Chaney and Retirement

If JG is your QB then your offensive game plan is pretty limited. There were several open WRs downfield and he would check down. A kid was running wide open in the end zone and JG checked down. The two TDS Jennings has both had to be wrestled away from the DB. This kid cannot see the field, idk what’s going through his head but he’s a liability.

Pruitt is probably done anyways but he’s done for sure if he doesn’t make a change at QB

Reactions: glhal2814
The thought was he came up here because he wanted to retire in these beautiful mountains. I didn’t realize the retirement was already happening. Nothing new and innovative and nothing to mask JG’s weaknesses. Totally the same offense he ran at uga, but with less talented players. I think uga folks were happy to let him walk. We didn’t steal him from them.
Agreed, would roll him out left and roll him out right for easy play action passes to move the ball, especially how well our running game was doing. If you aren't going to make a change at the position then try to help the guy out, it worked for Crompton.

The thought was he came up here because he wanted to retire in these beautiful mountains. I didn’t realize the retirement was already happening. Nothing new and innovative and nothing to mask JG’s weaknesses. Totally the same offense he ran at uga, but with less talented players. I think uga folks were happy to let him walk. We didn’t steal him from them.
I think UGA fans explicitly said that Chaney could walk and got flamed for trying to make excuses for his exit.

Jim Chaney is not the problem.

He called a great game. JG is just not developing as a QB. That’s not on anyone but JG.

Problem is that Tennessee has 2 freshman behind him that probably aren’t ready to play.
Well if we are going to make a change then we do it against Chattanooga so they don’t get thrown into Florida

Well if we are going to make a change then we do it against Chattanooga so they don’t get thrown into Florida

I don’t know if Pruitt makes the change. The reason JG stays in the game is how bad the D is at assignment football. They have missed assignments every other play. So the Problem Pruitt has is do you put in a freshman QB and then take those interceptions that would then amplify the defensive mistakes more?

It’s a tough decision for a coach. You know your QB can’t win you a game. However you know he won’t make many mistakes to loose it either. When you have the MASSIVE problems Tennessee has on defense right now you really can’t afford to have even one more interception per game.

Meh. I thought our run game was really good, and play calling good for the most part. O line showed improvement from last week, and definitely from last year. Offense wasn't terrible, except in the red zone. Recall that we passed on two FGs to go for it on fourth down.
This is the problem with going for it, you never know how many points you’re going to need. However, last night we should’ve went for the points. We obviously don’t have faith in our qb, and our kicker is on a hot streak.

Actually, he had to make run play calls all game cause JG couldn't hit the wide side of a barn.

Just a thought, but could it not be JC wants to bench JG and move with someone else but Pruitt is letting him? Isn’t this the same issue we had with Jones in regards to not letting his assistants do their job? I trust JC way more than Pruitt, so my assumption is something’s going on behind the scenes in regards to Pruitt holding the assistants back.

North Carolina has been in the dumps and are 2-0 with Mack Brown taking charge having beat South Carolina and Miami.
Impossible! North Carolina was 2-10 last year and is thin at many positions. Mack can't be expected to win games against teams with lesser, the same or greater talent until he has replaced Larry Fedora's loser players with his guys! Oh wait.

Not sure what Chaney should have done different either, other than the horrid end around call on 4th and 1. Off Tackle and Student Body Right consistently produced positive yardage. Guantanamo didn’t push the ball downfield, and after three years it’s clear he never will. If it’s not OT, the guy is content to check down to the easiest throw, open receiver be damned.

Georgia is doing fine without him. Chaney’s success was due to the talent level he coached, not his expertise as a coordinator. Same thing with Pruitt.

He called a great game. JG is just not developing as a QB. That’s not on anyone but JG.

Problem is that Tennessee has 2 freshman behind him that probably aren’t ready to play.

^^This!!

Reactions: vols1707
As easy and understandable as it is to just bash everyone involved I don't see it. Not tonight at least.

Minus some critical 4th downs we ran the ball effectively all night long, and had receivers running open all night long.

I don't know what else Chaney is supposed to do for us beyond that. Bust out a laser pointer and paint the guy running 10 yards behind the defense? Idk.

QB just wasn't seeing them. The run was effective but not automatic. At some point you have to bet on your three year QB to play okay enough to win and that didn't happen.

Georgia is doing fine without him. Chaney’s success was due to the talent level he coached, not his expertise as a coordinator. Same thing with Pruitt.

So what's new? Talent wins games. Would Saban or Dabo be winning like they are if they had our roster? Come on, man. Like the old saying goes...it's not x's and o's...it's the jimmies and joes.

So what's new? Talent wins games. Would Saban or Dabo be winning like they are if they had our roster? Come on, man. Like the old saying goes...it's not x's and o's...it's the jimmies and joes.
The obvious problem is ith your theory is the fact we have vastly more talent across the board than the last two teams that both beat us.

Give our freshmen a chance. The others are building our team and giving us chances. JG has his degree and he obviously has stopped learning. He is not only game in town. What else do we have to lose with a freshman. Look at Bo Nix and others. It is not Jeremy. Phil just cannot let it go. It is time for him to retire..he did what he was hired to do so go back to fishing and eating and let us have our school back

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The obvious problem is ith your theory is the fact we have vastly more talent across the board than the last two teams that both beat us.

Based on what? Recruiting services? They can't measure what's inside a kid. You think the got JG'S rating right? Most of our problems come from bad evaluations by the previous staff. Pruitt won't hit on em all but I think this staff will prove to be better at evaluations. Time will tell.

The freshmen have to be better than what I watched tonight. This performance was **** poor and highlighted JG as the weak link. Sucks when the guy who is supposed to be your leader is your weakest link.
The freshmen were the best players on the field all night long. Eric gray, Henry T, crouch, Morris, etc

Seems like every other football team in America can put freshman in that ball out year after year...except TN

Seems like every other football team in America can put freshman in that ball out year after year...except TN

That sometimes works when you put a freshman in with a veteran team. But when you put freshman in with several other freshman (like UT) it usually doesn't work out so well.

Reactions: maxorange

Lol you may be right but he was good enough to put enough points up and beat bama and Kirbys vaunted defense couldn't deliver. Bottom line he was good enough to get national title game but not better than what we had here for past 6 years. I mean seriously can not make this crap up...smh

VN Store

Back