CFP Scenarios (merged)

I really believe we will first team out.

I am still finding it hard to wrap my head around that at this point in Heupel's tenure. From the outhouse to penthouse (for at least 1 week) in a year and a half. Simply wow!

How is an Sec champ going to have to have two loses. You think it will be LSU?
My personal belief is that Georgia will win the SECCG and it is a non issue. However the discussion is about LSU getting in with two losses. Yes it would only be 1 SEC loss out of their 2, but I have not seen anyone parse the losses that way.

My personal belief is that Georgia will win the SECCG and it is a non issue. However the discussion is about LSU getting in with two losses. Yes it would only be 1 SEC loss out of their 2, but I have not seen anyone parse the losses that way.
If Georgia wins then LSU will be a 3 loss team. If LSU wins there will be more than enough 1 loss teams that will be ahead of them.

TCU should jump to 5.
They won but the only won by 10 to a nobody TT. That's good for a 2 spot jump
TN was 1 and lost to #3 on the road and scoreboard wise it wasn't a blow out and low scoring game.
TN should be no worse than 4 when the new rankings come out. Top 4 should be GA,OH,MI,TN (in alpha order not ranking order🤣)

Several years back, Penn State won the B1G but Ohio State went to the playoffs and Penn State stayed home. I could see the same thing happening to LSU.

If a 2 loss team were to be put in the playoff over a 1 loss conference champion, they just need to stop calling it a "national championship".

We will be 4th or 5th.
LSU won't jump us because we beat them (unless they beat GA in the SEC championship game which isn't happening but if they keep it close it could get interesting in the final ranking)
TCU will get beat by Texas or Baylor soon
Ohio State or Michigan will lose when they play each other and we should stay above Michigan if we win out and they lose to OS

my guess things are going to end up
Georgia
Ohio State
TN 3rd or 4th (as long as we take care of business in the last 3 games - no mercy)

I guess some just skimmed the scores and didn't pay attention. TCU had trouble, Oregon won't jump us with the same record Ohio St looked bad too. Tenn drops no further than 4.

So you want us to look at the scores and believe the committee will give us more credit for a loss at UGA than a win for TCU? But then you state Oregon will not jump us because we have the same record, after a 39 point win? Now I don't think Oregon jumps us (yet) but you seem to be using selective information to fit your ideal scenario

Reactions: Shakinthefat
If a 2 loss team were to be put in the playoff over a 1 loss conference champion, they just need to stop calling it a "national championship".

I guess you think LSU in 2007-2008 was an illegitimate title winner then with 2 losses

Several years back, Penn State won the B1G but Ohio State went to the playoffs and Penn State stayed home. I could see the same thing happening to LSU.

That is irrelevant. The committee that opted to discard PSU is no longer around. The CFP is what the current voting members decide it is. This is why it was badly needed. There is no precedent or rules adhered to because the people making the rules are term limited. That is the beauty of the CFP

Reactions: wesley21
If they beat UGA for the SECCG I'd put them in. Conference championships should hold weight.

We will know if the CFP is seriously considering LSU with 2 losses based on where they jump to tomorrow after beating Bama.

I expect LSU to jump to 6 spot.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Three Pac12 teams have 1 loss and thus their SOS is such that we likely need all of those to pick up a 2nd or the 1-loss winner gets a spot. Oregon hosts Utah and at Beavers. USC/UCLA play each other and winner would likely play Oregon (if they beat Utah) in champ game. So ideally, and thanks to Florida, we want Utah to win out...which is possible. Another good scenario is USC to win the Pac12 but after losing to ND last game of regular season. This scenario would make Clemson look better, but thats not enough to save them. The ACC is done.

TCU visits Texas and Baylor. Then probaby has to beat them again at neutral site. TCU likely gets a spot if they win out.

LSU is at Arkansas, TAM and UGA. Vols at SC, Vandy and host Mizzou. LSU needs to win out. UGA needs to win the SEC. Period. And handily. Why so many of yall were happy Bama lost as pertains to our Playoff chances is beyond me? Our best win just went POOF and we know LSU can be sneaky in ATL.

Michigan and OSU will meet in the last game undefeated as #2 v 3. Winner obviously gets a spot. Is that 1- loss more impressive than only losing to UGA? We should hope not.

TCU had trouble, sure. We lost. They jump us
Right now there is no reason to put a 1 loss team in the Top 4.
The CFP poll this week will have 1-4 all undefeated teams GA, OSU, Michigan, TCU.
No other way.

TCU struggling is a joke, they are 9-0 and winning which is the eye test.
Michigan is 9-0 but has to play Ohio State.

This will work it's way out.

My thoughts are that Michigan and TCU both drop games.

We are in a good spot with 5 to 6 weeks to go. Just win out.

We will know if the CFP is seriously considering LSU with 2 losses based on where they jump to tomorrow after beating Bama.

I expect LSU to jump to 6 spot.
I do as well but it will not matter come December. They will drop another game I have the feeling. It is Kelly's inherent nature.

Edit: LSU drops a game to Arkansas or Texas A&M (Both Road Games), Ole Miss loses to Alabama. LSU still goes to SEC Championship as a three loss team. They beat GA they go to the Sugar Bowl and that is their ceiling with 3 losses

Last edited:
An absolute miracle. We won't remain in the top 7 after this loss. I bet we fall outside the top 10. We got dominated in every way you can imagine.
We played bad but that was not an absolute blowout. We definitely have a shot at the playoff. Clemson lost, I don’t trust TCU to win out, and Michigan/tOSU will play and remove 1 team. If TN takes care of business and wins out, then our 1 loss in GA’s backyard looks better than anyone else’s loss. I hope GA crushes everyone in their path now. I want a rematch.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
Michigan, Ohio State are going to be there despite they are in a weak ass conference, There are 5 teams in the SEC that these two can not beat.

VN Store

Back