College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

I said all year that everybody was bashing Evan when he really did not have a fair shot. When his throws were really really good he got guys out but they had to be dead on and really quick. I believe that they are looking for a really good receiving catcher with a strong bat. Bradfield Was a difference maker for Vandy this year. Those guys are really rare

To @preacherman20 's point, the coaching philosophy is focus on the batter at the plate. There were several games when the runners advanced from 1st to 2nd and even from 2nd to 3rd, only to be left on base when the batter/batters were retired. Yes they stole the base, but nothing became of it.
I can remember a couple of games when a man getting to third resulted in a run scored, but to the point, it didn't cost us the game. I think ND did it in the 2nd game of the series, and maybe Bradfield from Vandy once.
It was game 3 of the Notre Dame game in the second inning. Zyska stole second and third then scored on a groundout. It tied the game up at the time. Not saying it mattered in the end, but it was a big run at the time.

Reactions: Titan05
Ya'll can argue this all day long and for the next offseason but the philosophy is not changing. They will not develop a slide step if they don't have one. They will work on quicker pickoff moves but will not change their pitching motion with a runner of base. It is his philosophy and has worked out pretty well. The ability to throw 98 to the plate makes up for a slide step versus a 92 to the plate out of a slide step. This is what FA teaches and no matter how much some of you disagree it is his philosophy and won't change because it has been his for years and has worked out pretty well for his staffs. I looked back over losses and don't think holding runners was responsible for a single loss this year. It may frustrated some of you but I pretty sure that will not play into FA's thoughts at all but it did not cost us a game.

Which makes a defensive catcher with a strong, accurate arm all the more valuable. For when we have a chance to throw a runner out by a strong, accurate throw, we can get the out.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It was game 3 of the Notre Dame game in the second inning. Zyska stole second and third then scored on a groundout. It tied the game up at the time. Not saying it mattered in the end, but it was a big run at the time.
keep the ball in the ballpark helps. That was Burns demise.

Was Russell’s % at throwing out runners much worse than Pavloney’s in 2021? I recall that CP was something like 8 out of 42 throwing out runners in 2021. And CP was working with a more experienced starting 3, including one LHP.

This is all about Anderson’s philosophy. They simply do not hold runners well and have no real intention of changing. Whoever is behind the plate will have a poor % throwing out base stealers due to this philosophy. So he’d better be at least an average offensive threat.

There's a lot more to being a good defensive catcher than just throwing out runners. Having a good defensive catcher is an absolute must.

Evan was a good defensive catcher. He handled the pitchers and the pitch call well, he blocked pitches in the dirt well, etc. His arm was average in strength, but his accuracy was poor for the first two thirds or so of the season. And that is understandable as it was his first college season playing the position. I haved noted here numerous times that he got more accurate as the season progressed, and was able to throw out a number of runners, despite the pitching staff philosophy. And he had a very good bat, too.

You can't justify putting a defensive stiff with a good bat behind the dish just because the pitchers are slow in their delivery to the plate.

I said all year that everybody was bashing Evan when he really did not have a fair shot. When his throws were really really good he got guys out but they had to be dead on and really quick. I believe that they are looking for a really good receiving catcher with a strong bat. Bradfield Was a difference maker for Vandy this year. Those guys are really rare

Agree about Evan, and about how rare a good defensive and offensive catcher is. Take a look at a rookie for the Baltimore Orioles, Adley Rutschman. He has all the tools and is likely the next great MLB catcher.

One reason a top flight receiver may cast a wandering eye elsewhere if looking toward the 2023 draft.
Scouts don’t look at stats as much as the average fan. It helps, but doesn’t carry as much weight. They know what to look for, projection, etc. and how their game translates to the pros. They understand the reason behind the numbers if there are other circumstances.

No they didn’t. They scored their first run when the guy who stole 2nd and reached 3rd on an error, was knocked in with a 2 run HR. If he’s thrown out yeah it’s 1-0 off the HR instead of 2-0. But if he holds tight at 1st it’s still 2-0. I don’t think you can point to him stealing a base as to why he scored.
game 3. Ball never left infield
69A3CE24-6CE5-4866-990B-EA33069B0D21.jpeg

Skenes is a starter, and we have our rotation already set. Feels like we’ve probably moved on a bit from Skenes sincs the momentum has cooled off. Sad.
Still really hoping we pull that one out

Skenes is an awesome catcher/2-way player. But he projects as RHP for draft, so I think he’ll want to go somewhere he can pitch. Unfortunately, I think Texas A&M and Miss State have the edge with Arkansas as a long shot.

Skenes is an awesome catcher/2-way player. But he projects as RHP for draft, so I think he’ll want to go somewhere he can pitch. Unfortunately, I think Texas A&M and Miss State have the edge with Arkansas as a long shot.
Surprising that pitcher is where he’s projected to be drafted at - though I’ll admit I had barely heard of him until a few weeks ago

As it relates to Bradfield…he was 46/46. No one caught him stealing even once and every time he gets on 1B, everyone in the stadium knows he’s leaving. I agree, really rare to see.

There's a lot more to being a good defensive catcher than just throwing out runners. Having a good defensive catcher is an absolute must.

Evan was a good defensive catcher. He handled the pitchers and the pitch call well, he blocked pitches in the dirt well, etc. His arm was average in strength, but his accuracy was poor for the first two thirds or so of the season. And that is understandable as it was his first college season playing the position. I haved noted here numerous times that he got more accurate as the season progressed, and was able to throw out a number of runners, despite the pitching staff philosophy. And he had a very good bat, too.

You can't justify putting a defensive stiff with a good bat behind the dish just because the pitchers are slow in their delivery to the plate.

Completely agree. But since the subject was throwing out base stealers, that’s the point I was addressing. Let’s be honest…if we’re going to compete for a spot in Omaha, we need a guy who is good behind the plate and isn’t an automatic out. We need both, in other words.

VN Store

Back