Coach Kellie discusses the Ohio State game

I really like Coach Harper. I liked her as a player and I've wanted nothing but the best for her as she has coached. I'll always be a fan of hers, but I'm a disappointed fan.

Teams in all sports take on the personalities and traits of their coaches. As a player, Harper never had the freedom to play passively, thoughtlessly, sloppily, inconsistently or selfishly. Her coach would not have watched her make repeated mistakes passively and then later described her playing failures with understanding and hope for the future at a press conference. Her coach would have sat her down and firmly corrected her in the moment. If no change resulted, PHS would have quickly moved to the next woman up until her teaching was being performed correctly, with passion, and with focus. Corrections would have been in the form of an instant message, not something that would be tolerated while a game slipped away only to be worked on next week at practice. Pat was a person who was appreciated for demanding excellence. She did not suffer foolishness. Nor did she try so hard to be a player's coach that she lost sight of her job -- to teach and to consistently demand excellence. PHS became one of the most loved coaches in college history not because she was cuddly, "fair" and "understanding" (though she was), but, because, while she was consistently caring, she always and immediately demanded excellence from her kids. No one ever expected she would let someone "play through" sloppy or thoughtless efforts because they were gassed or for any other lame reason. If the other team beat the Lady Vols, congratulations to them. No Lady Vol team playing for PHS was ever allowed to mail in an effort and then hear the coach make excuses for its failure.

I hope Coach Harper can remember her roots and what made her so amazing during her playing days--thoughtful, consistent, effort all of the time. And she needs to demand that degree of effort from all of her players each and every time they take the floor, just like what was expected of her back in her playing days. She allowed some very talented players to mail in their efforts last night without attempted correction and now excuses are being offered for the failure. Ohio State was, in fact, very good. Nevertheless, UT should have won that game with relative ease if the players had given consistent and thoughtful efforts.

PHS certainly understood how to effect in-game "adjustments" in real time. No waiting for a TV break or waiting to work on something in practice. Fix it now or lose trying. Go Lady Vols!

I don't comment on LV stuff much, and I'm really not all that well versed in the team itself, but with the great influx of transfers who are also major role players, could that not lead to a pretty good sized adjustment period early in the year? Could this team be one of those that gels about January? There's an awful lot of talent there. I know that doesn't answer why CKH didn't call more timeouts, but still...

I don't comment on LV stuff much, and I'm really not all that well versed in the team itself, but with the great influx of transfers who are also major role players, could that not lead to a pretty good sized adjustment period early in the year? Could this team be one of those that gels about January? There's an awful lot of talent there. I know that doesn't answer why CKH didn't call more timeouts, but still...

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn’t tell you to put the balm on. Why’d you put the balm on?"

I'm pissed
no doubt
But I am Coach K,,,100%
and i have to trust the process as an outsider as well

Discipline is more important than aggression at this point.

Discipline re control?
Or punishment?

As Pat Summitt's dad said,,,“You don't take donkeys to the Kentucky Derby. You better get you some race horses.”

We got the horses, now treat em like thoroughbreds, not quarter horses
You break a quarter horses' spirit, you control a thoroughbred's
But you never break it

That's as good of an explanation as I've read so far. Everyone has their own thing to blame. Just the way it is when expectations are high. Honestly....we lost a game to a ranked team on their home floor and played about as poorly as a team can play apparently embarrassing some of our more sensitive members while PO'ing others and only lost by 12. Man, it is what it is. We have a game tomorrow night. I hope people can suck it up and root for the ole ball team. If not, oh well, maybe later when you're feeling better.

That's as good of an explanation as I've read so far. Everyone has their own thing to blame. Just the way it is when expectations are high. Honestly....we lost a game to a ranked team on their home floor and played about as poorly as a team can play apparently embarrassing some of our more sensitive members while PO'ing others and only lost by 12. Man, it is what it is. We have a game tomorrow night. I hope people can suck it up and root for the ole ball team. If not, oh well, maybe later when you're feeling better.

a very short memory is essential,,,, player, coach, and fan.
Lets make a new one tomorrow

"We just couldn't get that (aggression) back" she said as she sat passively on the sidelines without doing anything to stop her team from being dismantled or to help it regain its composure. Then she mentions turnovers as an afterthought as an answer to one of the questions. Just unbelievable.

The fact is a hallmark of her teams is high turnovers and she did a poor job preparing them to face a press while offering no instruction during the game when they were struggling against it.

This game hurt her way more than she realizes.

Also she says the guards were winded in the third, but putting on a press is more draining than breaking one. We have plenty of depth so OSU should have been the team wearing down at that point. Is our conditioning really that bad?

And she doesn't mention her substitution patterns being a huge problem that assured the press was effective for as long as possible as each new combination of our players had to learn to break it.
Any coach that NEVER takes a timeout while we get destroyed makes no sense to me. She has always done that. I got the impression she didn't have a clue as to what to do and have 3 timeouts at the end of the game is ridiculous. Doesn't all of this sound familiar

giphy.gif

"We just couldn't get that (aggression) back" she said as she sat passively on the sidelines without doing anything to stop her team from being dismantled or to help it regain its composure. Then she mentions turnovers as an afterthought as an answer to one of the questions. Just unbelievable.

The fact is a hallmark of her teams is high turnovers and she did a poor job preparing them to face a press while offering no instruction during the game when they were struggling against it.

This game hurt her way more than she realizes.

Also she says the guards were winded in the third, but putting on a press is more draining than breaking one. We have plenty of depth so OSU should have been the team wearing down at that point. Is our conditioning really that bad?

And she doesn't mention her substitution patterns being a huge problem that assured the press was effective for as long as possible as each new combination of our players had to learn to break it.
I see you are pleased.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
It's too early in the season to give up on Harper. She will be the coach at least through this season, so let's put aside talk of firing her. She has assembled this team and this staff, so let's let her proceed without putting her on the hot seat. This team appears to be a long way from jelling, and it appears to be soft and poorly coached after one game, but let's give her the chance to try to recover and see what happens. Let's hope last night was an aberration.
You are making me laugh with that “at least through the season” stuff. Why don’t you wait until the end of the season to see where we are?

You are making me laugh with that “at least through the season” stuff. Why don’t you wait until the end of the season to see where we are?
Kellie would have to have the team totally fall down the crapper for her to get fired look how long it took to get rid of Holly Warlick.:rolleyes:Women's basketball is way down the list on priorities of the Athletic Director Danny White.;)

Reactions: TnScooby

VN Store

Back