CFP Scenarios (merged)

Yea but for the time being as in Tuesday it looks like they got 4 top teams and they are all undefeated. The Media does not control the CFP but the theme was that TCU got screwed with their ranking in CFP. So I expect them to have a top 4 ranking in CFP regardless of the truth you speak.

I felt the CFP committee justified their #7 ranking for TCU just fine on Tuesday..... They made no points to make people scratch their heads.... The Media is just having a meltdown because they don't have any actual pull.

The best the CFP did was have term limits for members to keep bias out of it.

Irony of timing. Oregon was boat raced by Georgia but it was opening game. Vols screwed the pooch by not competing against the Dawgs and being manhandled but that is a current image of futility even though the score was 14 point loss. Texas needs to pop TCU and west coast teams need to remain unimpressive for Vols to make playoffs. Vols might be in final top 4 due to schedule. Georgia is by far the number 1 team in NCAA Football.

11-1 Tennessee will be #3 as long as UGA goes 13-0.

You’re right. If ole miss beats Bama and goes to the SECC and beats UGA then they will make the playoffs as the second SEC team with UGA. But if we’re just gonna claim possibilities then technically we are still in contention for making Atlanta. That doesn’t mean it’s remotely likely though.

The way it sits right now if we win the next three games the likeliest scenario is us playing in the playoffs as the #3 or #4 team.

Ole Miss beating Bama and LSU dropping to Arkansas is highly more likely than UGA losing to 2 straight to Miss State and Kentucky..... C'mon man.

I guess you think LSU in 2007-2008 was an illegitimate title winner then with 2 losses

That's before the playoffs were put in place. I'm not going to make a comparison to that era. Kansas would have been in the playoffs that year. The SEC, PAC and ACC all had 2 loss champs that year. So it was really up to the polls and the SEC had a lot of highly ranked teams that year.

You’re right. If ole miss beats Bama and goes to the SECC and beats UGA then they will make the playoffs as the second SEC team with UGA. But if we’re just gonna claim possibilities then technically we are still in contention for making Atlanta. That doesn’t mean it’s remotely likely though.

The way it sits right now if we win the next three games the likeliest scenario is us playing in the playoffs as the #3 or #4 team.
Didn't LSU beat the snot out of Mississippi or did i miss something. If Mississippi beats AL and LSU wins out then LSU goes to the SECCG

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
If UT is indeed #4 on Tuesday night, we essentially control our own destiny. Win out impressively and there's no way we drop out of the CFP.
You mean like TCU that first year that was #2 with two weeks to go. Then slaughtered their last two opponents by 40 points each and fell out to #5 so Ohio State could get in (which ironically then won the thing). Then slaughtered Ole Miss 42-3 in their bowl game by the way. Again. It’s a TV show and ESPN will select the actors for the show with the highest Q rating.

You mean like TCU that first year that was #2 with two weeks to go. Then slaughtered their last two opponents by 40 points each and fell out to #5 so Ohio State could get in (which ironically then won the thing). Then slaughtered Ole Miss 42-3 in their bowl game by the way. Again. It’s a TV show and ESPN will select the actors for the show with the highest Q rating.

The problem with this TCU team is they are not slaughtering anyone. They need to finish the season (4 games) with blowout wins..... They can't continue to struggle to beat the likes of WVU and Texas Tech by 10 points.

Ole Miss beating Bama and LSU dropping to Arkansas is highly more likely than UGA losing to 2 straight to Miss State and Kentucky..... C'mon man.

But then Ole Miss has to also actually beat UGA in that scenario for it to affect the playoffs and UT, not just get there. How realistic is Ole Miss beating bama, LSU dropping a game at this point to either a team that just lost to Liberty or a three win A&M, thenOle Miss going to Atlanta and knocking off UGA?

The problem with this TCU team is they are not slaughtering anyone. They need to finish the season (4 games) with blowout wins..... They can't continue to struggle to beat the likes of WVU and Texas Tech by 10 points.
That wasn’t my point. My point was being in the top four and then winning out convincingly does not guarantee you will be in the top four at the end. See 2014 TCU for precedence.

Last edited:
Right LSU would have to drop Arkansas or A&M
Kelly is notorious for dropping games so I would not be surprised but it could be a moot point because I do not see Mississippi beating Alabama. That would mean that LSU would have to drop both games because they win the tiebreaker in a three way tie. I believe that LSU drops a game to Ark or Texas A&M but Alabama easily handles Ole Miss.

Baylor or Texas is going to hand TCU a loss. You cannot live on a thread as they have done. The Conference Championship game is another potential loss.

That wasn’t my point. My point was being in the top four and then winning out convincingly does guarantee you will be in the top four at the end. See 2014 TCU for precedence.

TCU also only played 12 games that year as the Big 12 didn't have a title game. OSU atleast had a 13th game vs #12 Wisconsin. OSU got bias for sure, but I remember now that year... The Big12 refused to crown one team the league champ and did a co champ and that kept the Big 12 out of the CFP......

Had Big 12 had a title game, they would have gotten one in.

Kelly is notorious for dropping games so I would not be surprised but it could be a moot point because I do not see Mississippi beating Alabama. That would mean that LSU would have to drop both games because they win the tiebreaker in a three way tie. I believe that LSU drops a game to Ark or Texas A&M but Alabama easily handles Ole Miss.

Yeah agreed I just don’t think Ole Miss is that good. And the only way it pushes us out of the playoffs is if they actually win the championship against UGA which is by itself the longest odds of all.

I felt the CFP committee justified their #7 ranking for TCU just fine on Tuesday..... They made no points to make people scratch their heads.... The Media is just having a meltdown because they don't have any actual pull.

The best the CFP did was have term limits for members to keep bias out of it.
Their justification was they get down early sometimes. That’s the stupidest justification I’ve ever heard. If they can get down 3 scores and come back that tells me the opposite of them not being a very good team.

Their justification was they get down early sometimes. That’s the stupidest justification I’ve ever heard. If they can get down 3 scores and come back that tells me the opposite of them not being a very good team.

You can't struggle to beat .500 teams like Texas Tech and WVU by 10 points and expect to surge up the rankings..... They would not be favored over anyone against them in the top 6. Clemson would arguably be the closest betting opponent to TCU.

You must be looking at last weeks poll.
Yeah i have a feeling Tennessee will win out and still be on the outside looking in. I would be satisfied with the Sugar Bowl however. Smashing Missouri,South Carolina and Vanderbilt wont help Tennessee very much.

It is the teams they struggle to beat. They can come back because of that. They get down 3 scores against UGA, OSU, Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama - it is a different story.

The Media does not run the CFP.... This is the exact reason the CFP was created and the members are constantly term limited out....

TCU being undefeated with two straight struggle wins over .500 teams by 10 points isn't helping their case. They aren't winning with style points. That is why the CFP put then at #7 and the media had a melt down becasue they couldn't understand.

TCU may move up from #7 but it is due to teams in front of them losing. They did nothing this weekend on their own to justify moving up to the 4 spot. And there is nothing to justify the #1 team dropping out of the top 4 after losing to #3.

This whole notion that TCU is undefeated and will shoot up the rankings because they beat the likes of Texas Tech and WVU in back to back weeks are hilarious.
Thank you...if anything TN and GA should swap
A weak strength of schedule TCU beating an unranked nobody by 10 shouldn't be enough to push a #1 team that didn't get blown out, out of the top 4

Thank you...if anything TN and GA should swap
A weak strength of schedule TCU beating an unranked nobody by 10 shouldn't be enough to push a #1 team that didn't get blown out, out of the top 4

I'm not crazy. I don't think the committee will excuse our loss as a simple 2 score margin. That game was a beat down. Thank goodness the rain started coming down or else it would have been very ugly. I think UGA held the ball for like 9 minutes in the 3rd quarter. We got our ass beat.

VN Store

Back