I know you guys probably don't need a lizard chiming in here, but I really think the two situations are totally different.
Butch isn't actively embarrassing and undermining your university with stubbornness and insubordination the way Mac is down here. In his time at UF, Mac has:
- refused to attend department-wide meetings that are mandatory for coaches across the spectrum (he believes the football program should be set apart from the others whereas the UAA values all sports equally...one of the reasons we're so successful in many different sports)
- publicly threw the administration under the bus for the state of our facilities
- refused to take advice from Spurrier when he was made ambassador and offered tips about the offense
- questioned the administration's commitment to football after the Outback Bowl last year
- criticized the fans and administration during Signing Day last year
- moved his wife to Scottsdale, AZ, and spend offseasons in Montana because they hate the humidity of FL; constantly whining about the weather and culture in FL
- alleged receiving death threats by the fans and refused to report anything to the administration (likely just made them up)
It's rubbed our administration the wrong way and both sides seem to feel it's just best to move on.
Butch's situation is different. It's obviously not gone the way he planned on the field, but he's been dealt some bad hands and been a little hamstrung at times. Unlike Mac, though, Butch isn't a jerk to work with and is willing to adhere to his administration's policies. As I stated in another thread, being a good guy can buy you more time than if you're a snake. Muschamp was very well-regarded by both our UAA and university president, and, as such, he was brought back for another year after a disastrous 4-8 campaign in 2013 (worst season since 1979 at that point).
What I'm trying to say here is that Mac probably wouldn't be in this predicament if he'd been more of a nice guy like Butch. It's probably not fair to rip the University of Tennessee for being more patient with a good man like Butch...if their coach had a poisonous personality, like Mac, then I bet the Vol brass would've already made a move a while ago.