Come on Texas really!!!

Same thing happened at Science Hill a few years back. Unfortunately, it was right AFTER they had synthetic turf installed in their new stadium. They were using Duquesne's logo and it cost them around $22,000 to have the logo changed at midfield.

This is something I've often wondered about. I've seen high schools using plenty of exact collegiate logos. Wondered if they had some sort of agreement or what? Figured it had to be above the table bcanybody in the copyright biz knows you can't let rougue use of a logo go without challenge. Looks like UTjr is doing so.

I've seen Tennessee (Trion High in Georgia uses the power T in blue), Alabama script A for a Club Volleyball, UGA/Packers for a HS team, Clemson paw on everything and the kitchen sink, FSU for a HS team, Penn.State used by Ridgeland High in me GA iirc, Michigan State more than once etc etc.

Does anyone in the HS world know if this is permissible or under the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" clause.

... oh, and of course the Vandy star is on the side of a Hardee's building. 🤣
High school information here. Normally it can be done but requires approval from the university. That is normally the “easy” part. Some charge some do not. Where issues come up with high schools is with merchandise. Most colleges have contracts to produce anything with their logo on it through the big name clothing people (adidas, Nike, etc). This can sometimes more than triple the cost of having a shirt made. This can be a big deal to smaller schools. So normally in those cases, it is better to get forgiveness and then make a change to the logo.

Same thing happened at Science Hill a few years back. Unfortunately, it was right AFTER they had synthetic turf installed in their new stadium. They were using Duquesne's logo and it cost them around $22,000 to have the logo changed at midfield.

...and, of course, Duquesne changed all their logos last year.

I mean, seriously, who is going to confuse a high school in Johnson City with a college in Pittsburgh?

SH should have told them to go pi$$ in their hat.

This is something I've often wondered about. I've seen high schools using plenty of exact collegiate logos. Wondered if they had some sort of agreement or what? Figured it had to be above the table bcanybody in the copyright biz knows you can't let rougue use of a logo go without challenge. Looks like UTjr is doing so.

I've seen Tennessee (Trion High in Georgia uses the power T in blue), Alabama script A for a Club Volleyball, UGA/Packers for a HS team, Clemson paw on everything and the kitchen sink, FSU for a HS team, Penn.State used by Ridgeland High in me GA iirc, Michigan State more than once etc etc.

Does anyone in the HS world know if this is permissible or under the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" clause.

... oh, and of course the Vandy star is on the side of a Hardee's building. 🤣
Not just high schools. UGA pretty much ripped off the Green Bay Packers logo.

Having lived in Texas for over a decade, I can confirm that they take a particular pride in making sure you know that they, and they alone, are Texas. Whereas most colleges might be "eh" about this, Texas will never be. Because they are Texas -- and more importantly, they want you to know that no one else can be.
They should be happy someone would want to use that ugly @$$ logo

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
I'm certainly not trademark lawyer (whatever they're called) but am aware that some major companies have people constantly investigating to protect their brand (logo). Disney is one of the worst. I remember a small little BBQ restaurant in Mason Tennessee (I think) that is named Bozo's. Bozo the Clown from Chicago maybe... once filed a trademark infringe case against them IIRC. It's still called Bozo's (I think) so I'm not sure of the lawsuit outcome. Point is some of these entities are dogmatic about their logo's.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
The problem becomes a legal technicality. If one does not protect one's copywritten logo, then it becomes just a symbol in the public domain and anyone can use it for just any old thing.

How did the U of T ever find Johnson Co, and what does it matter? Is Johnson Co taking money out of their pockets? Really?
That’s what I was going to ask. Is Johnson County printing Hook Em bumper stickers or Keep Mount City Weird shirts? They almost destroyed the entire Big XII because of this kind of stuff.

VN Store

Back