Closing the recruiting gap

You also have to account for the history of Heupel's offenses. He's consistently produced better results each year at each school. Changing QB's hasn't shown a decline in his offense statistically. If the defense continues to improve, there shouldn't be some huge drop off. It's hard to do better than 11-1 (if that's how we finish). That's what people have to consider. The goal is to make 9 regular seasons wins the floor for the next 2 seasons IMO. I would say 95% thought 10 wins was our ceiling before this season started.
don't disagree with any of that.

i think it's just gonna be hard for some folks when Milton doesn't connect on every deep ball or WR's are running under rainbows catching them in stride.

the bar has been set very high, and that's a good thing, but i do think it's fair to point out that what we're seeing from this offense, in terms of the big plays down the field....we've made it look......um....too easy. lol.

which is awesome.....cause you know QB's and WR's want to do that.

i think the foundation of this offense is what the O line has done this year, big improvement there, and the run game we've had because of it, both from the RB's, TE's, and QB's. ultimately that's what makes this thing go.

but there's no where to go from No. 1 or 2 Offense in the country, 45+ points a game.................lol that's all i'm really getting at.

i think it's just gonna be hard for some folks when Milton doesn't connect on every deep ball or WR's are running under rainbows catching them in stride.

the bar has been set very high, and that's a good thing, but i do think it's fair to point out that what we're seeing from this offense, in terms of the big plays down the field....we've made it look......um....too easy. lol.

i think the foundation of this offense is what the O line has done this year, big improvement there, and the run game we've had because of it, both from the RB's, TE's, and QB's. ultimately that's what makes this thing go.

but there's no where to go from No. 1 or 2 Offense in the country, 45+ points a game.................lol that's all i'm really getting at.
If there's any weakness in Hooker's game it's that he doesn't have an elite arm and he can be too conservative at times. There's actually another level that this offense can go to, which is just plain scary. We are overachieving right now, to be fair.

Reactions: Volosaurus rex
If there's any weakness in Hooker's game it's that he doesn't have an elite arm and he can be too conservative at times. There's actually another level that this offense can go to, which is just plain scary. We are overachieving right now, to be fair.
Agree. And if next year is 'less than' this year that doesn't mean we're under-achieving...đź‘Ť

We had two bigtime commitments the week after Bama game. Both for 2024.

Our 2023 class is very solid.

People will continue to look at class rankings in a vaccum VS what a team actually needs.

This 2023 class provides a program changing QB, and bunch of great depth along with some future studs.
It's one of the best secondary hauls we've had in a long time.

This class absolutely closes the gap. It's not about stars on website.
It's about getting the players you need WHEN you need them. And to execute at a high level with them

Yep. And I think once we know how many current players are leaving early, we will have a good number of roster spots to shore up some immediate needs in the transfer portal. Making the playoffs, or even the Sugar Bowl, should help convince some players looking around that Knoxville is a great destination to finish their college years.

i know that our OC and QB Coach have addressed this and that they don’t agree with me.
but my only real criticism is that I don’t think he takes a deep enuf drop behind center before taking the shotgun snap and he also seems to take a step right into the pass rush Before throwing and often gets his arm hit.
Am I wrong about that?

Last edited:
i know that our OC and QB Coach have addressed this and that they don’t agree with me.
but my only real criticism is that I don’t think he takes a deep enuf drop behind center before taking the shotgun snap and he also seems to take a step right into the pass rush Before throwing and often gets his arm hit.
Am I wrong about that?
You're not wrong because it seems that if the defense gets any push up the middle, they're right on top of him. The other thing I'd like to see is him roll outside away from pressure earlier. Right now, if he leaves the pocket, it's always run. He never throws the ball away, and rarely finds an open receiver. The result is almost always a run for a first down, or a sack for a big loss. I know it seems crazy to have any criticism when he's had such an amazing season, but those are the little things that could take his game to another level.

I agree partly. I would like to see more top end talent in this class. But at the same time, I do not believe for one second that Smith and some others should be 3 stars. I am surprised also that Telander and Conyers are rated as low as they are. I think we have some guys who will out perform their ranking.

But I'm disappointed that we aren't seeing any traction with more elite recruits in this class based upon our season. I'm surprised we aren't hearing from Lucas Simmons or Rico Walker, or that M'Pemba never really gave us a shot, or that Cobb won't even pick up the phone when we call, or that Francis won't reconsider, or that Searcy shut his recruitment down for Florida, or that we're not hearing about a highly ranked recruit who wasn't on our radar suddenly showing interest. None of that is happening and I don't get it.

I completely agree Bass. I mean let’s face it we are going 11-1 this year and will either get into the playoffs or a NY6 bowl. Our offense has been rips in the nation pretty much all year until the UGA game. Yet it hasn’t seemed to move the needle with the 23 class. I think it will have a huge effect on the 24 and 25 class but like you I am shocked we haven’t gotten any traction with more elite 23 guys. Especially on the offensive side of the ball.

I completely agree Bass. I mean let’s face it we are going 11-1 this year and will either get into the playoffs or a NY6 bowl. Our offense has been rips in the nation pretty much all year until the UGA game. Yet it hasn’t seemed to move the needle with the 23 class. I think it will have a huge effect on the 24 and 25 class but like you I am shocked we haven’t gotten any traction with more elite 23 guys. Especially on the offensive side of the ball.
Our class was nearly complete before the season got going. In order to add or flip a large number of guys, they'd have to ask several current commits to look elsewhere. I think the staff really likes the players we have committed currently for the most part. They worked really hard building relationships with these kids and their families.

I don't think we need to necessarily recruit on the same level. Clemson never had comparable classes to Bama. As long as you have an elite QB, play-makers and a good system - you can compensate for lesser recruiting.

We absolutely do need UGA level players on the DL though. That's who wins you championships. Omari is on that level. Terry is serviceable. The rest are a grade below the level we need, imo. We're ahead of schedule in terms of edge rushers though, which is a positive.

Also, like GA you need a really good secondary. There's a huge noticeable gap there. It's part talent, part development. Martinez is a horrible developer and secondary coach. He used to live off being an elite recruiter but that's not there Anymore. I really hope Heupel makes a change and upgrade here.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
We beat Bama in a down year for them (note LSU just beat them, too). Also, our home crowd did to them what UGA home crowd did for them vs us. If we play that game on a neutral field we don't win it. Also Bama has an uncharacteristically weak secondary, and we play a style that can really exploit that.

Clemson also has had plenty of time to prepare for Bama each time they've played them. They don't have to play them a week after playing LSU and a week before playing Georgia or some other ranked SEC team.

We could beat Ala at home or a neutral field. Yes they helped with 17 penalties but we did the same for GA. Also we have our best WR out, lost the turnover battle and had 4 starters missing from the secondary. We gave them 7 on a Fumble that scored a Defensive TD and that horrible PI call. Without the PI call and have it called on Ala, they are 3rd and a mile. If they are lucky they hit a long FG, but their kicker was struggling..so that's 10-14 points they wouldn't have had..wo 49-35 or 49-38 and no reason to have to kick that FG. And again that's with Tillman out, the majority of our 2 deep secondary and losing the TO battle.

Also I wouldn't say Ala has a weak Secondary. They've held 6 of 9 opponents under 200 passing yards and 2 of those under 100 passing yards.Hooker is the only QB to throw for 300+. TEXAS HAD RIGHT AT 300, but that was combined from 2 QB's. And we all know Hyatt had over 200 of that.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
We could beat Ala at home or a neutral field. Yes they helped with 17 penalties but we did the same for GA. Also we have our best WR out, lost the turnover battle and had 4 starters missing from the secondary. We gave them 7 on a Fumble that scored a Defensive TD and that horrible PI call. Without the PI call and have it called on Ala, they are 3rd and a mile. If they are lucky they hit a long FG, but their kicker was struggling..so that's 10-14 points they wouldn't have had..wo 49-35 or 49-38 and no reason to have to kick that FG. And again that's with Tillman out, the majority of our 2 deep secondary and losing the TO battle.

Also I wouldn't say Ala has a weak Secondary. They've held 6 of 9 opponents under 200 passing yards and 2 of those under 100 passing yards.Hooker is the only QB to throw for 300+. TEXAS HAD RIGHT AT 300, but that was combined from 2 QB's. And we all know Hyatt had over 200 of that.
You are remembering the breaks that went against us but not the breaks that went for us - lke the Bama fumble on the punt that led to one of our TD's. And of course their kicker missed a FG he ordinarily makes. Etc.

Reactions: 19_GBO_19

Just in limited action, you can tell Milton has improved on his downfield passing. At times Hooker has missed on some of those( 3 on Sat). We will miss Hyatt and Tillman, if he leaves. But I think White will be much more productive long term and Bru keeps getting better every week. I would expect us to maybe turn to the portal for a WR,TE,maybe a RB and some damn Secondary help. We should do well in the portal this year.

Just in limited action, you can tell Milton has improved on his downfield passing. At times Hooker has missed on some of those( 3 on Sat). We will miss Hyatt and Tillman, if he leaves. But I think White will be much more productive long term and Bru keeps getting better every week. I would expect us to maybe turn to the portal for a WR,TE,maybe a RB and some damn Secondary help. We should do well in the portal this year.
Keyton is likely to use his super senior year.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
are you trying to talk me off the ledge, or yourself?
lol.

i think Milton will be fine. i just think people are looking at what Hooker is doing and some will forget this is hard. and not every one will replicate it. this season and how Hooker has played has been very special.

Reactions: LittleVol
are you trying to talk me off the ledge, or yourself?
lol.

i think Milton will be fine. i just think people are looking at what Hooker is doing and some will forget this is hard. and not every one will replicate it. this season and how Hooker has played has been very special.
Hooker put the time in and from all the reports Milton has been too. If Milton has the same work ethic and gets results next year he is easily a top 15 draft pick.

Hooker put the time in and from all the reports Milton has been too. If Milton has the same work ethic and gets results next year he is easily a top 15 draft pick.
i don't recall saying anything about any of that? but ok.

I think we need at least 3-5 early contributors and we need to hit on 12-15 players that will play by there third year. Then sprinkle in some nice transfers and you have yourself a championship caliber team. I think this coaching staff can build a championship caliber team.

Reactions: VolNash17
I think we need at least 3-5 early contributors and we need to hit on 12-15 players that will play by there third year. Then sprinkle in some nice transfers and you have yourself a championship caliber team. I think this coaching staff can build a championship caliber team.
Well they've coached other coaches'players to the precipice... So it will be interesting to see what they're capable of going forward....

Reactions: VolNash17

VN Store

Back