, if White is jumping at ghosts every time a coaching position opens up, and renegotiates the contract every year, regardless of results, then he's setting a terrible precedent.

I love pounding my chest and drawing a line in the sand. Life just doesn't work like that anymore. Crying damn shame ain't it?

Romo has a contract for 15 million a year for 10 years for just talking football… Should coaches make more than the part time announcers???

Listen, this may be a little premature to talk about, but if CJH holds serve against Vandy and South Alabama he will deserve an extension IMO.

With a 7-5 record in his first season, after surviving the huge number transfers and going through the process of implementing a new system to the program, he has proven he belongs here.

When the season is over we ought to make a statement that this is our guy, and you can get on the bus now or get flattened by it.
Double digit losses to Florida, UGA, and Bama, and already deserves a contract extension?

VN Store

Back