Contract Extension for Coach Heupel?

You gotta do what you gotta do. Personal feelings should play no part in it.

If it comes down to him leaving or a reasonable raise and extension, I’d give them to him…but I wouldn’t go crazy.

Truth be told, UT needs to upgrade the HC salary anyhow. It is nowhere close to the Top 25 nationally, and it is way down the list in the SEC. If you want to know why we always get bargain-bin head coaches, this is why. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: EBFVOL

If it comes down to him leaving or a reasonable raise and extension, I’d give them to him…but I wouldn’t go crazy.

Truth be told, UT needs to upgrade the HC salary anyhow. It is nowhere close to the Top 25 nationally, and it is way down the list in the SEC. If you want to know why we always get bargain-bin head coaches, this is why. You get what you pay for.
2 of the top 3 salaries in the sec got fired this season. You don't always get what you pay for

Reactions: KptVFL

Heupel has done a great job so far but we have no idea if he’s worth an extension at this point. Recruiting for example needs to be better but I’m not holding it against him bc of the investigation.

Well, UT has pretty much got what it paid for over the past decade+. Can we agree on that?
Not really. I think we overpaid for clowns. Coaches weren’t the only problem. We’ve had a crappy environment for a coach to be successful. Needed better ADs, etc.

Heupel has done a great job so far but we have no idea if he’s worth an extension at this point. Recruiting for example needs to be better but I’m not holding it against him bc of the investigation.
All I hear is recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. Does it matter? Look what CJH did with the team he inherited after losing the so called big names and stars we had. If he can coach and get a 5 star performance out of a 3 star recruit then let him. Ole Butch had how many top recruiting classes? He couldnt coach or develop them at all. CJH is a motivator and coach that took a depleted roster and got them to buy in and finished 7-5.

This is EXACTLY what I have been saying don't extend the time but the amount should be closer to 6 million a year to draw the level of coaching we need to be in the National and SEC East conversations...

Reactions: TGFHeupel16 and EZE
All I hear is recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. Does it matter? Look what CJH did with the team he inherited after losing the so called big names and stars we had. If he can coach and get a 5 star performance out of a 3 star recruit then let him. Ole Butch had how many top recruiting classes? He couldnt coach or develop them at all. CJH is a motivator and coach that took a depleted roster and got them to buy in and finished 7-5.

I’m all in on Heupel but he went 7-5 and not 10-2…so he did not get 5-star performance.

Again, he did very well given all of the issues, but let’s not make it more than it was. He still needs to recruit better to have any chance to win any kind of championship.

I’m all in on Heupel but he went 7-5 and not 10-2…so he did not get 5-star performance.

Again, he did very well given all of the issues, but let’s not make it more than it was. He still needs to recruit better to have any chance to win any kind of championship.
He went 7-5 with a team that were mostly back ups in the Pruitt era. Think of that. I’d say that’s just as good as going 11-1 in the big ten or pac 12.

Reactions: KKruzVFL
This is EXACTLY what I have been saying don't extend the time but the amount should be closer to 6 million a year to draw the level of coaching we need to be in the National and SEC East conversations...

UT pays 10th in the conference and 35th nationally. That is way too low IMO. Does this look like a Top-10 All-Time Program that is trying?
  1. (1) Nick Saban, University of Alabama, 9,500,500
  2. (2) Ed Orgeron, Louisiana State University, 9,012,917
  3. (6) Dan Mullen, University of Florida, 7,570,000
  4. (7) Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M University, 7,500,000
  5. (8) Kirby Smart, University of Georgia, 7,133,600
  6. (15) Mark Stoops, University of Kentucky, 5,263,600
  7. (19) Bryan Harsin, Auburn University 5,000,000
  8. (20) Mike Leach, Mississippi State University, 5,000,000
  9. (21) Lane Kiffin, University of Mississippi, 4,841,937
  10. (35) Josh Huepel, University of Tennessee, 4,000,000
  11. (36) Eliah Drinkwitz, University of Missouri, 4,000,000
  12. (54) Sam Pittman, University of Arkansas, 2,925,000
  13. (58) Shane Beamer, University of South Carolina, 2,750,000
  14. Clark Lea, Vanderbilt University, Unreported

I think they overpaid honestly

Yes…for what they got. But, if UT had offered a competitive salary, the candidate pool would’ve been better. 10th in the conference ain’t going to cut it.

Imagine what he can do with more talent.

Reactions: EZE
He went 7-5 with a team that were mostly back ups in the Pruitt era. Think of that. I’d say that’s just as good as going 11-1 in the big ten or pac 12.

That’s irrelevant…and still doesn’t make it a 5-star level. That’s why Alabama and Georgia win 11-12 games IN THE SEC. they actually have 5-star players.

I’d be fine with a bump in salary instead of contract length. He deserves something extra for turning the culture around and getting players to play for 60 minutes. The culture change is huge for this team and probably hardest thing for 1st year coach to achieve. Just my Opinion.

It's not good to be driven by fear. AFTER he has proved himself beyond one season, he should be rewarded, but not yet! they did that with Sg Carter and egghead both, and look what happened next.

UT pays 10th in the conference and 35th nationally. That is way too low IMO. Does this look like a Top-10 All-Time Program that is trying?
  1. (1) Nick Saban, University of Alabama, 9,500,500
  2. (2) Ed Orgeron, Louisiana State University, 9,012,917
  3. (6) Dan Mullen, University of Florida, 7,570,000
  4. (7) Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M University, 7,500,000
  5. (8) Kirby Smart, University of Georgia, 7,133,600
  6. (15) Mark Stoops, University of Kentucky, 5,263,600
  7. (19) Bryan Harsin, Auburn University 5,000,000
  8. (20) Mike Leach, Mississippi State University, 5,000,000
  9. (21) Lane Kiffin, University of Mississippi, 4,841,937
  10. (35) Josh Huepel, University of Tennessee, 4,000,000
  11. (36) Eliah Drinkwitz, University of Missouri, 4,000,000
  12. (54) Sam Pittman, University of Arkansas, 2,925,000
  13. (58) Shane Beamer, University of South Carolina, 2,750,000
  14. Clark Lea, Vanderbilt University, Unreported

agree!

That’s irrelevant…and still doesn’t make it a 5-star level. That’s why Alabama and Georgia win 11-12 games IN THE SEC. they actually have 5-star players.
5 star players have parents and coaches who are not stupid. Alabama and Georgia pay a king's ransom for their 5 star coaches. I can here Saban and Smart in the living room talking to players, "yeah, you want to go to the cheap teams that have revolving coaching doors or do you want to go Cadillac style?" I agree with you that we should not throw a lot of money and years of commitment at CJH but, we have to send a positive signal, money wise, at this situation in order to attract winning talent. I am not convinced we have a winning Defensive Coordinator yet.

Reactions: EZE
BA2456DB-E8CE-4059-AC44-E524FFE22384.jpeg
And so many of you think that our coach is overpaid….

This just shows why UT hasn’t been able to make a noteworthy hire over the past decade. We’re bringing knives to a gunfight.

VN Store

Back