Colton Jumper getting the start via new depth chart

Our talent dictates that we're a championship team.

I just never expected we would have a coach trying to sabotage the team.

And IMO starting Colton Jumper after the way he's performed the last 2 years is tantamount to SABOTAGE.

Butch Jones will be SABOTAGING his team if he plays Colton Jumper.

You are an embarrassment to the VolNation.

Reactions: 9 people
In first start last year Jumper had one tackle for the whole game. hard working player who is neither fast enough or strong enough to play against Florida , Georgia, Texas A&M,
Alabama.. Huge drop off when compared to Kirkland..

Reactions: 3 people
Wow. Finally watched the rerun of the game. I knew Jumper played poorly watching from stands but that was awful. He missed tackles over and over and got burnt badly on coverage.
I'm sorry but there is no way he's our best #2 option at MLB. I encourage everyone to watch the game again and keep an on him. It's embarrassing I'm sorry but the truth hurts.
Shoopt needs to step up and earn that pay check here

But remember he is the greatest practice player of all time.Program says he is 6'2'' 224,some people say he is closer to 6'0'' 195 and that he runs a 4.8 fourty.sound like a sec linebacker to me.

Glad he's getting the start and here's why. He will get exposed by Ohio and the staff will be forced to find another solution. He just isn't sec material. Great story and great effort just doesn't have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people
It's unacceptable that we have had 0 development at MLB outside Kirk for the past two years iyam.

I couldn't stand to read this whole thread so I'm sorry if this has already been brought up. To preface this, I think there are some good things Jumper does, but he does definitely seem a step behind when covering the RB, TE, etc.

Looking at who we have at middle linebacker (DKjr, Jumper and Bryant), Jumper is the only one of those besides DKjr that has significant playing time, especially playing time in big time games (Oklahoma and VTech). So in a pinch, like on Saturday, why wouldn't you play the 'next man up' with the most playing experience? Colton will get the 1st reps on Saturday, as opposed to 4 other guys (sapp, bates, berry, bryant) with little to no game experience.

But just as Butch said today, they will all get a chance to show what they've got. And (don't jump on me all at once English majors) just like last year between Jumper and DKjr,the better player will win the job. Everyone step away from the ledge.

The problem with that logic is it'll cost us games in the meantime. Last year the Jumper experiment cost us 2 games.

There ain't preseason games in college football. We can't afford to experiment with players while playing must win games.

Putting Colton Jumper out there after his putrid performances is tantamount to SABOTAGE.

Last edited:
I suspect this is a case of one player knowing how to call and set the defense vs someone that may not be ready for that challenge. Better to have one weak link on defense and everyone else in the right set than risk having a better athlete at the position while the rest of the defense is misaligned or in a state of confusion.

But they had an entire year to prepare for this situation. You don't continue to put a guy out there that can't play simply because he knows the playbook.

If this staff had any sense they would have prepared for this scenario by having a guy ready to backup DKjr that isn't a total liabilty on the field.

This is inexcusable.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not at practice so I can't say who needs to play.

But you can watch the games and see Jumper doesn't have what it takes.

The fact they don't have anyone else ready is an indictment on Butch Jones and his coaching staff.

This is the equivalent of coaching malpractice IMO. They should have had someone else ready to take over DKjr if he were to to down. Someone who actually has the talent to play at this level.

I suspect this is a case of one player knowing how to call and set the defense vs someone that may not be ready for that challenge. Better to have one weak link on defense and everyone else in the right set than risk having a better athlete at the position while the rest of the defense is misaligned or in a state of confusion.

This is lost on most folks. They would rather the better athlete play and the defense fall apart. Truth is, if the others were completely ready to take on this role, they would have been number 2 on the depth chart.

There is also too much "see what happened last year". That was team 119 with a different DC. This is team 120, with a different DC and set of players.

the real indictment here is the players behind Jumper. They are scholarship players who have not shown the coaches (including 2 coordinators) enough to put Jumper on the bench. Why? These players need to step up and fight for the job and just haven't done so.

I can promise you I've never been around a single coach (been around Tennessee coaches since the 80s) that are not putting the very best player on the field in games they believe give them the best chance to win. They don't spend 80-100 hours a week in the complex to play a worse player over a better player. Be idiotic. Be coaching suicide. You better assume they are doing that and maybe even hope the worse player doesn't get on the field.

we can cry about it all we want to but the bottom line is Jumper is outperforming players on scholarship. Been around a lot of players who are okay with that and just getting their education. This is also going back to the 80s

Reactions: 9 people
But they had an entire year to prepare for this situation. You don't continue to put a guy out there that can't play simply because he knows the playbook.

If this staff had any sense they would have prepared for this scenario by having a guy ready to backup DKjr that isn't a total liabilty on the field.

This is inexcusable.

Possibility that the staff was wrong in their evaluations of the recruits being brought in for that position. There's also a more likely explanation. It's very likely that those recruits, while being physically prepared to do the job, simply aren't able to grasp the mental aspect of the position. It can be overwhelming for kids who've never been asked to take on such complexities of being the "QB of the defense" to do so at the SEC level. Case in point. There was a player from a small program in TN several years ago. Can't recall the name. He was the second coming. Physical "beast". Sure thing and a starter at UT from day one. Simply put....he was never able to handle the mental aspect. Never got on the field. A bust. It happens. Not saying that's the case with these recruits, but for some, it just takes more time than fans would like. Is it unacceptable? Probably, but that's not going to change the reality of the situation. This is the same old hand UT keeps being dealt. It's always something with this program.

Reactions: 1 person
But remember he is the greatest practice player of all time.Program says he is 6'2'' 224,some people say he is closer to 6'0'' 195 and that he runs a 4.8 fourty.sound like a sec linebacker to me.

"some people"...... ?

"some people" say there's a family out there that owns an oil well and they have a son who is 5'9" and 180 lbs that plays QB. They're willing to donate a gazillion $$$ if he can start at QB. Guess we're soon gonna be loaded with rich kids that can't play football.

comical.

Let Shoop sort it out.

But you can watch the games and see Jumper doesn't have what it takes.

The fact they don't have anyone else ready is an indictment on Butch Jones and his coaching staff.

This is the equivalent of coaching malpractice IMO. They should have had someone else ready to take over DKjr if he were to to down. Someone who actually has the talent to play at this level.

Many may say the same about the object of your lust and desire and his passing game.

That's why you should refrain from commenting on threads such as these. Don't comment on flaws or inabilities of one player while completely ignoring others to fit your arguments.

Reactions: 4 people
Program says he is 6'2'' 224,some people say he is closer to 6'0'' 195 and that he runs a 4.8 fourty.sound like a sec linebacker to me.

Some people say...what kind of a BS reference is that?

I'll bet my house Jumper is over 200 lbs and is not the slowest LB on the depth chart...any takers?

Reactions: 4 people
the real indictment here is the players behind Jumper. They are scholarship players who have not shown the coaches (including 2 coordinators) enough to put Jumper on the bench. Why? These players need to step up and fight for the job and just haven't done so.

I can promise you I've never been around a single coach (been around Tennessee coaches since the 80s) that are not putting the very best player on the field in games they believe give them the best chance to win. They don't spend 80-100 hours a week in the complex to play a worse player over a better player. Be idiotic. Be coaching suicide. You better assume they are doing that and maybe even hope the worse player doesn't get on the field.

we can cry about it all we want to but the bottom line is Jumper is outperforming players on scholarship. Been around a lot of players who are okay with that and just getting their education. This is also going back to the 80s

Horrible freaking roster development if this is the case.

can promise you I've never been around a single coach (been around Tennessee coaches since the 80s) that are not putting the very best player on the field in games they believe give them the best chance to win. They don't spend 80-100 hours a week in the complex to play a worse player over a better player. Be idiotic. Be coaching suicide. You better assume they are doing that and maybe even hope the worse player doesn't get on the field.

Well said. I've never understood how anyone can believe the coaches don't put the best player available in the game. After all, their jobs depend on winning.

Reactions: 2 people
It will be interesting to see how long Jumper stays in the game until they let some other players have a shot. This is the game to do this in- not next week. Hoping that is the coaches plan because SOMEONE else- Bates, Bryant, JRM, Sapp, McDowell someone needs to have some reps there before we face FL.

Logic don't go around here Larry. People have a hard time wrapping there head around this concept.. Maybe they've spent to much time around high school football where favoritism and some of the other conspiracy theories talked about here actually happen..

If the father being a big donor thing is real and Butch and Shoop are being forced to play him, then some major pieces of Tennessee athletics needs to fired immediately.

His father is 100% the 4th biggest donor to UT. Not saying that Jay Jumper is forcing CBJ to play his son. Just saying that he is a big donor.

Passed him on campus two days ago. The 6'0" 195 lbs guess is spot on judging by his chest width, forearm size, and small calves.

VN Store

Back