Change in Florida's offense for '21 could be trouble for UT

HooahVol

I try to read what our adversaries are doing in their spring camps and ran across this writeup from Scarborough at ESPN:

With Kyle Trask, Kyle Pitts and Kadarius Toney all moving on, expect the Gators' offense to look much different next season. A pass-happy attack could swing the complete opposite direction, in fact, with the dual-threat Emory Jones stepping into the starting role at quarterback. Expect the zone-read to play a bigger role, which means more opportunities for the running backs. It's a potentially loaded backfield, especially with the addition of transfer Demarkcus Bowman, but the player with the most experience and breakout potential is Pierce, who rushed for 511 yards and four touchdowns last season.

While we will have some opportunity to cut our teeth with Bowling Green, Pitt and TTU it is going to be tough to face a run happy offense as our first SEC foe. Even if the D-line is decent it will be so tough to contain a duel threat QB and our linebackers are going to be tested. I am just not sure we have the bodies to contain a zone read with a loaded backfield.

We don’t beat Florida
If Too'too n Crouch come back (hopefully) and we get a couple of good Lb and DT/DE transfers to come in i would bet literally anything on it that says them young men on the HILL have a CHANCE to beat FLA...I'm not into judging the team hearts/characters right now or even when game time comes with the Gators...#CANDO

I’ll preface this by saying that I will not predict us to beat UF until we prove we can do it on a somewhat consistent basis.

However, if UF goes run happy on offense, I would think that is actually good news for UT. If we are able to drive the ball and score quickly on offense UF will have to change their play calling to be pass heavy. Forcing teams to deviate from their schemes is a good recipe for an upset.

Yep we should’ve won in 2006, 2012,2014 and 2015 and maybe 2017 as well

I’ll never forget that 2012 game. We were ranked for the first time in ages, and we had began our season with a routing of a hyped up NC State team with future NFL’ers David Amerson and Mike Glennon.

Meanwhile, Florida had barely beaten a Texas AM team that was considered a bottom dweller having to start a freshman QB.

Gameday was in Knoxville, the streak was undoubtedly going to come to an end that day. I paid good money for tickets just to watch it happen.

As fate would have it, that NC State team was awful. That freshman Texas AM QB Florida had struggled with was future Heisman winner Johnny Manziel, and Florida was a drastically better team than us.

Another year, another heartbreaking loss to Florida.

I try to read what our adversaries are doing in their spring camps and ran across this writeup from Scarborough at ESPN:

While we will have some opportunity to cut our teeth with Bowling Green, Pitt and TTU it is going to be tough to face a run happy offense as our first SEC foe. Even if the D-line is decent it will be so tough to contain a duel threat QB and our linebackers are going to be tested. I am just not sure we have the bodies to contain a zone read with a loaded backfield.
I don't think many if any expect UT to match up with UF at this point.

I just hope UT can score points and make a game of it rather than what we've seen the past few years. Do that... shore up depth and talent... and hopefully build a foundation for beating them.

The only "good news" I see is that UF's first 3 games are more difficult than UT's. FAU has been a good team the past couple of years. BGSU has been awful. USF isn't a good team but they're better than TTU. THEN... they get Bama the week before UT. No matter how that game goes... UF could be emotionally spent.

...until there is an actual "W" one year against UF, I'll continue to pencil in a "L" when UT attempts to play the Gators. The number of "almost wins" by UT and "impossible plays" by UF is beyond depressing.

VN Store

Back