Closing the recruiting gap

OrangeTsar

Alabama delenda est
As someone who just can’t invest the time to understand and keep up each individual thread of dozens of prospects in the recruiting forum, can someone help me understand just how the recruiting is going and how far we are from closing the talent gap with Georgia? I can keep up with the big names like Nico and the skill players; but how are we looking in the trenches, especially on the OL? Are we making any inroads at all in recruiting in the absolute talent hotbed that is the State of Georgia? Do we have any chance at a top 3 class? With the success we have had this season I was expecting recruiting to take off but I still keep hearing that we are still ranked around tenth. What is the state of recruiting right now? Thanks in advance!

The past 3 years or so we have dropped down to classes in the 15-20 range. This years class is around 10 so I think we are increasing the talent. We will need 2-3 really good years to crack the top 5 probably but the success this year will only help.

24 and 25 classes need to stay top 10 range classes. Truth is most of the time classes 6-12ish are pretty much the same. So we need to stay there.

Another thing that will curious to see in future years. The talent is more spread out this year. Usually the top 3-4 classes have a decent gap between them and the others. This year not so much. The gap between 2 and 10 isn’t as big this year as in other years. Maybe because NIL? Idk

Reactions: norrislakevol
I agree we do not have to be 1-3 every year but we have to be top 10 every year and have an occasional top 5 class to have the talent stay close.

Saturday was a big eye opener as to just how big the talent gap was. GA was better at every position group (not every player but group).

Take a look at A&M's draft classes since 2018 paired with their records. Top 10 classes each year with two Top 5, and yet very average results. 22-17 in SEC play since Jimbo took over.

It really comes down to coaching and player development. Good staffs can have pretty good seasons with a bunch of 4-5*, but great staffs can take 3* and turn them into 4-5* talent, and make the 4-5* recruits that much better.

Nick Saban and Kirby Smart are of course great coaches, but the program they put together with the elite coaching staff they bring aboard is really what separates them from the good.

I don't think we need to necessarily recruit on the same level. Clemson never had comparable classes to Bama. As long as you have an elite QB, play-makers and a good system - you can compensate for lesser recruiting.

We absolutely do need UGA level players on the DL though. That's who wins you championships. Omari is on that level. Terry is serviceable. The rest are a grade below the level we need, imo. We're ahead of schedule in terms of edge rushers though, which is a positive.

I don't think we need to necessarily recruit on the same level. Clemson never had comparable classes to Bama. As long as you have an elite QB, play-makers and a good system - you can compensate for lesser recruiting.

We absolutely do need UGA level players on the DL though. That's who wins you championships. Omari is on that level. Terry is serviceable. The rest are a grade below the level we need, imo. We're ahead of schedule in terms of edge rushers though, which is a positive.
What we do need (what every top team needs) is defensive speed. You can’t coach it up. Speed is nice on offense. Absolutely necessary on a top defense.

So why why with the success Heupel is having are we not making a move from 10 to 12th range up to top 5 or 6 at least? What are recruits waiting for? Why aren’t players flocking to be part of this and developed by what is now a demonstrably capable coaching staff? What will it take to crack the top 5v

So why why with the success Heupel is having are we not making a move from 10 to 12th range up to top 5 or 6 at least? What are recruits waiting for? Why aren’t players flocking to be part of this and developed by what is now a demonstrably capable coaching staff? What will it take to crack the top 5v
Relationships are made years in advance. 2024 and 2025 we will likely see a jump in the rankings. No one expected us to be this good this season, so we’ve kind of been selling hopes and dreams. NCAA still impacted things as well

Relationships are made years in advance. 2024 and 2025 we will likely see a jump in the rankings. No one expected us to be this good this season, so we’ve kind of been selling hopes and dreams. NCAA still impacted things as well
I keep forgetting about the NCAA. I bet a lot of opposing coaches are also telling recruits that this year’s team is a one hit flash in the pan. We need a couple of good seasons back to back to show we aren’t LSU 2019

Recruiting starts early.

You won't see a staffs maximum ability to recruit until year 3 at the earliest.

The Bama game, the LSU game, all of those games made great inroads with the '24 class.

By the time the season rolls around, most '23 prospects have already decided at least blocked out the outside noise in their decision making process.

I agree we do not have to be 1-3 every year but we have to be top 10 every year and have an occasional top 5 class to have the talent stay close.

Saturday was a big eye opener as to just how big the talent gap was. GA was better at every position group (not every player but group).

Clemson didn’t have to in order to win 2 national titles. They were consistently top 15 until they won. Coaching does matter, and we don’t need top 5 or 10 every year. But we do need to have one every couple of years in the SEC.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I feel like Clemson had several top 5 classes in a row.

I came here to ask this exact same question. I don't follow recruiting as closesly and I think Tennessee's success this year shows that coaching means more than recruiting. BUT in order to get to the top, I don't think you can do it with coaching alone and need to have elite talent. Just checked rivals. Wow, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida all ahead of us right now. Even Oklahoma which is shocking given their season.

I do think the portal makes some of the HS recruiting less relevant I just am a bit surprised Tennessee hasn't done better with all the 5 stars who have been at the games.

Doing it for more than 1 season.

Clemson won 2 NC without ever cracking the top 5 in recruiting.

We're behind pace right now with Bama/UGA 1-2 depending on where you look and us around 12th.

We don't have to be #1 every year but we need to break the cycle of being 5-6th in the conference every year.
Yep. As great of a job as the staff has done coaching this team, they have to pick it up on the trail if they're going to be the long-term answer. #12-ranked classes aren't going to get it done.

There is a huge misconception when it comes to recruiting and the OL. OL is a developmental position. Having 5* OL can help speed up that developmental curve but it isn't necessary. There is also a huge overreaction to the game on Saturday going on right now. People are acting like we were supposed to win a national championship this year. Is there a talent gap? Yes there is. Was that going to be fixed in a couple of years? No it wasn't. You have to ask yourself... How many schools don't have a noticeable talent gap compared to that Georgia roster? Do the players in our current class appear to be an upgrade in talent overall? It's easy to have a knee-jerk reaction to one game against the #1 team in the country, with the #1 defense in the country on their home field. The future looks bright for us. Before the season 99% would have been thrilled with being 2-1 against our big 3 rivals.

There is a huge misconception when it comes to recruiting and the OL. OL is a developmental position. Having 5* OL can help speed up that developmental curve but it isn't necessary. There is also a huge overreaction to the game on Saturday going on right now. People are acting like we were supposed to win a national championship this year. Is there a talent gap? Yes there is. Was that going to be fixed in a couple of years? No it wasn't. You have to ask yourself... How many schools don't have a noticeable talent gap compared to that Georgia roster? Do the players in our current class appear to be an upgrade in talent overall? It's easy to have a knee-jerk reaction to one game against the #1 team in the country, with the #1 defense in the country on their home field. The future looks bright for us. Before the season 99% would have been thrilled with being 2-1 against our big 3 rivals.
I agree that there is no reason whatsoever that we should expect a Natty right now nor should be expect to match Georgia in talent yet. My question/concern is, what do we have to do to BEGIN to close that gap? If Georgia keeps coming in top 3 and we keep coming in 10 to 15, the gap will never close. I just want to understand what to change for that to happen? I had hoped (probably naïvely) that our performance so far this season would have begun to move the needle. I believe in Heup and this staff. I just want to see us begin to start getting multiple 5 stars in the trenches

I agree that there is no reason whatsoever that we should expect a Natty right now nor should be expect to match Georgia in talent yet. My question/concern is, what do we have to do to BEGIN to close that gap? If Georgia keeps coming in top 3 and we keep coming in 10 to 15, the gap will never close. I just want to understand what to change for that to happen? I had hoped (probably naïvely) that our performance so far this season would have begun to move the needle. I believe in Heup and this staff. I just want to see us begin to start getting multiple 5 stars in the trenches
We are looking very good for the '24 and '25 classes right now. I can't say that they will be top 3, but being in that top 5-8 range seems very likely. Multiple classes with that level of talent will help keep us in the conversation every year. That's where we want to be. We haven't even been relevant during the lifespan of these recruits.

As long as Garner is here we will have an opportunity to recruit elite talent at DL and develop them into NFL guys.

The more guys we put in the NFL, the more we will get looks from elite talent.

Until then, we have to supercharge our recruiting efforts and/or steal a guy or two by going all out on NIL. Even then, it's hit or miss.

UGA has an elite evaluation program, recruiting machine, they've caught us in NIL, their development is 1st or 2nd, and they put guys in the league. How do you beat the machine operating at that level?

You get an edge where you can. Right now the only edge that we as fans can control is NIL. We have to trust that our staff can or will eval and develop top tier talent.

I keep forgetting about the NCAA. I bet a lot of opposing coaches are also telling recruits that this year’s team is a one hit flash in the pan. We need a couple of good seasons back to back to show we aren’t LSU 2019

there is nothing wrong w/ being LSU 2019 - they won the chip!

they had plenty of talent but never jelled as a team and/or coaching malpractice occurred and/or complacency occurred (see coaching) - actually all of that occurred.

CJH isn't going to fail us in those areas.

yeah, I'd take LSU 2019 all day long without the failures of the following seasons for the reasons already stated.

Reactions: NomadVol

VN Store

Back