Coach Rocker

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
The lack of recruiting wins have people looking to replace him. But he is producing with smoke and mirrors. Raise your hand if you thought #48 Blakely - with 2 career tackles - would make the key play on the 4th and goal. I heard no less than 10 defensive lineman had a solo or assisted tackle last night.

These guys and getting better each week, and at a certain point that matters to our recruiting targets.

He's an excellent coach with a ton of SEC experience. If any recruits fail to realize the way he's currently developing defensive linemen then that's to their disadvantage. We currently have good depth on our DL and S&C is making them stronger.

The lack of recruiting wins have people looking to replace him. But he is producing with smoke and mirrors. Raise your hand if you thought #48 Blakely - with 2 career tackles - would make the key play on the 4th and goal. I heard no less than 10 defensive lineman had a solo or assisted tackle last night.

These guys and getting better each week, and at a certain point that matters to our recruiting targets.

After the way they started, don't they almost have to get better, getting worse wasn't really possible, was it?

May I agree with you yet at the same time point out that our DL was getting pushed around by KY's OL almost the entire first half last night? I love Coach Rocker and I'm sure he noticed that. I'm all in on him and our boys but good grief....our DL plays at times like it has a long ways to go. Something seems a bit off when KY rushes for 302 yards on us.

Reactions: 08Vol and I40flyer
Coach Rocker is very dedicated and a excellent teacher of everything his kids must learn to become great.

He holds everyone accountable and even in position drills he makes them focus on the little things or they will run the drill again and again and again until they get everything right.

We'd be ignorant to let him get away!

VFL...GBO!!!

After the way they started, don't they almost have to get better, getting worse wasn't really possible, was it?

Sure, but there are varying degrees of improvement, and that unit's improvement has been significant. Remember, that unit has I believe 0 starts returning from last season with little overall experience. Plus they had to learn to play together as a group.

You never know what's going on behind the scenes, so I can't say what he is or isn't doing there... But I promise you if Pruitt thinks he isn't pulling his weight on the trail it's only a matter of time before he's gone.

If the DL recruiting continues the way it is going now, Rocker is going have to make something out of nothing indefinitely.

Reactions: 08Vol
May I agree with you yet at the same time point out that our DL was getting pushed around by KY's OL almost the entire first half last night? I love Coach Rocker and I'm sure he noticed that. I'm all in on him and our boys but good grief....our DL plays at times like it has a long ways to go. Something seems a bit off when KY rushes for 302 yards on us.

Kentucky has a 3 or 4 future NFL O_lineman and has been of the better running teams in the SEC for 4 years now....

If these people you speak of are a coworker, your best friend's brother in law, somebody you conversed with at Waffle House, or guys waiting their turn at the barber shop, that is no reason to open a thread about it.

Reactions: I40flyer
That's what's difficult about Rocker. Dude seems like an absolutely stellar D-line coach, but half of the college game is recruiting, and he seems to take that half off. Can't really argue with the job he's done on DL this year, though; that was supposed to be our biggest weakness and he's gotten the most out of that unit.

Overall, I trust Pruitt to do what's best.

No they really weren't getting pushed around. The long runs happened on misdirection and some scheme victories were the clearly had is outnumbered on one side of the field. I mean good grief they pitched a shut out for the final three quarters and no tds after the first series which was extended due to a stupid offside penalty.

I mean isn’t it kind of known that rocker is a good coach but not exactly invested in recruiting? Pretty sure that’s why Kirby smart sent him packing. Our dline recruiting isn’t exactly great, lost out recently on the supposed Tennessee lock who was a legacy after he chose Auburn. Something has to give, dline recruiting is essential to Pruitt and our teams success.

Reactions: 08Vol
He’s paid to do both and is woefully failing on the recruiting side. Reality is to be a top SEC team, you can’t have guys who won’t recruit. Neidermeyer can recruit everyone.

It’s way more than a mere IMPROVEMENT...they’re a viable force that is making our defensive backs and edge rushers into draft prospects.

Last edited:

This is a good chance for Butch Jones to get a new gig and get off of UT payroll! :mad: GO VOLS ( don't know how this ended up here! Was posted on the ARK coach being fired)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back