Confirmed: Samantha Williams to Tennessee

Ok let me be clear i`m sure she will be making more at TN then she was at EKU, Now about but setting up a person who just got the job two days ago to get two of the top targets in the nation as you say. Yes why not they are the two names i put out there are undecided. I`m not attacking her and she do deserve a chance to prove she can get the job done.
You can put the names out there but you can't say she has failed because she didn't land the two of them. She is going against coaches who may have been recruiting these plays for 3 or more years. It would be impressive if she were to get in on them and at least get them to add us to their list if they have yet to do so, but saying her tenure here will be a failure if she doesn't land those two with less time on the job is completely unfair and unreasonable.

You can put the names out there but you can't say she has failed because she didn't land the two of them. She is going against coaches who may have been recruiting these plays for 3 or more years. It would be impressive if she were to get in on them and at least get them to add us to their list if they have yet to do so, but saying her tenure here will be a failure if she doesn't land those two with less time on the job is completely unfair and unreasonable.

Not not afraid to put anyone name out there Samantha Williams i think you are talking about, And yes and i don`t think anything is unfair and unreasonable about my opinion i felt the same way about Holly staff as well when Elzy left it is what it is.

Reactions: allen phillips
No slight intended here, but some people may enjoy being an assistant coach more than a head coach. Not saying that is the case here, but maybe after trying head coaching someone might prefer going back to being assistant. It’s not a negative, just a preference. Doesn’t mean she wasn’t or could not be a great head coach in the future.

If she can get two of the players we have been recruiting for a while that will be fine with me. I'm not expecting her to make anyone change their mind or get players that have been recruited by other since they were freshmen. We got some players in the top fifty that could be Lady Vols don't expect any in the top ten.

Not not afraid to put anyone name out there Samantha Williams i think you are talking about, And yes and i don`t think anything is unfair and unreasonable about my opinion i felt the same way about Holly staff as well when Elzy left it is what it is.
It definitely is what it is and if you have that energy in considering her a failure if she doesn't land those two in this class, keep the same energy when she starts landing the top players. You can have high expectations for a person but considering what she does or doesn't do as a make or break with fewer than 7 months to build a relationship with those kids who can sign early is a tad bit asinine. Especially when she can't visit them in person for another month.

Reactions: T_Vol376 and lvocd
If she can get two of the players we have been recruiting for a while that will be fine with me. I'm not expecting her to make anyone change their mind or get players that have been recruited by other since they were freshmen. We got some players in the top fifty that could be Lady Vols don't expect any in the top ten.

You know Volfan2012: Good post and i can agree with that because i know getting anyone in the 10 will not happen. But i really jump into this is because there are some on this board change position on a coach like the wind blows. You don`t need to like every move right off the back. I don`t disagree with the hire i just disagree with the lack of recruiting by the coach and staff before Williams was hired.

There are several posters who like to set unrealistic expectations then diss the coach or player when they don’t meet them. I wasn’t thinking djtee was one of them but if anyone says Coach Sam failed because the 2 uncommitted players didn’t sign with the LV’s, I can’t think of anyplace where that would be considered fair.

There are several posters who like to set unrealistic expectations then diss the coach or player when they don’t meet them. I wasn’t thinking djtee was one of them but if anyone says Coach Sam failed because the 2 uncommitted players didn’t sign with the LV’s, I can’t think of anyplace where that would be considered fair.

Let`s put this drama to bed i will take back the so call 2 uncommitted players Barker and Watkins Coach Sam failed. Just as i said before and from watching them play in person Watkins only. To me they are the only two elite players that are left on the board that i think we have a shot at or had a shot at in the class of 22. Now as for coach Williams i`m done talking about her. We can all agree to disagree.

Last edited:
SCspur from the Boneyard said:
I’m supposed to keep this a secret but..... I’m hearing she’s down to SC, NC St, Baylor, Arizona and Louisville. Not sure how accurate that is but it did come from within her Essence AAU program.

well thank you for sharing! that’s not a bad list ...

Let`s put this drama to bed i will take back the so call 2 uncommitted players Barker and Watkins Coach Sam failed. Just as i said before and from watching them play in person Watkins only. To me they are the only two elite players that are left on the board that i think we have a shot at or had a shot at in the class of 22. Now as for coach Williams i`m done talking about her. We can all agree to disagree.

I hope you’re not done talking about her! I hope she gives you something positive to talk about...

But something that you said was key. You said that YOU SAW PLAY IN PERSON. Someone like Smith from Desota is a top notch recruit (MVP of the state game in Texas’ top basketball class). She would be an impact recruit but you haven’t seen her play (and we are in her top 5). That’s fair in saying you believe that off what you saw.

I would like to see Watkins and Smith matched up.

Last edited:
No slight intended here, but some people may enjoy being an assistant coach more than a head coach. Not saying that is the case here, but maybe after trying head coaching someone might prefer going back to being assistant. It’s not a negative, just a preference. Doesn’t mean she wasn’t or could not be a great head coach in the future.

Some people enjoy the aspect of recreating a dynasty especially when it is tied to the most beloved and forward thinking woman coach of our time. Just like there are athletes who would rather be a part of rebuilding the athletic base of a program like Tennessee Lady Volsm than to topple onto a program that is already in the hunt.

And BTW, Tennessee is not that far removed from prominence,,,we beat a few teams this year we weren't supposed to. Yes, we lost to a couple of teams that we weren't supposed to, as well...But that just means we still have further to go.

Given my personal choice as to head coaching a mid-major versus working for the Tennessee Lady Vols,,,, I have absolutely no reservations at my answer...."I can be there tomorrow!"

I hope you’re not done talking about her! I hope she gives you something positive to talk about...

But something that you said was key. You said that YOU SAW PLAY IN PERSON. Someone like Smith from Desota is a top notch recruit (MVP of the state game in Texas’ top basketball class). She would be an impact recruit but you haven’t seen her play (and we are in her top 5). That’s fair in saying you believe that off what you saw.

I would like to see Watkins and Smith matched up.
My bad should have been more clear. I saw Watkins play this year she about 6-3 and strong and can jump out of the gym. Good looking jump shot and a very good rebounder. Watkins and Smith matched up would be a good one, But i would give Watkins the edge. Also SC is no lock to get Watkins.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
SCspur from the Boneyard said:
I’m supposed to keep this a secret but..... I’m hearing she’s down to SC, NC St, Baylor, Arizona and Louisville. Not sure how accurate that is but it did come from within her Essence AAU program.
I wished Rennia (she idolizes her a big sister)was able to sway her

Reactions: mlindsay
FYI - post was in a Gamescock tread within the General women’s basketball section.
Why did you say “SCSpur from the Boneyard”?
Wait do you mean General women’s basketball section in the Boneyard? Okay, I’m just confused here. Can you deconfuse?

Reactions: Will83
Why did you say “SCSpur from the Boneyard”?
Wait do you mean General women’s basketball section in the Boneyard? Okay, I’m just confused here. Can you deconfuse?
Yes, SCSpur posted in a Gamescock tread within the General women’s basketball section on the Boneyard.

Reactions: mcannon1 and Lucy

I agree with you that not signing the two high level recruits mentioned is not a reflection on Coach Sam. We just hope she can make a difference and maybe even get us involved with another or two. Not landing an elite in 2022 doesn’t reflect well on what we’ve been doing though and may have precipitated the changes. We all hope we don’t have to wait until 2023 to see the impact.

Williams will be graded on 2023 not 2022 although we already have one player that will help us tremendously and think we'll get a couple more in the top 50. I agree we need some players in the top 20 prospects but you can build a really great team with prospects in the top 50 if that is your entire roster. They are all going to be productive players and efficient players. You want to get to a point where all your players are led by a lot of seniors and juniors as your main nucleus of players. We haven't been there in the last two seasons and want be there next season. If we can continue to recruit classes in the top 15 with classes of four and they all stay, which is asking a lot ,we'll get to the type of teams we want at Tennessee.

Williams will be graded on 2023 not 2022 although we already have one player that will help us tremendously and think we'll get a couple more in the top 50. I agree we need some players in the top 20 prospects but you can build a really great team with prospects in the top 50 if that is your entire roster. They are all going to be productive players and efficient players. You want to get to a point where all your players are led by a lot of seniors and juniors as your main nucleus of players. We haven't been there in the last two seasons and want be there next season. If we can continue to recruit classes in the top 15 with classes of four and they all stay, which is asking a lot ,we'll get to the type of teams we want at Tennessee.

Remember this name in the class of 22. 6-4 Tabitha Amanze with a 6-10 wingspan, I first saw her was in NJ 2 years ago she played on the same team with Olivia Miles & Dom Darius, She is underrated trust me. Will be a force at the next level very skilled post player. As for 2022 it`s not to late to get into the recruiting war for the top players in the country just my opinion.

VN Store

Back