9.) Penn State
10.) Georgia
11) Tennessee
12) Nebraska
13) Florida State
14.) Notre Dame
15.) Auburn

Last edited:
Depends on whether one equates easiest with best. In terms of easiest -- easiest to recruit talent, easiest to win the most games, easiest to conference titles, easiest to the BCS, easiest to national titles, etc...that would be:

Tier 1
1: USC, far and away (richest recruiting grounds with least competition for recruits or on the field)

Tier 2
2.Texas (tied for richest recruiting grounds, but must compete with OU & A&M in some parts of the state, as well as 2nd tier BCS programs in other parts of the state, but mid-level competition in Big 12 substitutes)
3.Florida (tied for richest recruiting grounds, but must compete in part of the state with Miami & another part of the state with Florida State & Georgia, plus SEC schedule)
4. Alabama (rich recruiting from being smack dab in the middle of the deep south, with Atlanta to Memphis within a 5 hour drive of campus, but SEC competition)
5. LSU or Ohio State or Georgia or Oklahoma (good recruiting grounds, but often over-depend on in-state "great" years to compete with the elite 4)

Tier 3
9. Penn State (ain't been the same since the steel mills started leavin')
10. Texas A&M (always in the shadow of their "UT")
11. UCLA (basketball reigns, not football, for L.A. commits)
12. Florida State (another sister school in the shadow of the banner state school)
13. Miami (too-far-down locale & iffy facilities diminishes appeal)

Tier 4
14. Clemson (good recruiting region & ACC competition; wonder what would happen if they could ever do for in-state talent what Saban did at LSU & Bama)
15. South Carolina (share with Clemson but must compete in SEC)
16. North Carolina (a dozen or NFL-type talents a year in-state with ACC schedule)
17. Cal (academics appeals to some & forecloses others, but plenty of Bay talent)
18. Michigan (decent regional talent with national prominence as a program)

Tier 5
19. Notre Dame (national appeal and co-religionist pitch, but academics and lack of local talent base still a problem)
20. Tennessee (national appeal, but smallest nearby in-state talent pool of any program one could list in the top 50, save maybe Nebraska)
21. Nebraska (national appeal, but also struggling to compete on recruiting field)
22. Michigan State (some history, but average local talent pool)
23. Georgia Tech (some history, but academics and sister-school status to UGA limit appeal)
24. West Virginia (close enough to some real pockets of talent plus Big Least schedule)
25. Pitt (see WVA)

I liked your list...but made some changes based on some additional ideas.

Tier 1
1. USC, far and away (richest recruiting grounds with least competition for recruits or on the field)
2.Texas (tied for richest recruiting grounds, but must compete with OU & A&M in some parts of the state, as well as 2nd tier BCS programs in other parts of the state, but mid-level competition in Big 12 substitutes)
3.Florida (tied for richest recruiting grounds, but must compete in part of the state with Miami & another part of the state with Florida State & Georgia, plus SEC schedule)

Tier 2
4. Alabama (rich recruiting from being smack dab in the middle of the deep south, with Atlanta to Memphis within a 5 hour drive of campus, but SEC competition)
5. LSU (good recruiting grounds, but often over-depend on in-state "great" years to compete with the elite 4)
6. Ohio State (good recruiting grounds, but often over-depend on in-state "great" years to compete with the elite 4)
7. Oklahoma (good recruiting grounds, but often over-depend on in-state "great" years to compete with the elite 4)

Tier 3
8. Notre Dame (national appeal and co-religionist pitch, but academics and lack of local talent base still a problem but like it or not and bad years or not this is still a big time job and BCS tie in is huge.)
9. Florida State (another sister school in the shadow of the banner state school)
10. Penn State (ain't been the same since the steel mills started leavin')
11. Tennessee (national appeal, but smallest nearby in-state talent pool of any program one could list in the top 50, save maybe Nebraska - but facilities and money still count for something.)
12. UGA (good recruiting grounds, but often over-depend on in-state "great" years to compete plus they still haven't beat Tenn and Fla in the same year in over two decades so still waiting for delivery of the goods.)

Tier 4
13. UCLA (basketball reigns, not football, for L.A. commits)
14. Miami (too-far-down locale & iffy facilities diminishes appeal)
15. Clemson (good recruiting region & ACC competition; wonder what would happen if they could ever do for in-state talent what Saban did at LSU & Bama)
16. Texas A&M (Solid opportunity and great facilities but too much competition with Texas and Oklahoma for prizes.)
17. South Carolina (share with Clemson but must compete in SEC)
18. Cal (academics appeals to some & forecloses others, but plenty of Bay talent)
19. Michigan (decent regional talent with national prominence as a program)

Tier 5
20. Auburn (In the shadow of Bama but still a strong recruiting base and an outside shot at division titles every year.)
21. Nebraska (national appeal, but also struggling to compete on recruiting field)
23. Georgia Tech (some history, but academics and sister-school status to UGA limit appeal)
24. West Virginia (close enough to some real pockets of talent plus Big Least schedule)
25. Virginia Tech (close enough to some real pockets of talent plus ACC schedule)

Last edited:
The interesting thing is that everybody is putting Alabama so high, because it demonstrates how fluid this whole thing is. A few years ago that was regarded as a radioactive job because of how unreasonable expectations were. Then all it takes is adding a great coach to an already talented but underachieving team and boom, it's abruptly one of the best three jobs in the country. Perceptions change quickly.

Right on. It depends on the current success of the program that determines how attractive the job is.
I bet we were one of the top 5 dream jobs from 1995-2000.

Depends on whether one equates easiest with best. In terms of easiest -- easiest to recruit talent, easiest to win the most games, easiest to conference titles, easiest to the BCS, easiest to national titles, etc...that would be:

Tier 1
1: USC, far and away (richest recruiting grounds with least competition for recruits or on the field)

Tier 2
5. LSU or Ohio State or Georgia or Oklahoma (good recruiting grounds, but often over-depend on in-state "great" years to compete with the elite 4)

Tier 3
9. Penn State (ain't been the same since the steel mills started leavin')
10. Texas A&M (always in the shadow of their "UT")
11. UCLA (basketball reigns, not football, for L.A. commits)
12. Florida State (another sister school in the shadow of the banner state school)
13. Miami (too-far-down locale & iffy facilities diminishes appeal)

Tier 4
14. Clemson (good recruiting region & ACC competition; wonder what would happen if they could ever do for in-state talent what Saban did at LSU & Bama)
15. South Carolina (share with Clemson but must compete in SEC)
16. North Carolina (a dozen or NFL-type talents a year in-state with ACC schedule)
17. Cal (academics appeals to some & forecloses others, but plenty of Bay talent)
18. Michigan (decent regional talent with national prominence as a program)

Tier 5
19. Notre Dame (national appeal and co-religionist pitch, but academics and lack of local talent base still a problem)
20. Tennessee (national appeal, but smallest nearby in-state talent pool of any program one could list in the top 50, save maybe Nebraska)
25. Pitt (see WVA)

This is the worst list we've seen. There is no one in their right mind that thinks South Carolina, North Carolina, Clemson, Cal, and Texas A&M are easier to win at than Tennessee, Nebraska, and Notre Dame. And to say the Michigan Job is the same with Clemson, SC-east, and UNC is just way off.

And no one knows how attractive, popular, or high the Penn State gig is b/c it hasn't been open in 50 years. But it should be easy to win there, they have pretty much everything you'd want, including the worst schedule.

Last edited:
:good!:
I agree. UT definitely used to be top 10, but right now is still on the fringe of top 15. Winning tradition, facilities, fan support, league, location, etc. all add up to top 10. The extra work/time involved in recruiting as compared to some other top programs is UT's only real down side. When UT gets back to its rightful place of regularly posting 9-10+ win seasons and competing for SEC championships it will definitely be considered a top 10 program/HC job again.

I agreed with everything you said! :good!:
Also love the avatar!

Explain...

At the time Spurrier left, Florida had a string of successful seasons, including a BCS championship and they were not that small in the rearview mirror. Florida tried for several of the big name guys at the time, Stoops in particular.

All turned them down, and conjecture was that the reason was that Spurrier had really slacked off on recruiting the prior two years and that the team was almost certainly not going to be successful, which would not sit well with a ridiculously spoiled and entitlement-minded Florida fan base.

The perception was that the job was going to be brutal.

Enter Zook, who recruited lights out, particularly on defense, for three years and was run out on rails because he couldn't make what had been left by Spurrier competitive in the SECE. Exit Zook, now saddled with the reputation that he was a lousy game coach.

Those who had turned down Florida because they knew they would be a scapegoat for the mess Spurrier left behind were 100 % correct in their assessment.

If you go back to my original list, you will note that I said "right now" in starting it. RIGHT NOW the head coaching job at Tennessee totally sucks. RIGHT NOW the team has no depth and has fallen even further behind Florida and Alabama.

Will it always be that way? Of course not. Should it be that way? Not even close.

But it is right now and potential head coaches looking at the situation see a super-thin depth chart and very little major talent, along with a fan base some of whom burned couches and had to physically be restrained when the last coach left.

No decent head coaching prospect in his right mind would walk into that situation.

Enter Dooley.

I might add that when a former UT assistant now stuck at Duke says he is staying where he is, basically because expectations there are both reasonable and manageable, that should tell you a lot.

At the time Spurrier left, Florida had a string of successful seasons, including a BCS championship and they were not that small in the rearview mirror. Florida tried for several of the big name guys at the time, Stoops in particular.

All turned them down, and conjecture was that the reason was that Spurrier had really slacked off on recruiting the prior two years and that the team was almost certainly not going to be successful, which would not sit well with a ridiculously spoiled and entitlement-minded Florida fan base.

Enter Zook, who recruited lights out, particularly on defense, for three years and was run out on rails because he couldn't make what had been left by Spurrier competitive in the SECE. Exit Zook, now saddled with the reputation that he was a lousy game coach.

Those who had turned down Florida because they knew they would be a scapegoat for the mess Spurrier left behind were 100 % correct in their assessment.

If you go back to my original list, you will note that I said "right now" in starting it. RIGHT NOW the head coaching job at Tennessee totally sucks. RIGHT NOW the team has no depth and has fallen even further behind Florida and Alabama.

Will it always be that way? Of course not. Should it be that way? Not even close.

But it is right now and potential head coaches looking at the situation see a super-thin depth chart and very little major talent, along with a fan base some of whom burned couches and had to physically be restrained when the last coach left.

No decent head coaching prospect in his right mind would walk into that situation.

Enter Dooley.

Now this post I agree with except the implications about Dooley. I think he will be given a better shot than Zook if he can recruit well and show improvement. It isn't like we aren't used to losing to almost every rival we play and hanging around at or below .500 at this point. You saw how elated some fans were after UF "only" beat us by ten or that great loss to Alabama. Two losing seasons out of four and then a 7-6 with another disappointment in the Georgia Dome and the head coach splitting will do that to a fanbase...

Now this post I agree with except the implications about Dooley. I think he will be given a better shot than Zook if he can recruit well and show improvement. It isn't like we aren't used to losing to almost every rival we play and hanging around at or below .500 at this point. You saw how elated some fans were after UF "only" beat us by ten or that great loss to Alabama. Two losing seasons out of four and then a 7-6 with another disappointment in the Georgia Dome and the head coach splitting will do that to a fanbase...

Your problem is two-fold.

First, you are going to have a losing season this year, if not overall record, surely in the SEC. And probably so the year after, as well.

Second, I completely disagree that the UT fanbase, which is already distraught over what Kiffin did and pretty much convinced that Dooley isn't the answer, are going to be patient. Its a short fuse for Dooley here. Very short.

Tell you what, if this guy manages to make you competitive in the next 3 years (which is what I predict is all that the UT fans will give him) then he will have pulled off a modern miracle.

But as I say I've been through a very similar situation in fairly recent memory with the Gators and it is going to be really frustrating for you. The difference is that Florida still had some reserve cache with its fans because of what Spurrier had done. We still knew we were a top dog program.

This place is going to be in meltdown mode fairly quick here, and for awhile.

I might add that when a former UT assistant now stuck at Duke says he is staying where he is, basically because expectations there are both reasonable and manageable, that should tell you a lot.
If a coach is afraid of expectations, then his opinion shouldn't matter.

Your problem is two-fold.

First, you are going to have a losing season this year, if not overall record, surely in the SEC. And probably so the year after, as well.

Second, I completely disagree that the UT fanbase, which is already distraught over what Kiffin did and pretty much convinced that Dooley isn't the answer, are going to be patient. Its a short fuse for Dooley here. Very short.

Tell you what, if this guy manages to make you competitive in the next 3 years (which is what I predict is all that the UT fans will give him) then he will have pulled off a modern miracle.

But as I say I've been through a very similar situation in fairly recent memory with the Gators and it is going to be really frustrating for you. The difference is that Florida still had some reserve cache with its fans because of what Spurrier had done. We still knew we were a top dog program.

This place is going to be in meltdown mode fairly quick here, and for awhile.

I'm glad your a lawyer and not a therapist.

To h.s. kids getting in the NFL is the pitch you can sell them on and LSU has the most NFL players right now but I thought to start this season Tenn had either the 3rd most starters or overall players on NFL teams as of opening day which is not too far behind. Getting to a BCS game in the ACC/Big East which is what Miami has been in the past 10 years isn't anywhere near as difficult getting in thru the SEC.

There...fixed it for ya!

Last edited:
The "quality" of the coaching gig sort of depends on what the athletic department is willing to pay to get a top guy. With what Hamilton was throwing out there in our time of need, I'd say we're somewhere in the 20-25 range.

Of course, if you were willing to pay someone a little extra from your huge athletics budget for the added challenge of having to go out there and fight for recruits, then, with our history and fan support, I'd say we could be in the top 10.

This is an idiotic post by someone who clearly is not paying any attention to what has happened the last few weeks. Ham was flying the country with a blank check big guy. Offered Muschamp 3.5 a yr, and I assure you there was some nice pay incentives and he would have been over 4 mil. quickly. He offered Lovie 4million a yr. That isn't top 10 $$ for you? Pleeease Are there 3 coaches in the country that make over 4? Saban, Mack, Urban?:hmm:

i think you're right. money is the most important factor. but it's not the only factor. however, money alone probably puts tennessee right around the 10 spot

He stayed at Duke because he couldn't bring his assistants with him.

Unreasonable expectations? What not to have losing seasons? Fulmer had 2 losing seasons in 4 years and was asked to resign. Nothing unreasonable about that.

Kiffin left beause it's easier to recruit at USC and it's an easier conference to win in. Pretty self serving, but had nothing to do with unreasonable expectations at UT.

Enter Dooley.

Ron Zook inherited a top 5 program that had won at least 10 games in eight of its last 9 seasons.

Derek Dooley inherited a program that has won 10 games only once in the last 5 years.

I don't see the similarities.

VN Store

Back