Coming after Vitello

Why go somewhere else and walk in someone else's footsteps when you can create your own legacy and leave your mark on something you built from scratch?

I think that's what it boils down to. I can't speak for him, but if it were me, that thought would be the clincher. And my read on him is that he would prefer to be the big fish in the pond that he built rather than a fish in a big pressure cooker fishbowl that others built.

Following Mainieri's retirement, A source close to the LSU athletic department told Louisville Report that McDonnell was one of "four or five candidates" to become the next head baseball coach of the Tigers. The list included Vanderbilt's Tim Corbin, Florida's Kevin O'Sullivan and Tennessee's Tony Vitello.

McDonnell: I Haven't Had Contact With LSU
Corbin? 😂😂😂😂😂

I think that's what it boils down to. I can't speak for him, but if it were me, that thought would be the clincher. And my read on him is that he would prefer to be the big fish in the pond that he built rather than a fish in a big pressure cooker fishbowl that others built.

I like your analogy. I compared it the other day to buying a car. Why buy a used car from someone on craigslist, when you have the resources to go into the local dealership and place an order for a new car, built with the options you want. Sure it takes longer to get, but you're going to be far happier in the long run, and so damn proud when it arrives for pickup.

Win win, CTV gets his deserved comp and BaseVol fans are going to have a great program and facility.

@Volstylexx basically told the texags CTV is a VFL anyways. :)

I sure did... and just for good measure,I made sure to post links the other night to him running into the crowd and rolling on the field. I felt they needed to see that ;) Looks like now I need to go over to Tiger Droppings.

Wes Rucker Tweet:
#Vols AD Danny White on whether he’s committed to playing baseball at Lindsey Nelson site rather than new ballpark downtown for Cubs’ AA team: I’m committed to doing whatever our coach tells me gives us the best chance to recruit and develop players at an elite level.

#Vols AD Danny White insists he and baseball coach Tony Vitello have been discussing Lindsey Nelson Stadium expansion and enhancements for “months." Said TN baseball has by far the biggest discrepancy between its success level and its facilities. Needs to be fixed, will be fixed.

Wes Rucker Tweet:
#Vols AD Danny White on whether he’s committed to playing baseball at Lindsey Nelson site rather than new ballpark downtown for Cubs’ AA team: I’m committed to doing whatever our coach tells me gives us the best chance to recruit and develop players at an elite level.

#Vols AD Danny White insists he and baseball coach Tony Vitello have been discussing Lindsey Nelson Stadium expansion and enhancements for “months." Said TN baseball has by far the biggest discrepancy between its success level and its facilities. Needs to be fixed, will be fixed.
images (4).jpeg

I'll say it: Vitello isn't going anywhere. It would make zero sense.

1) It's become pretty evident from White's comments and reports of "sources close to the situation" that Tennessee is prepared to pay him and pay him well.
2) It's evident that White is committed to giving TV whatever facility upgrades he wants. Apparently, he's reached out to boosters and they're on board.
3) TV has proven that he can recruit the talent he needs at Tennessee BEFORE upgrades and BEFORE this year's success. He has a top 5 class coming in, the signing of which predated both. Honestly, if this team hadn't lost Leath and Joyce for the season, they might be the favorites to win it all this year.
4) It has been shown by 3 CWS appearances in 11 years and this season that you can win big at Tennessee. Facility upgrades and this year's success will make that even easier. BUT, TV will not be burdened with the weight of prior tradition like a coach would be at LSU or Texas or the like. He's building that weight for his successors. He doesn't have to live up to Skip Bertman or Augie Garrido or Ray Tanner at Tennessee...he will BE our Bertman or Garrido or Tanner.
5) Tennessee fans have shown that they'll support this program. This is arguably the most supportive overall sports fanbase in the nation. I would argue that it is, given how many times we've been punched in the face for the last decade and we keep coming back with strong full-throated support. Football is still rebuilding. The Lady Vols are down. The men's basketball program is solid, but can't seem to get to a Final 4. There is a void available for baseball to fill the hearts of this great fan base. And an opportunity to become a blueblood over the next 15 years or so.

I think Vitello has stepped into a perfect storm to become a legend at Tennessee and he knows it. He's not going to find this situation anywhere else. And he's the perfect man to take advantage of this storm.

He ain't going anywhere.

Last edited:

1) It's become pretty evident from White's comments and reports of "sources close to the situation" that Tennessee is prepared to pay him and pay him well.
2) It's evident that White is committed to giving TV whatever facility upgrades he wants. Apparently, he's reached out to boosters and they're on board.
3) TV has proven that he can recruit the talent he needs at Tennessee BEFORE upgrades and BEFORE this year's success. He has a top 5 class coming in, the signing of which predated both. Honestly, if this team hadn't lost Leath and Joyce for the season, they might be the favorites to win it all this year.
4) It has been shown by 3 CWS appearances in 11 years and this season that you can win big at Tennessee. Facility upgrades and this year's success will make that even easier. BUT, TV will not be burdened with the weight of prior tradition like a coach would be at LSU or Texas or the like. He's building that weight for his successors. He doesn't have to live up to Skip Bertman or Augie Garrido or Ray Tanner at Tennessee...he will BE our Bertman or Garrido or Tanner.
5) Tennessee fans have shown that they'll support this program. This is arguably the most supportive overall sports fanbase in the nation. I would argue that it is, given how many times we've been punched in the fact for the last decade and we keep coming back with strong full-throated support. Football is still rebuilding. The Lady Vols are down. The men's basketball program is solid, but can't seem to get to a Final 4. There is a void available for baseball to fill the hearts of this great fan base. And an opportunity to become a blueblood over the next 15 years or so.

I think Vitello has stepped into a perfect storm to become a legend at Tennessee and he knows it. He's not going to find this situation anywhere else. And he's the perfect man to take advantage of this storm.

He ain't going anywhere.

VERY well said.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

5) Tennessee fans have shown that they'll support this program. This is arguably the most supportive overall sports fanbase in the nation. I would argue that it is, given how many times we've been punched in the face for the last decade and we keep coming back with strong full-throated support. Football is still rebuilding. The Lady Vols are down. The men's basketball program is solid, but can't seem to get to a Final 4. There is a void available for baseball to fill the hearts of this great fan base. And an opportunity to become a blueblood over the next 15 years or so.

He ain't going anywhere.

That’s the long way to get to...

HE. AIN’T. LEAVING.

Wes Rucker Tweet:

BEAUTIFUL

He ain't going anywhere.

None of that matters when there hasn’t been a job offered to him

He will leave when a better job is offered: A&M passed on him and there isn’t any shame in that as they hired a more proven coach.

Reactions: Titan05 and zooguy

He will leave when a better job is offered: A&M passed on him and there isn’t any shame in that as they hired a more proven coach.

playing devil's advocate here and being very optimistic, but in a few years, there may not be a better job out there..........

That’s kinda like saying Rocker and Leiter went to Vandy because they weren’t drafted high enough.

I’ll say it again: he’s not going anywhere. I don’t care who offers.

VN Store

Back