China Thread

It isn’t worth one single life. However, you and I both know that money talks.

Auto companies and others were forced to shut down manufacturing because of one single solid state device. Imagine what would happen without access to all the other technology from Taiwan we depend on. Now figure what happens if China decides to withhold what it makes, too, to force US compliance. Look at the other major manufacturers in Korea and southeastern Asia and their proximity to China. We made a deal with the devil, and the payment is coming due. Absolute stupidity on our part - by government, business, and investment.

Globalism strikes again. If you don't manufacture what you need, then you have to protect your sources; and when they are Asian, we are in deep doo doo. Falling for globalism with it's promise of short term profits is probably the biggest false step this country has made ... and it's likely to be terminal.

Manufacturing won't come home until the companies see it as profitable or necessary for survival to do so. They'll either want tax breaks or local investments to a level that would upend state and local budgets, wage and compensation allowances that would mean poverty wages for their employees, high prices that out the products out of reach for the median consumer, or a combination of all three in order to keep quarterly dividends and growth high enough to please their investors.

How do we make it happen without screwing someone over long term in the process?

Globalism strikes again. If you don't manufacture what you need, then you have to protect your sources; and when they are Asian, we are in deep doo doo. Falling for globalism with it's promise of short term profits is probably the biggest false step this country has made ... and it's likely to be terminal.
I think most people knew that 25 years ago. The rich and powerful don't care. I'm just thankful that the people that are responsible for this mess are on the coasts and will be the first to suffer.

Reactions: davethevol and AM64
Manufacturing won't come home until the companies see it as profitable or necessary for survival to do so. They'll either want tax breaks or local investments to a level that would upend state and local budgets, wage and compensation allowances that would mean poverty wages for their employees, high prices that out the products out of reach for the median consumer, or a combination of all three in order to keep quarterly dividends and growth high enough to please their investors.

How do we make it happen without screwing someone over long term in the process?
So we should just roll over and give up? We are a very short time from China putting a major hurt on us by withholding critical goods which will make us beholden to them. It has already happened after covid, just wait until they unleash their full might on us. We're weak and they know it.

That's the problem - you can't. For years we let government and unions set unreasonable values for US labor - priced ourselves out of the world economy. Our trade with Japan in the 50's, 60's and for some time onward was a wake up call that we ignored. Even now there's another move to pump minimum wage when we're already non competitive. This is like putting up a barrier and building a city below sea level, neglecting the barrier, and watching a sea level rise. The outcome will be painful - inundation, more protection and kicking the can down the road, or recognition that you give up the city and rebuild elsewhere. All are painful.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
That's the problem - you can't. For years we let government and unions set unreasonable values for US labor - priced ourselves out of the world economy. Our trade with Japan in the 50's, 60's and for some time onward was a wake up call that we ignored. Even now there's another move to pump minimum wage when we're already non competitive. This is like putting up a barrier and building a city below sea level, neglecting the barrier, and watching a sea level rise. The outcome will be painful - inundation, more protection and kicking the can down the road, or recognition that you give up the city and rebuild elsewhere. All are painful.
You tax them into making it more profitable to do business here. You tax foreign made goods at an even higher level so they can compete. It's quite simple actually.

You tax them into making it more profitable to do business here. You tax foreign made goods at an even higher level so they can compete. It's quite simple actually.

That's an artificial solution - like building the barrier higher. At some point you have to realize taxes and tariffs aren't long term solutions - you have to adjust to living within your means, and that's in an open rather than a closed system. Open because you can't control things like the prices of food and other products you use and consume. We are a consumer oriented, disposable, society, and that's going to be a tough lesson.

That's an artificial solution - like building the barrier higher. At some point you have to realize taxes and tariffs aren't long term solutions - you have to adjust to living within your means, and that's in an open rather than a closed system. Open because you can't control things like the prices of food and other products you use and consume. We are a consumer oriented, disposable, society, and that's going to be a tough lesson.
Fair enough. I will personally never complain about someone making a good wage. The idea of a union is not a bad thing. It's the practice of them is when the problems arise. The internationals of the unions will be the death of unions in the end. As far as people living within their means, it's not going to happen. I currently have no debt, but I'm a unicorn. Everyone wants a new $70k automobile or boat and they'll go in debt to get it.

Reactions: AM64
So we should just roll over and give up? We are a very short time from China putting a major hurt on us by withholding critical goods which will make us beholden to them. It has already happened after covid, just wait until they unleash their full might on us. We're weak and they know it.
IIRC, China even threatened to withhold drugs from the US that hundreds of thousands of people rely on even during COVID .

That's all it would take or something equivalent to bring this country to its knees.

IIRC, China even threatened to withhold drugs from the US that hundreds of thousands of people rely on even during COVID .

That's all it would take or something equivalent to bring this country to its knees.
Thank goodness we're focused on CRT teaching in schools instead of the STEM courses and taking down statues of our history, yea USA.

China will learn its lesson when our lefties scream, stomp their feet and hold their breath over how hurt their feelings are and how they’ve been offended by the CCP.

Thank goodness we're focused on CRT teaching in schools instead of the STEM courses and taking down statues of our history, yea USA.
The younger generations are screwed. There are serious conflicts on the horizon and they aren't going to be equipped to deal with them. What's the old saying... Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

The future isn't looking bright, that's for sure.

The younger generations are screwed. There are serious conflicts on the horizon and they aren't going to be equipped to deal with them. What's the old saying... Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

The future isn't looking bright, that's for sure.

There will be a time to put up or shut up for this younger generation to stand up and fight for America against the incoming China takeover of the globe. I would say this happens in the next 50-75 years. I’m afraid of what action they take…

There will be a time to put up or shut up for this younger generation to stand up and fight for America against the incoming China takeover of the globe. I would say this happens in the next 50-75 years. I’m afraid of what action they take…

50-75 years? We will be lucky to be intact for the next 10. Once American falls, vacuum game on

Reactions: davethevol

There is this whole entanglement thing going on now. International business. I sell to you, you sell to them, they buy from us. There are jobs impacts and pressures. No one wants war, but China is going is going to see if their testicles are larger now.

As a liberal arts professor, I make far less than a comparable position in a School of Business or a College of Engineering. I actually make (far) less than I would as a public school band director but the tradeoffs are worth it.

I give my incoming freshmen a compassionate hell in hopes to wake them up. So many come into my classrooms as music majors because they had fun in band/choir/orchestra and don't know what else to do. I want to save them time and trouble and money.

More people need to go to community college first to sort themselves out
Absolutely

As a liberal arts professor, I make far less than a comparable position in a School of Business or a College of Engineering. I actually make (far) less than I would as a public school band director but the tradeoffs are worth it.

I give my incoming freshmen a compassionate hell in hopes to wake them up. So many come into my classrooms as music majors because they had fun in band/choir/orchestra and don't know what else to do. I want to save them time and trouble and money.

More people need to go to community college first to sort themselves out.

College ain't for everybody. If it's free then the it gets taken for granted and I think the quality of it will diminish.

I like the way the state of TN handles community college.

I think most people knew that 25 years ago. The rich and powerful don't care. I'm just thankful that the people that are responsible for this mess are on the coasts and will be the first to suffer.
This guy called longer ago than that.

iu

College ain't for everybody. If it's free then the it gets taken for granted and I think the quality of it will diminish.

I like the way the state of TN handles community college.
Here's what I am looking forward to:
2010 Tennessee Code :: Title 49 - Education :: Chapter 7 - Postsecondary and Higher Education Generally :: :: Part 1 - Miscellaneous Provisions :: :: 49-7-113 - Disabled and elderly persons Auditing or enrollment.

Ima get back some of those big dollars that UT got outta me way back when... I am gonna get a law degree for $560. LOL

Reactions: BreatheUT and AM64
Quit trading with China. Without income flowing in, see how long that rhetoric lasts. We're funding their military and ambitions.
Yup, when shopping, first label I look at is the price, seconds is to see where it was made. If it says China, it goes back on the shelf, regardless of how good of a deal it is

There is this whole entanglement thing going on now. International business. I sell to you, you sell to them, they buy from us. There are jobs impacts and pressures. No one wants war, but China is going is going to see if their testicles are larger now.

China is manipulating the trade game in many ways. There's been a huge imbalance of trade, and China (or their shipping companies) have been refusing US goods - they want empty containers back to ship their stuff here - no loading and unloading time for US goods.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/26/shi...l-exports-sent-empty-containers-to-china.html

VN Store

Back