Concerning message from gator land, we better hurry up and get in

That’s interesting. I thought Gruden won a championship in Tampa and then took another team to it out in Cali somewhere. Weird....

In 2002 he took over a well stocked Tampa Bay team and won the Super Bowl, but went down hill from there. He did manage to make two wild card games (losses) but also had 3 losing seasons (one which was 4-12) and ended up with a .509 winning percentage (57-55) with Tampa Bay. He was fired at the end of the 2008 season, and subsequently took the job at ESPN, where I believe he makes 4 or 5 million per year with much less stress than in coaching. He has also indicated in the past that he does not want to coach college football, and my experience is that people who are in jobs that they don't want to be in do not perform well.

....then only a fool would spend another dime on Tennessee football games or merchandise.

Florida is about to fire a coach coming off back to back SEC championship appearances while our administration is hanging on dearly to a guy with a 14-22 record in the SEC.

The message would be loud and clear. The Tennessee football administration and booster don't care about winning. They only care about the bottom line.

Fire John Currie immediately. Then fire Butch Jones.

You know we are in trouble when D4H post becomes lucid.:crazy:

Reactions: 2 people
In 2002 he took over a well stocked Tampa Bay team and won the Super Bowl, but went down hill from there. He did manage to make two wild card games (losses) but also had 3 losing seasons (one which was 4-12) and ended up with a .509 winning percentage (57-55) with Tampa Bay. He was fired at the end of the 2008 season, and subsequently took the job at ESPN, where I believe he makes 4 or 5 million per year with much less stress than in coaching. He has also indicated in the past that he does not want to coach college football, and my experience is that people who are in jobs that they don't want to be in do not perform well.

Don't forget he won a SB against the team he built.

I agree everyone is sick of even talking about Butch's hot seat. The media can no longer even answer when the question is brought up. They just shake their head and say, "At this point I have no idea what John Currie is waiting on, or what he could be thinking."

Lol john currie. What a cuckold.

Reactions: 1 person
If they fire first and hire first.........I'm sorry but Curie should be fired at that point.

ONLY if Curie has something already in the works....would keeping butch all these weeks be justifiable.

....then only a fool would spend another dime on Tennessee football games or merchandise.

Florida is about to fire a coach coming off back to back SEC championship appearances while our administration is hanging on dearly to a guy with a 14-22 record in the SEC.

The message would be loud and clear. The Tennessee football administration and booster don't care about winning. They only care about the bottom line.

Slow down. They may see the writing on the wall but they're wanting to fire him for lying about the death threats.

I'm now at the point where I'm more angry at John Currie than Butch Jones. Butch can't help himself that he's a terrible coach.

John Currie is the real problem because his inaction is causing this program to suffer national embarrassment every week this crap continues.

Butch Jones should have been fired after the debacle against Georgia. John Currie is already a month late.

We finally agree on something.

Slow down. They may see the writing on the wall but they're wanting to fire him for lying about the death threats.

No, they want to fire him because they aim for national titles and he can't provide that. The lying about death threats crap just saves them from paying a 12 million dollar buyout.

You're right. He has broken the law and they can fire him for cause which means they don't have to pay him one red cent. They are already in a better position to get rid of him than we are to fire Butch.

There will be some overlap of candidates but I think both will end up with good coaches. Neither program can afford to miss on this one.

Unless you can get a Saban or maybe Swinney or one or two others (who are not likely to leave their current jobs), its pretty much a crap shoot.

It ended badly, so you may not call it great, but Bruce Pearl was a great hire

In some ways I would take his shady dealings for the success. I mean Tennessee was no 1 in the nation at basketball. I remember that 2007 game against Memphis, good times. He was a last second play against Michigan State to taking us to our first final four. Ah well, thanks for the memories Brucie.

D4H, i don't think you attended UT. So let me break some tough news to you.

The administration does not really care about a winning football program. As long as the money is flowing from Neyland to fund the rest of the athletic programs and the general scholarship dollars, they don't care.

This is why nothing has happened. And I seriously doubt anyone is losing too much sleep over it. Get used to it.

Tennessee better get busy! I’ve heard Mac may be gone as early as tomorrow (Sunday).

Excluding guys under FBI investigations, was the last great hire we've had in a major sport (WBB, MBB, and FB) Coach Fulmer 25 years ago?

Actually last great hire was Johnny majors. Just won a national championship with Pittsburg we paid what it took to get who we wanted. Since then promoted from within. Turned out pretty good then the lane train good but passed everybody off. Started downhill with tom Dooley only to follow with what our fourth or fifth choice with hold my beer butch. Where do we go now down that slippery slope or do we pay what it takes to get who we want. My number one choice would be Frost when gruden turns us down.

I'm not sure it's fair to Butch and Tennessee to make that comparison. Mac's issues stem from stubbornness and insubordination off the field more than what he's done on it. A lot of reports are surfacing about his refusal to work within the parameters of our administration and a failure to "sing from the same hymnal." Butch, on the other hand, seems to be more of a team player and a pleasure to work with in the offices. When you're a genuinely good guy, it can buy you more time versus being a snake like McElwain. Remember, we gave Muschamp another year after his 4-8 disaster in 2013 because he was well-liked by the UAA.

Butch is a good man who seems to have been dealt a bad hand. He doesn't embarrass and undermine the University of Tennessee the way Mac has UF. I don't think UT should be condemned for maybe allowing him to have another go-around with a better set of cards. Plus, he seems to genuinely be "All Vol," whereas the McElwain's apparently hate living in FL and the culture at UF (for those who aren't aware, Karen, Coach Mac's wife, has been living out in Arizona the past 6 months with their daughter who recently had a baby...she has stated many times she hates the heat and humidity of the southeast...they're both from Montana originally). So, I just think it's two different situations and Vol Nation maybe should be a little more patient with a guy like Butch who genuinely loves being at UT and wants to win there.

Thank you so much Florida fan for the very respectful and thoughtful post. Good luck to you guys in coach finding. You are welcome to Butch, he is very respectful and a team player. We'll move on to someone else (hopefully better).

I know you guys probably don't need a lizard chiming in here, but I really think the two situations are totally different.

Butch isn't actively embarrassing and undermining your university with stubbornness and insubordination the way Mac is down here. In his time at UF, Mac has:

- refused to attend department-wide meetings that are mandatory for coaches across the spectrum (he believes the football program should be set apart from the others whereas the UAA values all sports equally...one of the reasons we're so successful in many different sports)
- publicly threw the administration under the bus for the state of our facilities
- refused to take advice from Spurrier when he was made ambassador and offered tips about the offense
- questioned the administration's commitment to football after the Outback Bowl last year
- criticized the fans and administration during Signing Day last year
- moved his wife to Scottsdale, AZ, and spend offseasons in Montana because they hate the humidity of FL; constantly whining about the weather and culture in FL
- alleged receiving death threats by the fans and refused to report anything to the administration (likely just made them up)

It's rubbed our administration the wrong way and both sides seem to feel it's just best to move on.

Butch's situation is different. It's obviously not gone the way he planned on the field, but he's been dealt some bad hands and been a little hamstrung at times. Unlike Mac, though, Butch isn't a jerk to work with and is willing to adhere to his administration's policies. As I stated in another thread, being a good guy can buy you more time than if you're a snake. Muschamp was very well-regarded by both our UAA and university president, and, as such, he was brought back for another year after a disastrous 4-8 campaign in 2013 (worst season since 1979 at that point).

What I'm trying to say here is that Mac probably wouldn't be in this predicament if he'd been more of a nice guy like Butch. It's probably not fair to rip the University of Tennessee for being more patient with a good man like Butch...if their coach had a poisonous personality, like Mac, then I bet the Vol brass would've already made a move a while ago.

I'm not sure it's fair to Butch and Tennessee to make that comparison. Mac's issues stem from stubbornness and insubordination off the field more than what he's done on it. A lot of reports are surfacing about his refusal to work within the parameters of our administration and a failure to "sing from the same hymnal." Butch, on the other hand, seems to be more of a team player and a pleasure to work with in the offices. When you're a genuinely good guy, it can buy you more time versus being a snake like McElwain. Remember, we gave Muschamp another year after his 4-8 disaster in 2013 because he was well-liked by the UAA.

Butch is a good man who seems to have been dealt a bad hand. He doesn't embarrass and undermine the University of Tennessee the way Mac has UF. I don't think UT should be condemned for maybe allowing him to have another go-around with a better set of cards. Plus, he seems to genuinely be "All Vol," whereas the McElwain's apparently hate living in FL and the culture at UF (for those who aren't aware, Karen, Coach Mac's wife, has been living out in Arizona the past 6 months with their daughter who recently had a baby...she has stated many times she hates the heat and humidity of the southeast...they're both from Montana originally). So, I just think it's two different situations and Vol Nation maybe should be a little more patient with a guy like Butch who genuinely loves being at UT and wants to win there.

Good guys finish last in coaching. Sounds like you have a lot of snakes with the gators in the swamp according to ESPN sources.

I know you guys probably don't need a lizard chiming in here, but I really think the two situations are totally different.

Butch isn't actively embarrassing and undermining your university with stubbornness and insubordination the way Mac is down here. In his time at UF, Mac has:

- refused to attend department-wide meetings that are mandatory for coaches across the spectrum (he believes the football program should be set apart from the others whereas the UAA values all sports equally...one of the reasons we're so successful in many different sports)
- publicly threw the administration under the bus for the state of our facilities
- refused to take advice from Spurrier when he was made ambassador and offered tips about the offense
- questioned the administration's commitment to football after the Outback Bowl last year
- moved his wife to Scottsdale, AZ, and spend offseasons in Montana because they hate the humidity of FL; constantly whining about the weather and culture in FL
- alleged receiving death threats by the fans and refused to report anything to the administration (likely just made them up)

It's rubbed our administration the wrong way and both sides seem to feel it's just best to move on.

Butch's situation is different. It's obviously not gone the way he planned on the field, but he's been dealt some bad hands and been a little hamstrung at times. Unlike Mac, though, Butch isn't a jerk to work with and is willing to adhere to his administration's policies. As I stated in another thread, being a good guy can buy you more time than if you're a snake. Muschamp was very well-regarded by both our UAA and university president, and, as such, he was brought back for another year after a disastrous 4-8 campaign in 2013 (worst season since 1979 at that point).

What I'm trying to say here is that Mac probably wouldn't be in this predicament if he'd been more of a nice guy like Butch. It's probably not fair to rip the University of Tennessee for being more patient with a good man like Butch...if their coach had a poisonous personality, like Mac, then I bet the Vol brass would've already made a move a while ago.

Good points. If a coach is going to be a jerk, he better be winning big and he better not reach a point where he needs a friend because he won't find any. Butch doesn't coach well but he seems like a decent man.

I understand your point, however his personality only becomes a factor if he doesn't meet expectations. If he was acting like an ass but was competitive in the SECG and the like, then I'm sure UF wouldn't seriously think of firing Mac. I'm also fairly sure UF is using the fake death threat situation to jump on the opportunity to fire a coach that has not fixed the offense as he was hired to do and without having to pay the buyout.

Also, I'm betting you guys will get Kelley or Mullen. You'll be in good hands.

We have been patient. He got 5 years. We bought in. The truth is if Butch Jones was the right coach for us, a good enough coach for us, the 3rd year hes here we win the SEC east.

There's no heat and humidity in Arizona? Lol

I absolutely think Jones should be sent on his way, but as with Fulmer, he's getting some pretty undeserved hostility. He needs to go no doubt. Just without all the venom imo.

VN Store

Back