Closing the recruiting gap

This seems like a real pickle. 9 wins would be a good result next year in light of what we’re losing, but how are recruits gonna view that compared to the vision of an 11-1 playoff contender? And what happens this cycle if Golesh and/or Garner leave before early signing day? I know it’s dumb to worry about things you can’t control but it seems like there should be more urgency to strike while the iron is hot.

So why why with the success Heupel is having are we not making a move from 10 to 12th range up to top 5 or 6 at least? What are recruits waiting for? Why aren’t players flocking to be part of this and developed by what is now a demonstrably capable coaching staff? What will it take to crack the top 5v

Good questions. I know I don’t have the answers. I mean I think it’s gonna be a struggle for us to make the top 10. I mean Keith and Lang are both 3*’that aren’t going to help us in the rankings. Hobbs would help but I don’t know if that’s enough to propel us into the top 10.

Good questions. I know I don’t have the answers. I mean I think it’s gonna be a struggle for us to make the top 10. I mean Keith and Lang are both 3*’that aren’t going to help us in the rankings. Hobbs would help but I don’t know if that’s enough to propel us into the top 10.

Difference between sneaking into top 10 and being like 13th is negligible

Difference between sneaking into top 10 and being like 13th is negligible

Yeah but it’s a perception thing. Saying you signed a top 10 class is better. But our per recruit average has us around 15th I believe. We should be able to do better than that imo.

Because it is happening for other schools. MSU about to flip Dante Moore? Cobb visiting UGA. And when we were bad, players were jumping like flies.

'24 class is going to be great. But I'm surprised at the lack of momentum in the current class. Who knows, maybe a Tyre West pops up out of nowhere. Hope so. We won't finish top 10 with the current players we have a chance at adding.
If Moore flips its because Sparty season is bad and they need huge PR Hit so over paying is what they need to do and he is local.

As someone who just can’t invest the time to understand and keep up each individual thread of dozens of prospects in the recruiting forum, can someone help me understand just how the recruiting is going and how far we are from closing the talent gap with Georgia? I can keep up with the big names like Nico and the skill players; but how are we looking in the trenches, especially on the OL? Are we making any inroads at all in recruiting in the absolute talent hotbed that is the State of Georgia? Do we have any chance at a top 3 class? With the success we have had this season I was expecting recruiting to take off but I still keep hearing that we are still ranked around tenth. What is the state of recruiting right now? Thanks in advance!

In short - winning rn impacts recruiting 1-2 years out.

Don't take the closing of this class as any sign (it is still very good and just look what we've done with the 19th most talented team...).

This will have huge implications for the 2024 and 2025 classes.

The gap - as of this team's talent vs UGA's is MASSIVE. I'm talking parting of the red sea - on paper. It is the same gap as between us and Arkansas St down to Louisiana. Now...a team can only play 11 v 11 at a time which helps and a more top-heavy look probably makes this closer, but yes it is still huge across the entire roster - per player average and cumulative talent points.

Just imagine once we recruit and hold onto some top-12 type classes. Huge.

Last edited:
Good discussions here. I agree with bass here. We have to recruit better than 12-15th overall. We will not sustain success or establish an elite program like that. The difference in our RBs vs UGAs was astounding. Secondary differences was also on display but I think we all knew that pretty well
Even if we had LSU’s athletes I think it would’ve been different. LSU, UGA, FLA will ALWAYS have athletes. Alabama will have athletes but their recruiting didn’t really skyrocket for a period of time until Saban got there and he’s a generational coach. We just need to have somewhat comparable talent. I do think we have a superior scheme currently than every team in the SEC.

I’m fine with Dabo being labeled an anomaly as long as we admit that means he’s the best coach in the country.

I don’t think that. Do you?
Well he certainly should be considered near the top. I don’t understand the disdain by some here on his level of character and coaching accomplishments.

It's part of the climb for us. Wasn't part of the climb for other schools. That's what I don't get. LSU signed an elite class in the middle of their run. Of course we know what Kirby did at Ga following one season he signed the number 2 class or so. Of course, Saban signed number 1 at Bama after 1 year.

I'm not worried about us not being okay. We are far ahead of schedule. But if we want to win year in and year out we need dudes.
Dudes that can stand up physically and emotionally to what Georgia will be doing. Or all of this will continue to be for second place. We will not be Finessing UGA. We have to power slam them. And we (in the future) have to finish near the top 5 in recruiting. The talent pool will tell the tale. Out executing bigger and stronger players doesn't happen much.

Reactions: VolNash17
I'll be surprised if we don't take a big step back next year unless Milton has vastly improved. We are losing a ton:

Gone:
Hooker
Tillman
Hyatt
Keyton
Darnell
Carvin
Fant
BY
Bumphus
Banks
Mitchell
Tank
Flowers

That is significant. We need to dominate the portal.
i think we need to wait a bit to get this list in to a more "realistic" look. i don't think everyone on this is a slam dunk....

I don't think we can just take for granted what Hooker has given to us. If Milton still has the mental lapses and the overthrows, the offense will step back unless Nico or Tayven are ready from the jump. Hyatt is going to have a first or second round grade. I'd be stunned if he stayed. Keyton can come back for the covid year, but we need to upgrade there regardless.

Tank and Flowers are slow but they start for a reason. Bumphus has played a lot and is good depth and I'm not certain he has "dudes" behind him. BY has a first or second round grade. Pearce has yet to do anything. Josephs has shown promise, but its far from a guaranteed that we don't take a step back or that we upgrade there without him.
AGreed. he's leaving the biggest shoes to fill. and it's kind of scary because he's made what he's done this year look so EASY....and it's just not. QB will take a step back even if Milton is really good next year. Hendon is having a VERY special year....and it isn't something that can just be duplicated. a lot of people won't realize that and will be easily disappointed next year when it's not.

We don't have the depth man. We haven't replaced these guys. We aren't ready to field a team of sophomores and freshman. We need portal help bigly.
agreed, but, with this caveat, we've done a good job of getting a lot of guys reps this year, so while i agree with you, we are not totally inexperienced.

and yes, the portal will be huge.

AGreed. he's leaving the biggest shoes to fill. and it's kind of scary because he's made what he's done this year look so EASY....and it's just not. QB will take a step back even if Milton is really good next year. Hendon is having a VERY special year....and it isn't something that can just be duplicated. a lot of people won't realize that and will be easily disappointed next year when it's not.

We really need to temper our expectations next year. It is going to be more like what we expected this year to be. I would not bank on an 11-1 season or anything crazy next year.

The only factor that could help us is that all our opponents are also losing a lot. Alabama won't have Bryce Young or Jamyr Gibbs and Georgia loses a lot of players. However, Georgia is in better shape to just reload. I am not so sure about Alabama. Florida will also lose some players but they are still a potential scary opponent as well.

A step backwards is probably expected though nonetheless.
it's kind of funny my daughter and i were talking about this last night....she was already looking at draft eligibility rules to find out who might leave early....i kind of welled up a little bit.

but we both agreed, enjoy whatever happens this year, next year, neither of us think it will be bad, but it surely won't be like this.....

We really need to temper our expectations next year. It is going to be more like what we expected this year to be. I would not bank on an 11-1 season or anything crazy next year.

The only factor that could help us is that all our opponents are also losing a lot. Alabama won't have Bryce Young or Jamyr Gibbs and Georgia loses a lot of players. However, Georgia is in better shape to just reload. I am not so sure about Alabama. Florida will also lose some players but they are still a potential scary opponent as well.
oh, i agree, and i wonder about what aTm looks like next year too. i think, sitting here in November 2022, aTm and Florida are probably the swing games next season. @ UK will probably be interesting on some level. and hard to project what Mizzou and USCe will be.

what happens in the portal this winter is going to be a big deal i think. and will help dicatate perception of what is possible next season.

oh, i agree, and i wonder about what aTm looks like next year too. i think, sitting here in November 2022, aTm and Florida are probably the swing games next season. @ UK will probably be interesting on some level. and hard to project what Mizzou and USCe will be.

what happens in the portal this winter is going to be a big deal i think. and will help dicatate perception of what is possible next season.

Missouri and South Carolina are big wild cards. However, UK and USCe lose a lot. Missouri might be more of a risk than both of them. Texas A&M has to travel to Knoxville so that is a big factor with them and give me more confidence.

@ Florida is our first true test and I think it is a classic toss-up game for us.

You also have to account for the history of Heupel's offenses. He's consistently produced better results each year at each school. Changing QB's hasn't shown a decline in his offense statistically. If the defense continues to improve, there shouldn't be some huge drop off. It's hard to do better than 11-1 (if that's how we finish). That's what people have to consider. The goal is to make 9 regular seasons wins the floor for the next 2 seasons IMO. I would say 95% thought 10 wins was our ceiling before this season started.

As someone who just can’t invest the time to understand and keep up each individual thread of dozens of prospects in the recruiting forum, can someone help me understand just how the recruiting is going and how far we are from closing the talent gap with Georgia? I can keep up with the big names like Nico and the skill players; but how are we looking in the trenches, especially on the OL? Are we making any inroads at all in recruiting in the absolute talent hotbed that is the State of Georgia? Do we have any chance at a top 3 class? With the success we have had this season I was expecting recruiting to take off but I still keep hearing that we are still ranked around tenth. What is the state of recruiting right now? Thanks in advance!

We had two bigtime commitments the week after Bama game. Both for 2024.

Our 2023 class is very solid.

People will continue to look at class rankings in a vaccum VS what a team actually needs.

This 2023 class provides a program changing QB, and bunch of great depth along with some future studs.
It's one of the best secondary hauls we've had in a long time.

This class absolutely closes the gap. It's not about stars on website.
It's about getting the players you need WHEN you need them. And to execute at a high level with them

VN Store

Back