Closing the recruiting gap

We need to sign top 8-10 classes consistently at worst and 2 out of every 5 years sign a top 3-5 class. Half of our guys on both LOS need to be NFL caliber players and we need at least 1 RB and LB that is an NFL caliber player as well as 1 NFL caliber player at both levels of the secondary. We also need 1-2 WR or TEs that is capable of beating NFL caliber coverage without being schemed open. Right now we have maybe half of that at best. The talent gap is that wide. It’ll be 2024 at least until that talent gap is close to even unless we knock it out of the park in the portal for the next 2 years. At this point we are peak Oregon. We have maybe 4-5 NFL caliber players sprinkled throughout our roster, but our system allows us to play above our talent level right now.

I think it’s possible we could get to #10 for 2023. That’s a good start. As far as how far away from UGA/Bama? IMO we are about 3-4 years behind. It’s going to be really hard to ever gain ground on UGA white Kirby is there. He is an elite HC with an elite staff. They always recruit top 3 classes. We need to get to the point where we are consistently in the top 7.

Reactions: bigl3327
I have posted about this before but essentially the wealth disparity between the top 3 and top 10 is very wide. You can reach a new year bowl every year with top 10 classes. You can do it even with top 15 if you have great coaching. But if you want to be in the CFP every year, or be able to say the uga and bama game will be competitive each year, then you need to be bringing in a top 3 class. We’re not there yet. Our average commit on 247 rates out at 90. That number needs to be 92-93 to close the gap as uga and bama average 93-94 per commit.

I have posted about this before but essentially the wealth disparity between the top 3 and top 10 is very wide. You can reach a new year bowl every year with top 10 classes. You can do it even with top 15 if you have great coaching. But if you want to be in the CFP every year, or be able to say the uga and bama game will be competitive each year, then you need to be bringing in a top 3 class. We’re not there yet. Our average commit on 247 rates out at 90. That number needs to be 92-93 to close the gap as uga and bama average 93-94 per commit.

You can win a NC, actually multiple NCs, without bringing in a single top 3 or even top 5 class. Please see Clemson.

Or are we saying Dabo is the best coach in the country? Bc I have some issues with that.

We are looking very good for the '24 and '25 classes right now. I can't say that they will be top 3, but being in that top 5-8 range seems very likely. Multiple classes with that level of talent will help keep us in the conversation every year. That's where we want to be. We haven't even been relevant during the lifespan of these recruits.
This is an important distinction. We haven’t been relevant in these kids lifetime. We have had a good year. We aren’t a good team. You become “a good team” when you have enough good years that people expect a good year every year. I for one believe that this coaching staff can make that happen without having top 3 classes, but then you need the recruits for the long haul. Once a team starts winning you will have other challenges such as coaches leaving for their own HC jobs and recruits leaving early for the NFL. That’s what makes what Saban has done, so amazing.

Reactions: bigl3327
You can win a NC, actually multiple NCs, without bringing in a single top 3 or even top 5 class. Please see Clemson.

Or are we saying Dabo is the best coach in the country? Bc I have some issues with that.

What you are saying is true however, Dabo and Clemson isn’t playing the Floridas, Georgias, and Bama during their regular season like we do. So their path to the playoffs is much easier year in and out

Seems like an outlier to support a point that’s not the main point. The argument to answer this question is much different than for Tennessee. The road to the CFP for Clemson was aided heavily by a light acc schedule (which we will never benefit from). And they didn’t have to play bama (and now uga) every year (which we don’t benefit from), but when they did play them they made it count, on the backs of their heisman finalist qbs.

The most important part of my statement to me in answering the question of closing the talent gap between Tennessee and Uga/Bama is not based on winning a nc or on beating bama and uga once every few years, it’s in the game being competitive every year, and making the CFP every year, which those 2 teams seem to do, despite playing in the hardest conference in America.

So yeah if we had a light schedule and only had to play them every couple years in a game we had a month and a half to prepare for, I’d feel better about our chances with less talent. But that’s not the case. And regardless of outcomes, the question was about closing the recruiting gap. There is no doubting that a top 3 class comprised of different caliber players from that of a top 10 class.

As for Dabo I agree with you, not the best coach in the country. But let’s not also pretend he isn’t a great coach. You don’t win multiple NCs without being great at what you do. Let’s hope he doesn’t go to bama whenever saban retires.

Last edited:
What you are saying is true however, Dabo and Clemson isn’t playing the Floridas, Georgias, and Bama during their regular season like we do. So their path to the playoffs is much easier year in and out

True, but they beat those teams on their way to 2 separate national championships. It can be done.

We beat Bama this year. We haven’t sniffed a top 3 class while we all know their recruiting prowess. We’re talking like UGA and maybe 1 more are the only teams that can beat the Vols this season yet we haven’t sniffed a top 3 class.

UGA was at home. Big crowd. Reigning nat’l champs. They’re obviously really good. I still believe the Vols *could* beat them. Idk if it’ll happen.

I agree with you on this. The main factors are to minimize attrition, staff stability, and development. It's hard to develop guys with constant roster and coaching turnover. It's also hard to maintain a cohesive team mentality. That's what we're seeing at Bama this year. There is no question whether or not they have far superior roster talent to us or LSU. They are suffering from the same issue that UT had in '99. They have a lot of NFL bound individuals, but no team cohesion. Superior talent alone doesn't win championships either. I think Heupel is recruiting the right type of guys from a work ethic and mentality standpoint to keep the train on the track.

Reactions: KptVFL
The portal is not the future. Many P5 programs are already on board with player compensation because it will put control over NIL and transfers back in the hands of athletic directors. It’s probably gonna happen in the next couple of years, which means the door we used for this season is going to be slammed shut soon.

'24 is when we're really going to see the gap begin to close. We added some pieces in '22 and will again in '23, especially with Nico. But that '24 class will be elite and the first elite class we've signed in a long, long time.

recruiting calendar is moved up because of early signing and now being able to take officials in the spring of your jr. year. so a lot of prospects are now committing and getting recruiting done before their SR seasons even start.

"hay is in the barn" for many.

@Bassmaster_Vol is also correct, and for the same reasons, the next cycle will be the class that is most impacted by our success this year. that, and the transfer portal this winter.

so if you are concerned about 23, don't be. it's still gonna be a good class, and could (i think likely) be a top 10 class. but we have the QB of the future in this class and that's huge.

the 24 class is off to a fantastic start as well, and i'd imagine it'll be in the top 5 conversation before it's all said and done.

Hmmm can you name another coach that has done what Dabo has done? Or is he just an anomaly? Because exceptions don’t prove the rule.

Hmmm can you name another coach that has done what Dabo has done? Or is he just an anomaly? Because exceptions don’t prove the rule.

I’m fine with Dabo being labeled an anomaly as long as we admit that means he’s the best coach in the country.

I don’t think that. Do you?

It's not the exact same because they lost the championship game, but Oregon had a similar run without having top rated classes. Chip Kelly had that Oregon program as one of the most dominant teams in college football until he left.

The most important position in football is QB and we have the best committed. Nico is a super QB Recruit. Dabo won 2 Nattys with this type of QB . As far as the rest of this class goes we have Elite recruits Bradley Herring Seldon Davis all top 100 players and then Matthew's Gibson Umarov Smith Leathcock Weathersby all of whom have the ability to be Elite. I love our 23 class. Other than the top 3 or 4 classes trust me the rest say from 5 to our class is all subjection meaning I will take our top 12 players over there's. In CHRIST Alone

The most important position in football is QB and we have the best committed. Nico is a super QB Recruit. Dabo won 2 Nattys with this type of QB . As far as the rest of this class goes we have Elite recruits Bradley Herring Seldon Davis all top 100 players and then Matthew's Gibson Umarov Smith Leathcock Weathersby all of whom have the ability to be Elite. I love our 23 class. Other than the top 3 or 4 classes trust me the rest say from 5 to our class is all subjection meaning I will take our top 12 players over there's. In CHRIST Alone
Just Hope we have an OL that can protect Nico so he has the chance to be elite. 😉

Reactions: vettefool
Just Hope we have an OL that can protect Nico so he has the chance to be elite. 😉
Understand your thought. We have outstanding OL Coach Ellerbe and Heup are insink. They love the freshman class and believe me Bussell is underrated from Mt Juliet. Athletic kid the staff evaluated him over the other OL in state this year. Sham has big time talent. Would like 1 more with great potential. OL other than QB is the hardest position to play especially against really good Defense in front of you. In CHRIST Alone

Understand your thought. We have outstanding OL Coach Ellerbe and Heup are insink. They love the freshman class and believe me Bussell is underrated from Mt Juliet. Athletic kid the staff evaluated him over the other OL in state this year. Sham has big time talent. Would like 1 more with great potential. OL other than QB is the hardest position to play especially against really good Defense in front of you. In CHRIST Alone
Love your closing line in your messages

Clemson plays in the ACC. Big difference in the path to the playoffs. We have to get through Georgia and Florida every year just to get to the SECCG, and have to deal with Bama EVERY year, too. We absolutely must recruit with those programs, or at least come close to them.

Reactions: vettefool
Clemson plays in the ACC. Big difference in the path to the playoffs. We have to get through Georgia and Florida every year just to get to the SECCG, and have to deal with Bama EVERY year, too. We absolutely must recruit with those programs, or at least come close to them.

Weird. I seem to recall we beat Bama this year while not recruiting with them.

Clemson also had not recruited with them. Yet beat them more than once on their way to being champs.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
The portal is not the future. Many P5 programs are already on board with player compensation because it will put control over NIL and transfers back in the hands of athletic directors. It’s probably gonna happen in the next couple of years, which means the door we used for this season is going to be slammed shut soon.

Theoretically, NIL is not supposed to be a part of the school where the player goes, so it's not yet clear to me exactly how NIL might attach a player permanently to a school and keep him out of the portal.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
It's not the exact same because they lost the championship game, but Oregon had a similar run without having top rated classes. Chip Kelly had that Oregon program as one of the most dominant teams in college football until he left.

Yeah but these situations are rare. Banking on us copying that formula is not a guarantee. While smelly had some great teams, the P12 wasn’t a powerhouse. The overwhelming evidence points to the fact that unless you get the highest rated recruits, you aren’t winning. Bama, UGA and OSU prove that. Yes Clemson is an outlier.

VN Store

Back