8. Notre Dame
9. Miami
10. Georgia
11. Penn State
12. Michigan
13. Oregon
14. Nebraska
15. Tennessee

And the distance between the Top 3 and the rest is ridiculous.

I like this list with the exception of Notre Dame. Unless we're talking historically. If we're talking just the present I'd have to move Notre Dame, Nebraska, and maybe Miami down. I'm guessing this is a present list since Oregon is on it. They're only going to get better with all of the Nike $$.

Tennessee is still potentially a top 10-15ish job. But right now we are in a huge hole. The reason why we have coaches from places like Utah and TCU and Air Force turning us down is because nobody wants to be the one to clean the mess up. It's that simple.

Or could it be that they don't have the guts or confidence to take on the task and expectations of competeing in the SEC ?

I don't know for certain that we were turned down by any of the coaches you mentioned but could be, anyway in Calhouns place I can see him staying at Air Force in any situation, he's an Air Force grad, played QB there said he loved The Academy and was dedicated to it, it's possible that that is his dream job.

If you asked this question a decade ago then Tennessee would likely have been a top five job. We have the same resources as we did then. With the right coach, this job is easily top ten. We have the fanbase, the money and the right conference. It is ridiculous to mention the Iowa job in the same sentence.

To h.s. kids getting in the NFL is the pitch you can sell them on and Miami has the most NFL players right now but I thought to start this season Tenn had either the 3rd most starters or overall players on NFL teams as of opening day which is not too far behind. Getting to a BCS game in the ACC/Big East which is what Miami has been in the past 10 years isn't anywhere near as difficult getting in thru the SEC.

If you are just going to look at bowls, you have to factor in most of the time the SEC has a lower ranked(conference standing)team against a higher ranked(conference standing)team. This year, for instance:
BCS NC-SEC#1 vs. Big XII #1
Sugar Bowl-SEC #2 vs Big East #1
Cotton Bowl-SEC #4 vs. Big XII #2
Outback Bowl-SEC #5 vs. Big X #4
CFA Bowl-SEC #6 vs ACC #2
Music City Bowl-SEC #7 vs. ACC #5
Liberty Bowl-SEC #8 vs. C-USA #1
Independence Bowl-SEC#9 vs. Big XII #7
Papa Johns Bowl-SEC #10 vs Big East #4

Or could it be that they don't have the guts or confidence to take on the task and expectations of competeing in the SEC ?

I would guess that they might have had a lot more guts and confidence about competing in the SEC if they would have had A) more than 50 scholarship players coming back, and B) more than two weeks to salvage a recruiting class. The roster situation was bad before Kiffin left, but at least we were going to be augmenting it with a top 5 recruiting class. Take a bunch of those kids away and suddenly whoever took the job was inheriting a really bad situation.

Tennessee is still potentially a top 10-15ish job. But right now we are in a huge hole. The reason why we have coaches from places like Utah and TCU and Air Force turning us down is because nobody wants to be the one to clean the mess up. It's that simple.
:good!:
I agree. UT definitely used to be top 10, but right now is still on the fringe of top 15. Winning tradition, facilities, fan support, league, location, etc. all add up to top 10. The extra work/time involved in recruiting as compared to some other top programs is UT's only real down side. When UT gets back to its rightful place of regularly posting 9-10+ win seasons and competing for SEC championships it will definitely be considered a top 10 program/HC job again.

The best measure IMO would be whether a coach at those schools would leave that job to take yours. The coach at Duke turned you down and you hired the definition of mediocre vanilla from behind a desk at La. Tech.

Your opinion is garbage, you are throwing out a lot of circumstances and false information in this post. Stop trolling, UT is at worse a top 15 job and always will be. P.S. our tradition blows Florida's out of the water.

Last edited:
The best measure IMO would be whether a coach at those schools would leave that job to take yours. The coach at Duke turned you down and you hired the definition of mediocre vanilla from behind a desk at La. Tech.

the fact that you think cutcliffe would prefer to coach at duke over UT is hysterical and greatly overlooks the importance of minute details, contracts, etc.

Yeah LG1 just spits out words to see where they splatter. He doesn't believe anything he actually says, or does it hardly ever make sense.

I would guess that they might have had a lot more guts and confidence about competing in the SEC if they would have had A) more than 50 scholarship players coming back, and B) more than two weeks to salvage a recruiting class. The roster situation was bad before Kiffin left, but at least we were going to be augmenting it with a top 5 recruiting class. Take a bunch of those kids away and suddenly whoever took the job was inheriting a really bad situation.

Oh, I agree, but nobody said it was going to be easy, the SEC is no cake walk with a loaded roster but IMO it takes an individual with a boatload of guts and confidence to take on a job in the SEC period when they are making a comfortable living already. Nothing against the Utahs and TCUs of the world but wins are much tougher to come by here in the SEC thus more room for failure. I take a little comfort in the fact that CDD had the guts to take on the job, it may make no difference, he may not be able to coach a lick but the fact he took on this job with the situation as is like you described tells me he's no coward and guys with guts are successful more often than not, that's the way I see it anyway.

Last edited:
If fan support is a factor, then Tennessee should be up there. On the other hand, USC typically wins 10 plus games per year and can't even fill up their stadium. If somebody refers to a sellout at USC, there's a good chance that they're referring to Lane Kiffin.

As was mentioned. We are a top 8-12 program depending. But as far as the job goes recruiting to a place like Tennessee is much harder to do than at a place like Florida, Texas, or USC. Coaches can be successful at Tennessee, it it just takes more work than it does at other schools. So I would agree the "job" falls more into the catagory of top 15-20.

the fact that you think cutcliffe would prefer to coach at duke over UT is hysterical and greatly overlooks the importance of minute details, contracts, etc.

Ummm.... we are talking about the best coaching jobs and you think things like "minute details" such as contracts should be excluded from the conversation? Huh?

Yeah LG1 just spits out words to see where they splatter. He doesn't believe anything he actually says, or does it hardly ever make sense.

I daresay a full 40 % of the people posting on here agree with me, though perhaps only half that number would admit it.

I think these rankings are absurd. The reason we're lower right now is strictly because of the timing, and how we're behind on scholarship players. Would anybody have put Bama or Florida at the top BEFORE Saban and Meyer got there? No...

yes, i would have.

i think ucla is a potential great job, but they have been dormant for years.

no reason ucla-usc game can't be a matchup of top 10 teams on a near annual basis.

How is Miami anywhere near this list? Top 10 all-time program? Of course. Top coaching job today??? No way, otherwise they would have a better coach, and they know it. Miami is NOT a job that the "big dogs" of the coaching world would even consider, and I don't think that's hard to argue. I can't think of any coach from a top program that would leave to go to Miami. And they're not getting any better any time soon. They won 9 games this year and, IMO, overeachieved big time.

I also can't see why ND is on here, although I can imagine a big name coach going there, so I can't really pout too much about it.

I think UT is a better job that some of you think, and that's saying a lot coming from a UF fan. It blows my mind how hard it was for you guys to get someone on board, and in the end had to "settle" for Dooley. Not a bad hire at the stage of the game you were in though - he's got potential, that's for sure.

Ummm.... we are talking about the best coaching jobs and you think things like "minute details" such as contracts should be excluded from the conversation? Huh?

I daresay a full 40 % of the people posting on here agree with me, though perhaps only half that number would admit it.

I dare say that 90% of the people posting here knew when you put Miss State on your list that you had no clue what you were talking about and won't have one bit of a problem admitting it.

I would say that FL, AL, ND (perception way more than reality), OSU, OK, USC, Texas, and Penn State. I could probably name a couple more that may be more valued (Michigan for instance). The others are on par with the TN job. I find most people in TN are unrealistic about the program. They either think its the best thing in college football or they rate it lower than what it deserves. As for Lane's 10-15 comment, I wouldn't put too much into what he says or thinks.

Right now?

In no particular order:

Florida
Alabama
LSU
Auburn
FSU
Miami
Georgia
Va Tech
Ga. Tech
W. Va.
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Notre Dame
USC
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
UCLA
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Miss State
TCU
Clemson

I don't know what happened to you, but in just a couple of years you've gone from being an interesting, valuable poster to someone who sprays out mostly worthless noise.

As was mentioned. We are a top 8-12 program depending. But as far as the job goes recruiting to a place like Tennessee is much harder to do than at a place like Florida, Texas, or USC. Coaches can be successful at Tennessee, it it just takes more work than it does at other schools. So I would agree the "job" falls more into the catagory of top 15-20.

TN definitely has problems digging up in state talent. We are not the only ones who have these same issues. Nebraska, Oklahoma, ND and to a lesser extent Michigan, and OSU all have recruiting issues (because of in state talent). I don't think its possible for any team in the nation to win without sucking at least some skill players out of the deep south. Remember Nebraska's double NC? I'll give you one guess as to what state you think Tommy Frazier was from?

Right now?

In no particular order:

Florida
Alabama
LSU
Auburn
FSU
Miami
Georgia
Va Tech
Ga. Tech
W. Va.
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Notre Dame
USC
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
UCLA
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Miss State
TCU
Clemson

Good grief, that's all I can say about that list.

VN Store

Back