Colton Jumper getting the start via new depth chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBVol View Post
No he didn't. Medley missed a field goal, Ellis dropped a TD pass, Hurd fumbled and lost 11-12 yards forcing a field goal attempt, Foreman had the bad pass interference and Dobbs ended the game with an interception. Hell, Jones pretty much had our offense take a knee the last quarter and a half.

So how exactly did Jumper lose the game "singlehandedly"??

Ok Mr. Jumper.

Ok, Uncle Dobbs (no offense, all of the REAL Uncle(s) Dobbs out there) --

truly, you have another more important issue to deal with, which would be passing + protection (i.e. you should be focusing less on this defensive guy, as the Defense overall is in the right position and doing exactly what it needs to do, in holding its first two opponents to fewer points than what they were avging this past year (as I think I understand it) -- and while although Shoop did say NO ONE will run on his defense, and that's not been the case, things are ok on this front / yet I suppose likely he should not have said this prior to his year 1).

So, using your absolute 3500 total yards (being the low-end of your 3500-4000 range), Dobbs needs to avg 248 yards over the next 13 games.

Can he still pull this out? Dobbs had 254 yrds on FL last year, 279 on GA, 255 vs SC and 233 against KY.

Yet, what if we keep winning and Dobbs doesn't reach his required weekly avg to hit your 3500? Won't it be ok?

What if we keep winning, and Colton misses a few tackles or is out of position a few times as he continues to learn SEC play? Won't it be ok?

Did Dobbs ever struggle during his first 6 games as a freshman, or the games his soph year? Shucks, hasn't he thrown a few questionable passes during games 1 and 2 of this/his SR year? Of course, that's no excuse for the play of a LB, it' just food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Ok there's a kid who came into this program with great expectations placed upon him. He was a high 4 star, and expected to be a great linebacker. Now our star middle linebacker goes down for at least 3 weeks probably. Dillon Bates has his chance to make a mark on this season. He's got speed, size, and he seems to be a very cerebral player. I think Bates is the case of a guy who does better in games than in practice, and I hope this is the moment he steps up and fills in for Kirkland jr. I think he is way more capable than Colton jumper. Gavin Bryant as well is better than jumper

Here's a thought....since we seem to be moving half our linebackers to DE every year, why don't we move a player from DE to LB...I understand that players typically gain weight and go more in the direction of LB to DE or Safety to LB but...with the rave reviews DARRELL TAYLOR has been getting why not give him a look at MLB? I think he could help this team at that position with his athleticism...it's not his ideal postion, but right now he has typical MLB size and is still probably more athletic than any other Inside backer left on our roster. 6'4 240 and runs 4.55-4.65 40...could at least play the hybrid Curt Maggitt role at minimum

Here's a thought....since we seem to be moving half our linebackers to DE every year, why don't we move a player from DE to LB...I understand that players typically gain weight and go more in the direction of LB to DE or Safety to LB but...with the rave reviews DARRELL TAYLOR has been getting why not give him a look at MLB? I think he could help this team at that position with his athleticism...it's not his ideal postion, but right now he has typical MLB size and is still probably more athletic than any other Inside backer left on our roster. 6'4 240 and runs 4.55-4.65 40...could at least play the hybrid Curt Maggitt role at minimum

To do this it would take a lot of time. MLB is the QB of the defense, and moving an end to MLB in the 3rd or 4th game of the season would be a big mistake. Now if you wanted to do it in the offseason then it wouldn't be a bad thought.

To do this it would take a lot of time. MLB is the QB of the defense, and moving an end to MLB in the 3rd or 4th game of the season would be a big mistake. Now if you wanted to do it in the offseason then it wouldn't be a bad thought.

agreed...it would take him time to learn everything one needs to know at MLB...but we can both agree if he had a year or so to learn he has ideal size, athleticism, and a big personality with leadership qualities...everything you want at MLB....we're not desperate enough this year to make that move but if they lose one more backer to injury this year (knock on wood they won't) you never know.

Last edited:
agreed...it would take him time to learn everything one needs to know at MLB...but we can both agree if he had a year or so to learn he has ideal size, athleticism, and a big personality with leadership qualities...everything you want at MLB

Yes I do agree with this. He would be a terrific MLB IMO.

I would simply say that watching this kid's performance against VT, who is not at the same level as most SEC teams, he was clearly lost, missed assignments, missed tackles, and was more of a liability than a help... He may be great in practice, but under the lights he has not performed..

Didn't see enough to say that clearly. We looked "clearly lost" without his help, in the 1st quarter.

Reactions: 1 person
LWS you have been a reassuring voice today. Shoop didn't mention JRM getting work today at MLB but did mention Bates and I think Bryant? What are your thoughts on that? Do you know if JRM is working on the move if necessary for Florida and maybe Shoop didn't want to mention that. Sorry- we are all nervous about the FL game as usual and not having Kirkland potentially is an injury we sure didn't need right now. Thanks for your time and info!

maybe he will get banged up and not be able to play for florida. if he does play against florida, we will lose.
Never really hoped for that other than to knock the **** out of the other QB, and esp not a UT player...however, in this case. :-/

Wow. Finally watched the rerun of the game. I knew Jumper played poorly watching from stands but that was awful. He missed tackles over and over and got burnt badly on coverage.
I'm sorry but there is no way he's our best #2 option at MLB. I encourage everyone to watch the game again and keep an on him. It's embarrassing I'm sorry but the truth hurts.
Shoopt needs to step up and earn that pay check here

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Can Freak run a poll/contest like the pick the score contest?
It can be how many plays Ohio will run before attacking Jumper?

Wow. Finally watched the rerun of the game. I knew Jumper played poorly watching from stands but that was awful. He missed tackles over and over and got burnt badly on coverage.
I'm sorry but there is no way he's our best #2 option at MLB. I encourage everyone to watch the game again and keep an on him. It's embarrassing I'm sorry but the truth hurts.
Shoopt needs to step up and earn that pay check here

Butch says his eye discipline is off the charts!
🙄

Reactions: 1 person
I couldn't stand to read this whole thread so I'm sorry if this has already been brought up. To preface this, I think there are some good things Jumper does, but he does definitely seem a step behind when covering the RB, TE, etc.

Looking at who we have at middle linebacker (DKjr, Jumper and Bryant), Jumper is the only one of those besides DKjr that has significant playing time, especially playing time in big time games (Oklahoma and VTech). So in a pinch, like on Saturday, why wouldn't you play the 'next man up' with the most playing experience? Colton will get the 1st reps on Saturday, as opposed to 4 other guys (sapp, bates, berry, bryant) with little to no game experience.

But just as Butch said today, they will all get a chance to show what they've got. And (don't jump on me all at once English majors) just like last year between Jumper and DKjr, the better player will win the job. Everyone step away from the ledge.

Reactions: 2 people
I suspect this is a case of one player knowing how to call and set the defense vs someone that may not be ready for that challenge. Better to have one weak link on defense and everyone else in the right set than risk having a better athlete at the position while the rest of the defense is misaligned or in a state of confusion.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back