CAUTION!!

Does our coaching staff have a cumulative coaching pedigree? Yes. In fact, heck yes. Than please VN, be very careful about calls for dismissal or impeachment of our staff for if they leave, who the hell would want to take the job? HS coach at Bearden would turn the offer down. Stand behind our staff, at least in this forum, at least for now. Yes, yesterday sucked like a big orange but, publicly torching our coaches is not going to do anything but further our issues in Ktown. If our staff is what we think/hope they are, they will rebound, so please, use CAUTION!!

The current high school coach we got isn’t getting it done. I bet the guy at Bearden would do it for less too.

Reactions: Titan05
Bailey may be here next year. Hope we don't start seeing decommitments. Fans need to stfu if they don't have anything good to say. A rational thinking person should know it's going to take time to get this right. We need a few more good classes more than anything else. Need to settle on a starting line-up and quit experimenting.

It’s not going to be the fans that cause de-commitments, it’ll be the horrendous play on the field that does that

Heyyyyyy a rational poster snuck in. Would ya look at that.
Rational? I’m not calling for heads to roll either but firings never “work themselves out.” Somebody in authority has to recognize when the situation is past the fail safe point and man up and pull the trigger. That somebody is supposed to be the AD. It takes leadership to fix a deep mess like this not a passive aggressive approach.

Let's remember our last few coaching searches didn't go well. This is what we could get and, on paper, the staff is elite. The product on the field is, at this point, nowhere near good. Did the coaches forget how to coach? Did we look past GA ST completely? No and Yes I believe. Too soon to start talking about another coach but I have little interest watching this team until they find what was really missing yesterday..... Heart.

Reactions: feathersax
Does our coaching staff have a cumulative coaching pedigree? Yes. In fact, heck yes. Than please VN, be very careful about calls for dismissal or impeachment of our staff for if they leave, who the hell would want to take the job? HS coach at Bearden would turn the offer down. Stand behind our staff, at least in this forum, at least for now. Yes, yesterday sucked like a big orange but, publicly torching our coaches is not going to do anything but further our issues in Ktown. If our staff is what we think/hope they are, they will rebound, so please, use CAUTION!!
No

Other SEC programs (and even National programs) fire coaches for less. Auburn fired a coach that won a National Title just two years before they canned him yet they found better. I think this is a lame argument. In fact, Tennessee's problem is that we give coaches too much time and don't change quick enough. The only coach that I was happy with giving a chance was Butch Jones because he at least showed progress each year. He got derailed the second half of his 4th season and the 5th season.

Pruitt likely needs to go after this year. Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, etc. would not put up with losses to Georgia State. Even Vandy would have their coach on the hot seat if they lost a game like we did yesterday.
The problem is we don’t set and enforce national championship standards of excellence in our coaches, players, and their performance. We seem to hire diverse unproven guys and then give them free reign all over the place to do it their way not our way. Lack of leadership at the top. Until that changes and we start to enforce zero tolerance standards of excellence we’ll continue our painful spiral to the bottom.

Real question, how exactly could it get worse?

Bailey may be here next year. Hope we don't start seeing decommitments. Fans need to stfu if they don't have anything good to say. A rational thinking person should know it's going to take time to get this right. We need a few more good classes more than anything else. Need to settle on a starting line-up and quit experimenting.
We need to STFU? That’s an awesome recipe for creating positive change. Schiano would be here if fans didn’t speak the ***k up.

I don't think anything will happen this year and as someone posted, he'll get his 3-4 years.

But, what he lost yesterday is anyone thinking he's going to get it done.

If yesterday was any indication, then guys he's recruiting are going to get meaningful playing time next year....which means they are losing next year too.

At best, this is a 4-5 year rebuild to relevance as opposed to a 4-5 year rebuild into a champion.

I asked last year if this was going to be a Doug Dickey rebuilding job or a Johnny Majors rebuilding job. It appears like it's a Johnny Majors rebuild and no one has the patience for that anymore

But you do realize that every year for the past 12 years we as fans have heard about all of the youth and inexperience on the team, how that we need to get depth and rebuild. It has been a decade of the same story over and over. How can teams like Celmson, Bama, Georgia, Florida, and you can make probably a dozen more, plug freshmen into a lineup and they play like they are Jr and Seniors? It's called coaching. I have never before watched a game where the game plan was "play everyone and see what we have to work with." Put the best 5 linemen from practice in, let them build continuity, and then when the game is in hand you sub in other players to get them game experience. Same goes all across the board. 2 sacks yesterday was the result of not playing our best players at the right positions, one on the line, the other in the backfield. The team wasn't ready, and the coaching was terrible.

This coaching staff just lost to Ga. State!!!! They deserve to be criticized! Heavily!
Also, they have lost 3 games in a row. The blowout losses to Missouri and Vandy. Now this piece of........In all three, the team looked uninterested, out of shape, and they quit. Weak!!! What the eff is going on???!!! Is there a problem, internally, with the staff, or administration. We've got good talent. No more talent excuses.

Last edited:
Lane Kiffin was considered one of the hottest coaching prospects at the time. He was the OC of the famed USC run and he had been an NFL head coach. The following hires were due to the administration focusing more on selling tickets, winning recruiting battles, and finding a discount hire.

Think about this, since Fulmer was fired UT has hired 4 head coaches. None of them had any P5 head coaching experience. That should tell you everything about why our program is where it is
I guess you don't realize you're making my point?

There are coaches everywhere who will want the job.

There are only so many opportunities at places like Tennessee.
I mean in my honest opinion if we can find the "right coach" they can fix this program in 3 years with steady improvement each year. Pruitt has declined already this year. There was no viable excuse for yesterday's debacle. I didn't see any shred of evidence that we have any leadership on the field at all and I sure as hell didn't see it with this staff. I can't even enjoy watching the games with me and the old man together anymore. We're both die-hard fans and to much apathy has set in. Truly sad how far this program has fallen and it's even worse when our biggest rivals seem to figure out how to hire coach.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
#emptyneyland

I think most are just tired of football. Don't need a coach if we don't have a program.

This coaching staff just lost to Ga. State!!!! They deserve to be criticized! Heavily!
Also, they have lost 3 games in a row. The blowout losses to Missouri and Vandy. Now this piece of........In all three, the team looked uninterested, out of shape, and they quit. Weak!!! What the eff is going on???!!! Is there a problem, internally, with the staff, or administration. We've got good talent. No more talent excuses.

I am 100% all in for being upset and criticizing the coaching staff and players for that matter but, threads that want to begin impeachment hearings is a bit premature - would you not agree?? This was the first game this crew was together and they simply blew it big time. I don't know if anyone else wants the coaches to do better next week, but I sure as hell do. If by the end of the year comes around and we still can't beat the likes of Vandy and the Cats, then yes, let's have a big bonfire.

Maybe just maybe it would be a staff that would not lose to freakin Georgia State.

Yeah, like having a meeting with a "bad apple" and saying "get with the program, or get out"...

I am not an impatient guy. I have taught students with special needs, downs syndrome and autism. I have been on a team for over 30 years. Yes, I still play team sports at almost 40.

Johnny Majors was the first coach that I remember. I can't remember or been a part of a more unmotivated group of INDIVIDUALS(From H.C. down) than I witnessed Saturday evening. Heck, my dog shows more fight when she wants a ball under the couch.

This is not about losing to Ga. State. This is about the Tennessee team taking pride in what they do and who they are.

My patience is about to run out. I used to brag about how the Vols represented my family and fellow Tennesseans. Their hard work and grit on the field was obvious. Now, I am just about embarrassed to wear anything with a "T"

No coach in their right mind will want to come here knowing that, once they lose their first game, the fans will be ready to #boycottNeyland and will be calling for their job. Money does indeed talk, but it would take a lot to deal with these fans.

No coach in their right mind will want to come here knowing that, once they lose their first game, the fans will be ready to #boycottNeyland and will be calling for their job. Money does indeed talk, but it would take a lot to deal with these fans.

I don't want a coach that is scared to be held accountable for lack of effort. I call b.s. on no one wants to come here if fans are realistic. Being a fired Tennessee coach is better than winning the lottery. I am sure bj has no problems feeding his retail therapy habit.

Why not just call it like it is? I don't care about his pedigree, he earned it by plugging in one 5star for another while serving under stellar head coaches. The coaches and the players deserve honesty, and they honestly suck.

We need to STFU? That’s an awesome recipe for creating positive change. Schiano would be here if fans didn’t speak the ***k up.
*** Schiano.. don’t won’t no part in that dude and I’m proud how the fans stood up to that.. try again broski..

Reactions: JacketVol

It is not just one loss. It is a comprehensive, program-defining defeat against a sub-standard opponent, an opponent this coaching staff had several months to prepare a game plan against.

The product on the field was a condemnation of our head coach and his staff, a continuation of the poor coaching and poor play witnessed late last year.

If fans protest, then they are protesting the failure to make progress that is indicative behind the entire concept of rebuilding.

A loss against a Bama, a Florida, or even a Mississippi State you might be able to excuse.

But there is no excuse for the failure in preparation and conditioning we all saw this past weekend. None at all.

Reactions: Alto1

VN Store

Back