College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

You can’t have a black hole in your batting lineup in today’s college baseball, as offensive as the game is now.
Depends on the defensive package. Jason Castro catches for Justin Verlander. Battery mates by Verlander’s choice, I’m sure. …Castro is pretty rough with a bat, until he isn’t.

You can’t have a black hole in your batting lineup in today’s college baseball, as offensive as the game is now.
You also can not award 3rd base a runners put on base by walks and hit batsmen. Look back at the season at the loses/. How often did we walk a batter or hit a batter and they end up on 3rd base and score on a ground ball or a sac fly? Especially late in the season and the play offs.

Reactions: feathersax
You also can not award 3rd base a runners put on base by walks and hit batsmen. Look back at the season at the loses/. How often did we walk a batter or hit a batter and they end up on 3rd base and score on a ground ball or a sac fly? Especially late in the season and the play offs.

Again…those bags were mostly stolen on pitchers. When a runner has taken 3 strides before the ball is released to home, he’s gonna be safe. No matter who is catching. Our pitchers don’t slide step. They’re gonna get stolen on. So you might as well have a bat in the lineup. Otherwise, you’ve got an automatic out in your lineup in order to make base stealers safe by a smaller margin.

Again…those bags were mostly stolen on pitchers. When a runner has taken 3 strides before the ball is released to home, he’s gonna be safe. No matter who is catching. Our pitchers don’t slide step. They’re gonna get stolen on. So you might as well have a bat in the lineup. Otherwise, you’ve got an automatic out in your lineup in order to make base stealers safe by a smaller margin.
I think we have expressed our feelings about the issue and we are both seeing it from a different angle. We both . I think, agree that the percentage of runners caught stealing was way too low and that something needs to be done to improve that percentage. I am not sure Anderson is going to change the pitching motion of many of our pitchers. I'd he does, we may see some improvement. The the defensive play of our catcher next year is more accurate, we may see some more improvement. But the fact remains, we need improvement regardless from where it comes.

I think we have expressed our feelings about the issue and we are both seeing it from a different angle. We both . I think, agree that the percentage of runners caught stealing was way too low and that something needs to be done to improve that percentage. I am not sure Anderson is going to change the pitching motion of many of our pitchers. I'd he does, we may see some improvement. The the defensive play of our catcher next year is more accurate, we may see some more improvement. But the fact remains, we need improvement regardless from where it comes.
He’s going to have to adjust it. It played a role in getting us beat this year. Notre dame scored there first run off a guy taking second and third base and planned to run anytime they got on base. You can’t let every single or walk turn into a double. I feel certain that will be worked on heavily in the off-season. Besides that, professionally both Doolander and Burns are going to have to be quicker to the plate.

Two of our starters last year were freshmen. They might get better at holding runners on as sophomores.

They weren't alwasy stolen on pitchers. Sometimes, yes, and sometimes a quick accurate throw would have gotten them but our catcher was not adept at accurate throws most of the season. He got better near the end. It wasn't always the pitcher's fault. It depended a lot on who the pitcher was. Burns took a lot of time to the plate, even in the stretch. But he was just a freshman. He'll learn.

Was Russell’s % at throwing out runners much worse than Pavloney’s in 2021? I recall that CP was something like 8 out of 42 throwing out runners in 2021. And CP was working with a more experienced starting 3, including one LHP.

This is all about Anderson’s philosophy. They simply do not hold runners well and have no real intention of changing. Whoever is behind the plate will have a poor % throwing out base stealers due to this philosophy. So he’d better be at least an average offensive threat.

Last edited:
Was Russell’s % at throwing out runners much worse than Pavloney’s in 2021? I recall that CP was something like 8 out of 42 throwing out runners in 2021. And CP was working with a more experienced starting 3, including one LHP.

This is all about Anderson’s philosophy. They simply do not hold runners well and have no real intention of changing. Whoever is behind the plate will have a poor % throwing out base stealers due to this philosophy. So he’d better be at least an average offensive threat.
One reason a top flight receiver may cast a wandering eye elsewhere if looking toward the 2023 draft.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

This.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: preacherman20
One reason a top flight receiver may cast a wandering eye elsewhere if looking toward the 2023 draft.

Nah. Scouts are smarter than that. They can look at film and tell where the issue lies. Skenes or an elite talent wouldn’t see their draft stock fall even if on paper it looked like they weren’t throwing runners out.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
question for the statisticians on the site, how many runs were scored due to the opposing team stealing a base? I'm guessing very little and almost ZERO that were significant to the game. Not arguing the topic, however in my opinion it can be towards the bottom of the list when looking at ways to win a game.

Not often. I don’t think base stealing cost us one single game.

if the pitchers timing isn’t improved upon it won’t matter who’s arm is behind the plate. A throw isn’t making up for 1/2 a second lost on the move home.

Ya'll can argue this all day long and for the next offseason but the philosophy is not changing. They will not develop a slide step if they don't have one. They will work on quicker pickoff moves but will not change their pitching motion with a runner of base. It is his philosophy and has worked out pretty well. The ability to throw 98 to the plate makes up for a slide step versus a 92 to the plate out of a slide step. This is what FA teaches and no matter how much some of you disagree it is his philosophy and won't change because it has been his for years and has worked out pretty well for his staffs. I looked back over losses and don't think holding runners was responsible for a single loss this year. It may frustrated some of you but I pretty sure that will not play into FA's thoughts at all but it did not cost us a game.

He’s going to have to adjust it. It played a role in getting us beat this year. Notre dame scored there first run off a guy taking second and third base and planned to run anytime they got on base. You can’t let every single or walk turn into a double. I feel certain that will be worked on heavily in the off-season. Besides that, professionally both Doolander and Burns are going to have to be quicker to the plate.
No they didn’t. They scored their first run when the guy who stole 2nd and reached 3rd on an error, was knocked in with a 2 run HR. If he’s thrown out yeah it’s 1-0 off the HR instead of 2-0. But if he holds tight at 1st it’s still 2-0. I don’t think you can point to him stealing a base as to why he scored.

Ya'll can argue this all day long and for the next offseason but the philosophy is not changing. They will not develop a slide step if they don't have one. They will work on quicker pickoff moves but will not change their pitching motion with a runner of base. It is his philosophy and has worked out pretty well. The ability to throw 98 to the plate makes up for a slide step versus a 92 to the plate out of a slide step. This is what FA teaches and no matter how much some of you disagree it is his philosophy and won't change because it has been his for years and has worked out pretty well for his staffs. I looked back over losses and don't think holding runners was responsible for a single loss this year. It may frustrated some of you but I pretty sure that will not play into FA's thoughts at all but it did not cost us a game.

The series that sticks in my memory was Lexington. Seemed like they were taking second and third with ease. But, perhaps it didn't cost us a game?

I don’t think anything with the pitching staff necessarily needs to change either. I was just trying to defend Evan Russell due to what I feel like is a lot of unfair heat he got this year for his defense.

To @preacherman20 's point, the coaching philosophy is focus on the batter at the plate. There were several games when the runners advanced from 1st to 2nd and even from 2nd to 3rd, only to be left on base when the batter/batters were retired. Yes they stole the base, but nothing became of it.
I can remember a couple of games when a man getting to third resulted in a run scored, but to the point, it didn't cost us the game. I think ND did it in the 2nd game of the series, and maybe Bradfield from Vandy once.

VN Store

Back