Cheap (and/or Convenient) Meal Ideas

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Inspired by the Chef-Boy-Ardee conversation int he politics forum, I'm wondering what good food tips people have. I have a few ways of dressing up dumpy food to legitimize it. A few examples:

Throw frozen vegetable mix and an egg in boiling water with your ramen mix and drain the broth before adding flavor packet. Pretty good noodles and you've made empty calories into something much more nutritious. I add cholula or sriracha.

Any kind of canned chili will be good if you add shredded cheese and fritos.

Grilling your PBJ's takes them to the next level.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Bagged salad and a can of chicken. Makes 2 meals, takes about a minute and costs about $5-6. Great to split with the wife since we are usually on our way to a kids practice

Reactions: Firebirdparts
Throw frozen vegetable mix and an egg in boiling water with your ramen mix and drain the broth before adding flavor packet. Pretty good noodles and you've made empty calories into something much more nutritious. I add cholula or sriracha.

Great thread idea!

I do the same with Ramen (but usually use the good gluten free ones my wife gets in the multi pack). I like to add some grilled chicken or steak, leftover or prepackaged.

Here's one:
Solid white canned tuna + leftover rice + sliced cucumbers + soy and Sriracha = imitation sushi bowl

Inspired by the Chef-Boy-Ardee conversation int he politics forum, I'm wondering what good food tips people have. I have a few ways of dressing up dumpy food to legitimize it. A few examples:

Any kind of canned chili will be good if you add shredded cheese and fritos.

Grilling your PBJ's takes them to the next level.

Under Stated

I had a go to work out meal that was addictive. White rice and a can of tuna dressed with soy sauce and black pepper.

Also addictive and mega cheap. Mac & Cheese infused with a can of tomato soup.

Reactions: MAD
I've browned ground meat and added olives, raisins, diced tomato, onion, garlic. Maybe a few other condiments. $5 pack of meat and a couple dollars worth of condiments and a family of 4 eats on the down low. Serve over rice. And very tasty. I do it from memory, but I think my mom called it picadilly so there's prolly a recipe for it.

I had a go to work out meal that was addictive. White rice and a can of tuna dressed with soy sauce and black pepper.

Also addictive and mega cheap. Mac & Cheese infused with a can of tomato soup.
Reminds me of one. My wife will add frozen broccoli to Mac and cheese. Adds flavor and sustenance

Another one for breakfast. Reheated leftover rice with a fried egg or 2 on top. Add some Sriracha.

Reminds me of one. My wife will add frozen broccoli to Mac and cheese. Adds flavor and sustenance
That's good too. Done that one.

When you're in grad school and already married, you can have Tomato Soup M&C for about $.25 a serving.

That's good too. Done that one.

When you're in grad school and already married, you can have Tomato Soup M&C for about $.25 a serving.
We'll have to try that one, hadn't heard of it but it doesn't sound bad

Also if you don't shop at Aldi, their Mac and cheese boxes are .45 cents. We stock up and use it as a side 2 or 3 nights plus leftovers.

Oldie, but goodie (not so much healthy)...Totino's $.99 pizza (they were bigger for same money in my youth) jacked up with onion, velveeta, diced tomato. Mom pulled that one on us a lot. Made us think we were getting a treat. ($45K and the only salary in the late 70's-ealry 80's wasn't broke poor, but it was added conveniences poor). If it weren't for the garden, we wouldn't have had many good meals. Mom easily put up 9 months worth of veggies. Pickle crocks all around the kitchen walls. Good times. I learned a few things.

Also the jarred chipped beef and gravy over dry toast. Sodium love fest. She could make anything taste good.

Her fried chicken in that white crisco and electric fry pan thingy are still legendary in the family. Till the day she died that was my nieces b-day dinner choice.

We'll have to try that one, hadn't heard of it but it doesn't sound bad

Also if you don't shop at Aldi, their Mac and cheese boxes are .45 cents. We stock up and use it as a side 2 or 3 nights plus leftovers.

Aldi is accross from Kroger and down the street from Food Lion, Walmart and Publix. It's always my first stop. I'm a multi-store shopper. By using Aldi, I can cut a $150-180 receipt everywhere else down to just over $100 by doing aldi first.

The M&C Tomato soup is just preapring both per directions then stirring the soup in.

My M&C thing is a good dose of black pepper. I had a college roomie from New Mexico. He would add M&C to a bowl of black pepper. I can't eat it joyfully without a good shake.

Buy 2 or 3 times as many Taco Bell burritos that I’m about to eat and give the microwave a work out the next day or three.

Hello Pepto. That spicy potato and cheese dollar burritto is good though. I just can't do the Bell often. I saw the exposed studs and stuff when they ripped off the stucco for building repairs. God only knows what was living in that place.

Hello Pepto. That spicy potato and cheese dollar burritto is good though. I just can't do the Bell often. I saw the exposed studs and stuff when they ripped off the stucco for building repairs. God only knows what was living in that place.

Just drink a lot of water while slamming down their burritos. I’m a vegetarian so I haven’t experienced but a fraction of their offerings.

Reactions: volkyries
Just drink a lot of water while slamming down their burritos. I’m a vegetarian so I haven’t experienced but a fraction of their offerings.

that would be unnecessary if you weren't a vegetable and ate their ground meat.

I make something I call chicken salsa crap, because it really doesn't have a name 🤣. Can of chicken meat, warm it for about a minute in the microwave. Pour in a jar of salsa, and a pack of shredded cheese, and about another minute in the microwave. Eat with nachos, preferably tostitos thin and crispy. Just something quick and fairly cheap, and we all like it

Reactions: n_huffhines
Hey! Thay was my conversation! Lol… crockpot.. cut up flat or flank steak (it’s cheap)..and season add cream of mushroom soup, can of water, and lipton soup packet on low all day.. serve over egg noodles.. tastes like beef stroganoff

Reactions: n_huffhines
Microwave burritos are cheap and filling with some bottled salsa.
I used to tear those and the $0.69 Kroger pizzas up while I was in school and residency. My wife gets some healthier micro burritos on occasion, but they are high dollar... like $2.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
two that may be unpopular

super cheap - ketchup sandwich. still a go to snack for me.

tuna fish and peanut butter sandwich - protein bomb. hate mayo so PB holds the tuna together.

flame away

VN Store

Back