Coach Pruitt as SEC Coach of the Year?

Just WIN these last 2 games and then we'll see how it all shakes out.

Looking at the player rosters I'd have to give the edge to Pruitt for doing a more remarkable job especially when you take into consideration our O like woes.

We'll see what happens these last 2 games.

VFL...GBO!!!

MTSU will beat Kentucky. Only a 14 point spread and MTSU is not that bad, and Kentucky is unraveling like usual. I know your loss to them stings, but I don’t think Stoops wins it

That loss doesn’t sting at all. I’m not sure Florida’s season happens without that loss.

I’m assuming they beat MTSU and Louisville.

I’ve seen a lot in my life. I’ve seen Donald Trump become President. I’ve seen someone try to order a hamburger at Chick-Fil-A. I’ve seen people happily married. I’ve seen a customer purchase a copy of “Walking” magazine.

I’ve never seen Kentucky go 9-3

If I’m picking between Stoops and Mullen for COY, I’d pick Mullen. His team was 4-7 last year without him. Kentucky was 7-6 with Stoops at the helm.

I think that is the point, how much the team has improved over the course of the season. Having said that, CJP would have to win the next 2 to finish 7-5 regular season to even be in consideration. 2 weeks ago Stoops was the clear cut favorite, but his offense has become non-existent since the 2nd half of the SC game. But still, if UK can get to 9-3, which it should with MTSU and L'ville left, Stoops will likely get SEC COY. But Mullens and Coach O, if they both win out, will be in consideration. And I think Coach O has to be in serious consideration. I think a lot of people, including myself, didn't expect much from Coach O and LSU this season. I thought 8-4 was likely, and even as bad as 6-6 was possible, and the only 'bad' loss was UF, which is not technically a bad loss as the game was at UF and the gators are a solid team that when Franks is on are pretty good. And everyone loses badly to Bama, so I don't hold that loss against him.

So I think the likely order is Stoops, Coach O, Mullen, Saban, Pruitt (but only if UT goes 7-5)

I can agree with all of this.

If the Vols gets to 7-5 then Pruitt certainly deserves considerstion. And he should probably pass Stoops if KY continues to slide. Like you said, doubt that happens but it's possible.

Orgeron and Mullen have both exceeded expectations as well so I just dont see a path for Pruitt to win it given the early season struggles.

Mullen owns a H2H win over Pruitt this year with a similar rebuild and Oregeron has mostly held serve in the toughest division in the country.

IMHO, Coach Pruitt should be chosen as the SEC Coach of the Year, especially if this team keeps its current trajectory.
Nah. Too much inconsistency and struggled mightily vs the best teams on the schedule (WVa, Florida, Georgia, Bama).

He’s done a very good job getting to 5 wins to this point. Needs to finish strong to get some consideration, but I believe he’ll finish further down the ballot.

Now, really make a strong run for the East next year, post a 9-10 win season....then he should be a legit contender imo.

That loss doesn’t sting at all. I’m not sure Florida’s season happens without that loss.

I’m assuming they beat MTSU and Louisville.

I’ve seen a lot in my life. I’ve seen Donald Trump become President. I’ve seen someone try to order a hamburger at Chick-Fil-A. I’ve seen people happily married. I’ve seen a customer purchase a copy of “Walking” magazine.

I’ve never seen Kentucky go 9-3

Florida’s season is happening because of one man - Dan Mullen

Stoops still has KY poised for a historic season for them.

Saban and Bama are wiping the floors with anyone they play.

Pruitt managed a couple of wins against an overrated Auburn team and a KY team coming off losing a shot at the SEC title. Maybe if they hadn't fell flat against WVU or FL but I don't see a COY resume.
Gotta downplay our victories. Important for narrative

Where is the credit for Stoops developing multiple 2-3 star players into all-sec type performers?
Another reason Stoops deserves the nod imo. He had the Wildcats competing for the East in November. If he can finish 9-3 he's the SEC COY hands down.

See, I totally don't get these Coach of the Year awards, then.

Saban is head coach of the #1 team in the country, and some say the best college football squad of all time. They're the #1 team because he's their head coach: recruiter

You had me at recruiter.

If We go 8-5 with the bowl win, it'll be a damn miracle, and he should win.

4 losses by 26+ points didn't help though.

Stoops should win if Kentucky doesn't Kentucky the last few games.

Also, Saban is still Saban, so who knows.

The COY award should go to the Coach with 1) the greatest turnaround story in the league, 2) the Coach who has done the most with the least, and 3) the Coach who has come the farthest. So far, that is Coach Pruitt, not Saban.

Reactions: GOVOLS 1
The COY award should go to the Coach with 1) the greatest turnaround story in the league, 2) the Coach who has done the most with the least, and 3) the Coach who has come the farthest. So far, that is Coach Pruitt, not Saban.

Hmm.

Okay, you just introduced three selection criteria, which I appreciate, because you're trying to define the CoY awards in a way that makes sense without going to Saban year after year.

On the other hand, your three criteria conflict with each other, and none of them objectively point at Pruitt.

(1) Greatest turnaround: That would currently be Dan Mullen at Florida. From 4 wins last year, to 7 (and counting) this season. That's a +3 turnaround. By comparison, the Vols are so far only +1.

(2) Done most with least: I'm no DAJ, but I think if you objectively compared results (wins) versus raw material (talent, recruiting class rankings), this one would go to Mark Stoops at Kentucky. His recruiting classes the past five years have been far below ours, and he has gotten a 7-3 record out of them to date, with a chance at ending the season scoring 10 victories.

(3) Come the farthest: I honestly don't know what this one means. You'll have to define it for us to consider it objectively.

I appreciate you trying. You have made a case that does in fact shift the emphasis off of Saban. But (a) I don't know if any of these criteria are the ones actually used by the selection committees for CoY awards, and (b) you don't shift the spotlight onto Pruitt so much as those other fellas from the East.

One thing is absolutely true, and includes the Vols, Gators, and Wildcats all three: the SEC East has begun to rebound this year. Here's hoping that continues.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: QU1ZE
I think the path is easiest for Mullen. Florida is going from a 4 win team to a 9 win team by just changing out the head guy. Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, there's a case for Orgeron, Stoops and Pruitt. The Vols are not favorites to win either of their last 2 games at this point and have beaten 2 ranked teams in year 1. CJP will definitely get some votes. I just think Mullen has a stronger case.

VN Store

Back