Coach JH

This will be a very unpopular thread.

Hooker was a Pruitt recruit not CJH. They (CJH) went after Milton and we have seen how that turned out.The kid is a train wreck and there was a reason Michigan didn't play the kid. If CJH evaluation says the kid can play or he could change him but his starting QB is now hooker speaks volumes about his evaluation for talent. I'm not about morale victories and a 24 point beat down by UF isn't anything to feel good about. You can spin it anyway you want but it is what is. After we drop games to Missouri and UK we'll talk.

Our defense is the bright spot of the team and that's out of CJH's hands. We don't have the personal to run as CJH wants to run and it's already showing. I hope I'm wrong but as of now I just don't see it. He has a very accurate QB he won't play because he can't run and how can you watch film when he runs with the 2's and 3.s in a game. For those that said HB was against the scrubs in the OW didn't watch. He ran with 1's and played against the 1's. But we'll see this kid transfer and it will haunt us but this post isn't about that but he's playing a Pruitt recruit instead of his guy.

I hope I'm wrong but we will be lucky to get to 6-6. Head tells me 5-7. And we'll see the love fest for CJH after that.
Blah blah blah yeah we know...We know...These threads are like going to a bad movie and then going to see it again not knowing its the same because it has a different name.

Reactions: sjt18 and GoVols64

Hooker was a Pruitt recruit not CJH. They (CJH) went after Milton and we have seen how that turned out.The kid is a train wreck and there was a reason Michigan didn't play the kid. If CJH evaluation says the kid can play or he could change him but his starting QB is now hooker speaks volumes about his evaluation for talent. I'm not about morale victories and a 24 point beat down by UF isn't anything to feel good about. You can spin it anyway you want but it is what is. After we drop games to Missouri and UK we'll talk.

Our defense is the bright spot of the team and that's out of CJH's hands. We don't have the personal to run as CJH wants to run and it's already showing. I hope I'm wrong but as of now I just don't see it. He has a very accurate QB he won't play because he can't run and how can you watch film when he runs with the 2's and 3.s in a game. For those that said HB was against the scrubs in the OW didn't watch. He ran with 1's and played against the 1's. But we'll see this kid transfer and it will haunt us but this post isn't about that but he's playing a Pruitt recruit instead of his guy.

I hope I'm wrong but we will be lucky to get to 6-6. Head tells me 5-7. And we'll see the love fest for CJH after that.

It isn't that this thread is popular or not it is that your logic has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Add to that the sample size is small and the team is less talented than it was last year but still performs more competitively. You can find the negatives in anything but he's starting HH, not Milton. to say he took a chance on a player that hasn't worked out means he is a bad coach is folly. You might as well lump half or more of the coaches in the nation trying to build a program into this category......

Post something that isn't ignorant and emotional and perhaps your thread will be more "popular."

Im talking about from the time its released to the WR's hands. Bailey threw 2 in the tech game that would have been pick 6's in the SEC. If he gets his chance then I believe all the posts about Bailey being the starter will die down quickly.

That's 1 game. He's shown plenty of arm strength in game before. In fact, he was money within 20 yards last year. It was the deep throws he had issues with.

OP is not a very bright guy. Take out our four games and look at his track record. Jesus. Who gives a **** if he recruited Milton. He knows he doesn’t have his qb so he took a leap on Milton. Not like we are maxed out on schollies. Schemes have receivers running wide open. Maybe Heupel wins championships, maybe he doesn’t but crawl back from the ledge dipshit.

There's a QB Coach, OC and a HC who all pour into each QB. He's receiving guidance on what to work on, how to work, and get better at their craft daily. Sometimes you can tell someone something, but them doing it is different. Bailey hasn't transferred the tutelage from the QB Room to the practice field. He's not been consistent in protecting the ball. I believe that's CJH's #1 stickler, thus Milton starting because he protects the ball the best out of the 3.

This is a good point. Milton does make very good reads and seldom makes boneheaded throw. He's just highly inaccurate. Had he connected on just 3 or 4 of those deep throws, me thinks people would be singing a different tune right now.

It's entirely possible Bailey isn't making the right reads in practice. The Tech game didn't leave us much to go on. He certainly didn't look good and was off the mark on several throws. He's gotta get the deep ball more to the sideline so the DB doesn't have a chance to make a play.

Last edited:
You can spin it anyway you want but it is what is. After we drop games to Missouri and UK we'll talk.
He has a very accurate QB he won't play because he can't run and how can you watch film when he runs with the 2's and 3.s in a game. For those that said HB was against the scrubs in the OW didn't watch. He ran with 1's and played against the 1's. But we'll see this kid transfer and it will haunt us.

HB got a shot and he was worse than the other two. He might be very good in the long run, but he was not in command of the offense and did not throw accurately. As you say, you can spin it any way you want, but it is what it is. 3 for 7, 16 yds., sack, RTG 62.1 vs. 169.4 (Hooker) and 101.7 (Milton).

There's a QB Coach, OC and a HC who all pour into each QB. He's receiving guidance on what to work on, how to work, and get better at their craft daily. Sometimes you can tell someone something, but them doing it is different. Bailey hasn't transferred the tutelage from the QB Room to the practice field. He's not been consistent in protecting the ball. I believe that's CJH's #1 stickler, thus Milton starting because he protects the ball the best out of the 3.
Well I hope they are working with the kid. This staff came in two months behind.
Beldar straight up stated they did not work with him.
I'm sure he and family are second guessing the decision as he could have gone to any number of big time schools.
We have to admit, we've been a cluster for some time.

Last edited:
That's 1 game. He's shown plenty of arm strength in game before. In fact, he was money within 20 yards last year. It was the deep throws he had issues with.
He didn't show it when he got the chance. His sideline throws floated. You can't do that in this league. I think CJH's offense must have a QB that can deliver on the WR screens to open up the run game, which opens the middle of the field and the deep ball. Bailey did not demonstrate he could do that.

Question to the board: why do these dudes come on here? They just aren't fans. An actual Vols fan wouldn't feel the need to walk into the middle of the room and squat over a steaming pile of "...After we drop games to Missouri and UK..."

This guy has already decided we are so bad that we're destined to drop both of those games? Games that most of us can clearly see are at least winnable - even for a team with our challenges.

I just don't get it. I guess they were caught up in the thrill of victory for all those years. Relishing all that winning. Thin line between love and hate, I guess.

I'm really struggling to get my head around where these 'fans' are at right now. I know we've all been through a lot but...damn...just at a loss...
This. If you are so down on the program, and see absolutely no hope on the horizon, then why are you here?

Reactions: Vol Farmer
So what are you? HB family member? Troll from another fan base? Or just a hater who wants to believe the worst of our program, our coaches, and many of our players?
It has to be one of the three. Johnny Majors coined “legion of the miserable,” and not much has changed. Except nowadays we have message boards and social media, which means every miserable, negative opinion gets more views. I just ignore it. Besides, I guarantee that most of these people will be the same ones who jump back on the bandwagon as soon as we win some games.

Look YoungNut, CJH wasn't my first choice, maybe not even in my top 10 but we can't even begin to evaluate him until we've resolved our NCAA issues and then had 2 full recruiting classes. Why have all our coaching searches since we canned Fulmer been disasters? It's because we've never understood the fact that you aren't firing a coach... what you're really doing is hiring a new coach. So let's say CJH doesn't get the job done here and it's now 2027 and we haven't finished any better than 3rd in the East, should we fire CJH?

If you answered "yes", you still don't get it, and you're part of the problem.

Reactions: clarencepeabody

News flash. Very few Vol fans except for the blind and unrealistic expected better than 6 and 6 this season and 5 and 7 certainly wasn’t out of the question even from the start. Try harder next time.

Stop lying. He star
Im talking about from the time its released to the WR's hands. Bailey threw 2 in the tech game that would have been pick 6's in the SEC. If he gets his chance then I believe all the posts about Bailey being the starter will die down quickly.
Stop lying. He started three SEC games last year and had a better completion percentage as a true freshman than either of the other two have this year as upperclassmen.

And it's snide replies again. You were warned this wouldn't be a popular thread but you still felt a need to condemn instead of dealing with the topic. Josh is that you?

And you began with the premise that this thread would be unpopular, so you should have prepared yourself for people attacking you instead of this dumb topic that refuses to die.

I know you refuse to acknowledge this possibility, but maybe Harrison Bailey just isn't that good? Maybe he should have never been given a fifth star? Maybe he feasted in high school throwing to multiple Division 1 athletes against high school teams that didn't have multiple Division 1 athletes playing in their secondary?

I've got nothing against the kid, but it's pretty obvious that barring injuries that prevent Hooker or Milton from playing, Bailey is not going to see significant time this season.

This will be a very stupid thread full of negative presumptions.
FYP.

Hooker was a Pruitt recruit not CJH.
And? Literally... so what? EVERY YEAR new coaches inherit and coach up players they did not personally recruit. There was a time when Pruitt was still around that people openly wondered if Hooker didn't make a bad mistake. The Vols potentially had HB, Shrout, JG, Maurer, and Salter in the QB room for '21. Hooker decided on UT any way.

They (CJH) went after Milton and we have seen how that turned out.The kid is a train wreck and there was a reason Michigan didn't play the kid.
CJH specifically stated he wanted more competition in the QB room. That's all. So he offered a reset to a guy with freakish physical talent. Do you know of anyone who denies Milton has that? CJH took a risk that he might be able to coach him up. Good coaches do that... A LOT.

If CJH evaluation says the kid can play or he could change him but his starting QB is now hooker speaks volumes about his evaluation for talent.
No it doesn't. Not even close. By the testimony of practice observers... Milton won the competition in practice and it wasn't close. It appears that what he did in practice simply has not translated to games. Precisely HOW is a coach supposed to just "know" that a QB who is dropping deep balls in left and right in practice won't be able to hit anyone in games? Now once he fails in games... you don't stick with him but you are essentially condemning Heupel for playing the guy who earned it in practice first. That's not only ignorant... it is a sure fire way to lose the team. If they see one guy performing and a coach favoring someone else... trust is gone.

I'm not about morale victories and a 24 point beat down by UF isn't anything to feel good about. You can spin it anyway you want but it is what is.
Do you even understand the concept of a "moral victory"? UT lost. However they lost not because UF just dominated them. They lost because they made CORRECTABLE mistakes that took them out of the game. That's signs of progress... not satisfaction in a "moral victory".

After we drop games to Missouri and UK we'll talk.
It is amazing the amount of vain confidence you place in your ability to know things about future events which you have no means... of actually knowing.

Our defense is the bright spot of the team and that's out of CJH's hands.
No it isn't. That's maybe more stupid than some of the other stuff you wrote... amazingly. Heupel contrary to the last 3 coaches showed up with big picture idea of the type of complimentary team he wanted to build. He specifically went after a DC and defensive coaches who would implement a fast, aggressive, "simpler" defensive scheme.

We don't have the personal to run as CJH wants to run and it's already showing. I hope I'm wrong but as of now I just don't see it.
You are at least partly wrong... and will never see it.

He has a very accurate QB he won't play because he can't run and how can you watch film when he runs with the 2's and 3.s in a game. For those that said HB was against the scrubs in the OW didn't watch. He ran with 1's and played against the 1's. But we'll see this kid transfer and it will haunt us but this post isn't about that but he's playing a Pruitt recruit instead of his guy.
Ah ha. There it is. Another ignorant Bailey cultist dreaming up some scenario where coaching incompetence or a conspiracy theory accounts for why Bailey isn't playing.

Heupel wants to win. He started Milton because he won the competition outright. Now he appears to be humble enough to recognize Milton isn't getting it done and playing Hooker. IF Bailey were "very accurate" in a way that is effective in moving this O... he'd be playing. There is significant evidence however that he's simply not. He's not 3rd because of any of the non-sense you seem to believe. It isn't because he cannot run though that doesn't help him. He's sitting because his overall demonstrated ability to get the job done has NOT earned him the opportunity to play in front of either of the others.

I was actually surprised that he wasn't #2 last week. But he wasn't. Milton for all his problems and a gimpy leg was seen as the better option.

LOL... your "head" tells you. Your head should NEVER tell you to write off games against teams with less talent. Ever. If it does then there is something wrong with your head

Stop lying. He started three SEC games last year and had a better completion percentage as a true freshman than either of the other two have this year as upperclassmen.
He has not earned the opportunity to play and folks who have observed practice indicate it isn't simply because he can't run. His decision making and passing have NOT earned him an opportunity.

His completion % last year is a weak argument. In two games, he was hitting every 5 yard dump down that the opposing D gave him while down by a couple of TD's. Pruitt even chewed him on the sideline one time over not pushing the ball down field due to the clock. His numbers vs UF look good until you consider Shrout was better.. 14/21 for 111 yds HB vs 12/14 for 121 yds JTS.

I don't want to go too far down the trail of criticizing HB. I think he's a guy with talent. I would personally LOVE to see him pass Milton and be #2. But THE only reason he's not playing is that he has not earned it.

FWIW, he looked good and nimble running the ball vs TTU. He's not going to give you the threat that Hooker in particular does but he's improved and appears to be ready to do at least the minimum in that regard. Credit to him.

Reactions: RhodesVol

You think HB doesn’t play because he can’t run? Lol no. He don’t play because he cannot show he is consistent in practice. He has a slow release and his reads are slower than the other two. Joe Milton was hitting deep balls at a consistent rate in practice but can’t hit them in games.

Reactions: sjt18
Question to the board: why do these dudes come on here? They just aren't fans. An actual Vols fan wouldn't feel the need to walk into the middle of the room and squat over a steaming pile of "...After we drop games to Missouri and UK..."

This guy has already decided we are so bad that we're destined to drop both of those games? Games that most of us can clearly see are at least winnable - even for a team with our challenges.

I just don't get it. I guess they were caught up in the thrill of victory for all those years. Relishing all that winning. Thin line between love and hate, I guess.

I'm really struggling to get my head around where these 'fans' are at right now. I know we've all been through a lot but...damn...just at a loss...
He gave us a hint. For a lot of these hyper-negative guys... not just negavols... it comes down to one complaint- Bailey isn't the #1 QB or else "hasn't had a chance". I'm not sure why they think they know more about what he's done in competition with the other two than the coaches and other practice observers do.... but they are fully convinced that Heupel is a "bad" coach because he cannot "see what they see" in Bailey.

It isn't all. Some are just negative generally. A few are opposed to Heupel without regard to Bailey... but a lot of these clowns are just angry that their pick for QB isn't playing and won't admit that it is because he hasn't earned it.

Anyone who still puts that orange on after the embarrassment of last two decades is a fan whether you agree with them or not.

Reactions: RhodesVol
FYP.

And? Literally... so what? EVERY YEAR new coaches inherit and coach up players they did not personally recruit. There was a time when Pruitt was still around that people openly wondered if Hooker didn't make a bad mistake. The Vols potentially had HB, Shrout, JG, Maurer, and Salter in the QB room for '21. Hooker decided on UT any way.

CJH specifically stated he wanted more competition in the QB room. That's all. So he offered a reset to a guy with freakish physical talent. Do you know of anyone who denies Milton has that? CJH took a risk that he might be able to coach him up. Good coaches do that... A LOT.

No it doesn't. Not even close. By the testimony of practice observers... Milton won the competition in practice and it wasn't close. It appears that what he did in practice simply has not translated to games. Precisely HOW is a coach supposed to just "know" that a QB who is dropping deep balls in left and right in practice won't be able to hit anyone in games? Now once he fails in games... you don't stick with him but you are essentially condemning Heupel for playing the guy who earned it in practice first. That's not only ignorant... it is a sure fire way to lose the team. If they see one guy performing and a coach favoring someone else... trust is gone.

Do you even understand the concept of a "moral victory"? UT lost. However they lost not because UF just dominated them. They lost because they made CORRECTABLE mistakes that took them out of the game. That's signs of progress... not satisfaction in a "moral victory".

It is amazing the amount of vain confidence you place in your ability to know things about future events which you have no means... of actually knowing.

No it isn't. That's maybe more stupid than some of the other stuff you wrote... amazingly. Heupel contrary to the last 3 coaches showed up with big picture idea of the type of complimentary team he wanted to build. He specifically went after a DC and defensive coaches who would implement a fast, aggressive, "simpler" defensive scheme.

You are at least partly wrong... and will never see it.

Ah ha. There it is. Another ignorant Bailey cultist dreaming up some scenario where coaching incompetence or a conspiracy theory accounts for why Bailey isn't playing.

Heupel wants to win. He started Milton because he won the competition outright. Now he appears to be humble enough to recognize Milton isn't getting it done and playing Hooker. IF Bailey were "very accurate" in a way that is effective in moving this O... he'd be playing. There is significant evidence however that he's simply not. He's not 3rd because of any of the non-sense you seem to believe. It isn't because he cannot run though that doesn't help him. He's sitting because his overall demonstrated ability to get the job done has NOT earned him the opportunity to play in front of either of the others.

I was actually surprised that he wasn't #2 last week. But he wasn't. Milton for all his problems and a gimpy leg was seen as the better option.

LOL... your "head" tells you. Your head should NEVER tell you to write off games against teams with less talent. Ever. If it does then there is something wrong with your head
Man, I love your posts and your takes are always rational and reasonable, but you spend way too much time trying to talk sense into people who don’t understand football. I appreciate the effort, but we all need to understand that some people are just idiots.

Example: I can’t remember which game it was, but at one point a few years ago (while watching a game) my mother in law was convinced that our offense was unstoppable if we would just “run it to the left.” She saw a couple successful runs to the left side, and immediately decided she was smarter than the OC.

She knows nothing about football. But that didn’t stop her from forming an opinion, standing firm on it, and yelling it at the top of her lungs for the rest of the game.

I’m convinced that a lot of posters on VN are just her using multiple screen names.

Pitiful, just pitiful!

He gave us a hint. For a lot of these hyper-negative guys... not just negavols... it comes down to one complaint- Bailey isn't the #1 QB or else "hasn't had a chance". I'm not sure why they think they know more about what he's done in competition with the other two than the coaches and other practice observers do.... but they are fully convinced that Heupel is a "bad" coach because he cannot "see what they see" in Bailey.

It isn't all. Some are just negative generally. A few are opposed to Heupel without regard to Bailey... but a lot of these clowns are just angry that their pick for QB isn't playing and won't admit that it is because he hasn't earned it.
I'm just glad Heupel didn't pull a Butch and throw the UF game by playing Bailey just to prove a point to the fans.

Reactions: VOLnMiami

VN Store

Back