Coach Kellie discusses the Ohio State game

Had an entire halftime to talk about beating the press (which should have happened in practice since we knew it was coming). Then sat on your timeouts while we got back to back 10 second violations, turned it over a million more times and they went on a massive run that put the game out of reach. Not a great start for the coaching staff.

I get it - you want to come out and play a good OOC schedule, but does anyone know why the Lady Vols seem to schedule Top 10 (yes, I think tOSU is undervalued right now) teams to start the season?
Did the same thing last year against IU.

Just wondering as most other teams and the Men's BB team seem to start out with one or two mid-major or G5 teams to tune things up...

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

"We just couldn't get that (aggression) back" she said as she sat passively on the sidelines without doing anything to stop her team from being dismantled or to help it regain its composure. Then she mentions turnovers as an afterthought as an answer to one of the questions. Just unbelievable.

The fact is a hallmark of her teams is high turnovers and she did a poor job preparing them to face a press while offering no instruction during the game when they were struggling against it.

This game hurt her way more than she realizes.

Also she says the guards were winded in the third, but putting on a press is more draining than breaking one. We have plenty of depth so OSU should have been the team wearing down at that point. Is our conditioning really that bad?

And she doesn't mention her substitution patterns being a huge problem that assured the press was effective for as long as possible as each new combination of our players had to learn to break it.

Not a good look in regards to the makeup if she says lost aggressiveness and couldn't get it back. Something to monitor if she keeps going back to this over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
This is year four patience is not longer a virtue for fans. No excuse to lose that game especially with such poor play. I can accept a loss not a team that looks lost in so many different phases of the game.
This is her direction year to compete for banners or out the door.

Agreed, the team takes on the personality of their coach. Not expecting Kellie to be Pat, but this sure isn't how she would have reacted to a loss like this. It's baffling Kellie can be this tone-deaf in such a pivotal year for her...

Reactions: Majors
"We just couldn't get that (aggression) back" she said as she sat passively on the sidelines without doing anything to stop her team from being dismantled or to help it regain its composure. Then she mentions turnovers as an afterthought as an answer to one of the questions. Just unbelievable.

The fact is a hallmark of her teams is high turnovers and she did a poor job preparing them to face a press while offering no instruction during the game when they were struggling against it.

Also she says the guards were winded in the third, but putting on a press is more draining than breaking one. We have plenty of depth so OSU should have been the team wearing down at that point. Is our conditioning really that bad?

And she doesn't mention her substitution patterns being a huge problem that assured the press was effective for as long as possible as each new combination of our players had to learn to break it.
Pretty accurate

Agreed, the team takes on the personality of their coach. Not expecting Kellie to be Pat, but this sure isn't how she would have reacted to a loss like this. It's baffling Kellie can be this tone-deaf in such a pivotal year for her...
Maybe this is just the public face and she's a seething volcano underneath! Because this is very "Meh?". Yep, the turnovers. Whatever.

Seriously she seemed steamrolled. I don't think she saw this coming, which of course is not good to not be able to read your team. Let's see what she can pull off as we go along.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Kellie's reaction is confusing and disappointing to me. Her team played soft, and her reaction to that is soft. It's only the first game, but softness seems to describe our coaches and, as a result, our team.

Harper seems too soft and, like Warlick before her, too much of a player's coach. Wants to be liked. We need a brass tacks coach
who commands respect and who can mold a team--not just run the player's out on the court and hope for the best.

We shot the ball well last night--but until we stop playing sloppy, undisciplined basketball, which has only been a consistent problem for, oh,
15 years, we will continue to embarrass ourselves. No poise, no toughness. Harper seemed flustered when talking to the press after the game--and she should have been. She needs to find and cultivate a couple of leaders on the team--on-court leaders who can crack on teammates who are playing stupid basketball. Who those leaders might be, I don't know.

Somebody help me out - honest question - why, after an opponents made basket, do we sometimes fart around for several seconds getting lined up for the inbounds pass? Or sometimes we have to wait a few seconds for a specific player to come take it out. This gives the other team time to set up also. Shouldn't the closest player to the ball and the endline take it out so we can get it in quickly before the opponent has time to set up?

Can't keep going back to the locker room speech as her pinnacle moment.

Had an entire halftime to talk about beating the press (which should have happened in practice since we knew it was coming). Then sat on your timeouts while we got back to back 10 second violations, turned it over a million more times and they went on a massive run that put the game out of reach. Not a great start for the coaching staff.

Well, in Kellie's defense, no amount of telling her team how to break that press at halftime was going to work. That's a "do it in practice" thing, not a "hear about how it's done" at halftime thing.

The staff dropped the ball in not adequately preparing them in practice. I think I remember hearing Jordan say something along the lines of "we practiced it all week" -- someone please correct me if I'm misremembering -- and if they only really started giving extra time to working on breaking the press in the, what, 8-10 hours of total practice time they had in the last week, then... 😣. Hope that's not the case although it kinda felt like it was.

Last edited:
Very disappointed to see Kellie didn’t publicly take any ownership for this loss. For me personally, that’s a big red flag. You didn’t set them up for success in this game, so you should own it.

A team takes on the personality of its head coach. If they were being passive in the third quarter, maybe it’s because they lost all confidence in what they were doing and needed the HC to give them a new strategy.

If we win the game tomorrow night, I’m gonna be very annoyed if we hear in the postgame press that Kellie “got after them in practice” or “made them run due to turnovers.” Rather, it would be great to hear that SHE made some adjustments and integrated a new strategy to help this team be successful.

Somebody help me out - honest question - why, after an opponents made basket, do we sometimes fart around for several seconds getting lined up for the inbounds pass? Or sometimes we have to wait a few seconds for a specific player to come take it out. This gives the other team time to set up also. Shouldn't the closest player to the ball and the endline take it out so we can get it in quickly before the opponent has time to set up?

My feeling is that that is a problem due to having so many lineup combinations that they are in perpetual confusion about who, this time, is supposed to do the job.

Kellie should have a staff member constantly monitoring that particular situation so that every time a substitution is made they can tell the player(s) going into the game which person should inbounds the ball until further notice. Like a football player who runs onto the field to bring in the next play, our players going into the game need to relay that vital information. We gave them too much time to get on defense as we hesitated.

Well, in Kellie's defense, no amount of telling her team how to break that press at halftime was going to work. That's a "do it in practice" thing, not a "hear about how it's done" at halftime thing.

The staff dropped the ball in not adequately preparing them in practice. I think I remember hearing Jordan say something along the lines of "we practiced it all week" -- someone please correct me if I'm misremembering -- and if they only really started giving extra time to working on breaking the press in the, what, 8-10 hours of total practice time they had in the last week, then... 😣. Hope that's not the case although it kinda felt like it was.

A coach should be able to draw on a whiteboard in 15 seconds how they want to break a press. Middle school coaches are capable of doing this and middle school players are capable of comprehending.

VN Store

Back