CAUTION!!

When we had 5 East rings, 2 SEC rings, and a MNC in the previous decade we were able to hire Lane Kiffin. In the following years we’ve been able to hire Dooley, Butch, and J’ermy. Oh, and almost hired the least-liked HC in recent years, Greg Schiano.

Lane Kiffin was considered one of the hottest coaching prospects at the time. He was the OC of the famed USC run and he had been an NFL head coach. The following hires were due to the administration focusing more on selling tickets, winning recruiting battles, and finding a discount hire.

Think about this, since Fulmer was fired UT has hired 4 head coaches. None of them had any P5 head coaching experience. That should tell you everything about why our program is where it is

It may be easier to turn the flow of the Mississippi river north than to turn the mind set of these players around. I don't think anyone can turn them around. The minute things don't got to suit them, the lay down and quit. Face it, the few "winners" we have on this squad just can't overcome the, I don't know what to call them. The problem is like the "bad apple in the bushel basket" it ruins the whole basket if you don't throw it out. To do this with this squad, you almost need to throw them all out and start over. Can't do this. So we must hope as they leave by what ever method, we can replace them with "winners" (in mind set) and hope they have not tainted to guys left.
Somebody in the locker room needs to become a leader, take it upon themselves to deal with bad apples and promote hustle on the field. Snowflakes need not apply...

There is absolutely no reason that TN should ever be a training ground for head coaches. Just don't think Pruitt has a grasp of how to be a head coach. Just because you know one area of football doesn't mean it translates to being able to run an entire team. One thing I just don't see in this team is fire or inspiration.

Let this sink in...

In the past decade, Ms State (football budget is less than half of ours) has spent more in football HC salaries than us.

This is just annual salaries and doesnt include buyouts

That’s BECAUSE OF the buyouts

Does our coaching staff have a cumulative coaching pedigree? Yes. In fact, heck yes. Than please VN, be very careful about calls for dismissal or impeachment of our staff for if they leave, who the hell would want to take the job? HS coach at Bearden would turn the offer down. Stand behind our staff, at least in this forum, at least for now. Yes, yesterday sucked like a big orange but, publicly torching our coaches is not going to do anything but further our issues in Ktown. If our staff is what we think/hope they are, they will rebound, so please, use CAUTION!!
Ridiculous

Reactions: 08Vol
We all know what's going to happen next if this season turns into a disaster and there's internal pressure to fire Pruitt. I've seen this movie before.
Not with Phil at the helm. No more of those re-runs padner. Worst thing that could ever happen.

Well, now having said that, it's not going to be a fan's dream list of candidates.

But, Dabo Swinney, Jimmy Johnson, and a host of others were not a fan base's dream list of candidates either.

Lane I thought was a reach. Dooley, I laughed. Butch, I laughed.

Pruitt, I didn't know what to think. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't

I understand that. I know we had Leach lined up last time, but would he consider us again after all of that circus? Not sure, but doubtful. I think we could go get Les Miles tomorrow. Norvell at Memphis looks the part.

We could get a solid coach, but I understand your caution.

Other SEC programs (and even National programs) fire coaches for less. Auburn fired a coach that won a National Title just two years before they canned him yet they found better. I think this is a lame argument. In fact, Tennessee's problem is that we give coaches too much time and don't change quick enough. The only coach that I was happy with giving a chance was Butch Jones because he at least showed progress each year. He got derailed the second half of his 4th season and the 5th season.

Pruitt likely needs to go after this year. Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, etc. would not put up with losses to Georgia State. Even Vandy would have their coach on the hot seat if they lost a game like we did yesterday.

There is absolutely no reason that TN should ever be a training ground for head coaches. Just don't think Pruitt has a grasp of how to be a head coach. Just because you know one area of football doesn't mean it translates to being able to run an entire team. One thing I just don't see in this team is fire or inspiration.
What area would that be? Defense????? Yeah that was great yesterday?????

We all know what's going to happen next if this season turns into a disaster and there's internal pressure to fire Pruitt. I've seen this movie before.

Too late, this season already is a disaster! A loss to a 2-10 Sunbelt team is irredeemable.

Does our coaching staff have a cumulative coaching pedigree? Yes. In fact, heck yes. Than please VN, be very careful about calls for dismissal or impeachment of our staff for if they leave, who the hell would want to take the job? HS coach at Bearden would turn the offer down. Stand behind our staff, at least in this forum, at least for now. Yes, yesterday sucked like a big orange but, publicly torching our coaches is not going to do anything but further our issues in Ktown. If our staff is what we think/hope they are, they will rebound, so please, use CAUTION!!

I will take the job. A fired SEC is better than winning the lottery, plus I could run through the T.

It may be easier to turn the flow of the Mississippi river north than to turn the mind set of these players around. I don't think anyone can turn them around. The minute things don't got to suit them, the lay down and quit. Face it, the few "winners" we have on this squad just can't overcome the, I don't know what to call them. The problem is like the "bad apple in the bushel basket" it ruins the whole basket if you don't throw it out. To do this with this squad, you almost need to throw them all out and start over. Can't do this. So we must hope as they leave by what ever method, we can replace them with "winners" (in mind set) and hope they have not tainted to guys left.

Coaches have to take some responsibility.

Reactions: savannahfan
Somebody in the locker room needs to become a leader, take it upon themselves to deal with bad apples and promote hustle on the field. Snowflakes need not apply...
Bailey may be here next year. Hope we don't start seeing decommitments. Fans need to stfu if they don't have anything good to say. A rational thinking person should know it's going to take time to get this right. We need a few more good classes more than anything else. Need to settle on a starting line-up and quit experimenting.

No, if they don't understand the need to prepare a football team to play then each and everyone deserves both barrels. If they can't prepare the team then finds someone who can, I don't care if they're coaching FCS or high school.

Last edited:
Coaches have to take some responsibility.
As do the players!!!! Yes the coaching sucked but most of the players on the field, with the exception of a few, sucked also. Players were taught in Pop Warner how to tackle and how to line up for plays. You just don’t forget how to do those things when you get to Tennessee. Coaches and players need to step up big time!!!!

You dont seem to understand that when you are paid millions of dollars to coach a high level program like Tennessee, then there is no CAUTION as you put it.

Heck, I'd hope someone jump my ass too if I coached our team as piss poorly as we did. I'd deserve it!
Please, dont think for a second we should shield these guys and hope our fans dont "scare off" the staff for such a historic loss!

Taking a bet now....if we somehow go 0-4 after the gators game.....Pruitt will get his walking papers. Watch.

Reactions: JacketVol
Way to early to be unloading the staff. Yes, they got outcoached and the players got outplayed but it's way to early for that crap. I do think our other Qb's deserve a shot, that don't mean JG is out of it. But it means if he can't play better himself he doesn't get a exemption either. He has got to be better when things break down, his reaction time was way to slow most of the day yesterday. His doesn't feel pressure well and he had zero touch on simple short throws. He just throws it hard and low as all get out. Wherever out team and staff heads was yesterday it wasn't on the field that dadgum sure. But I will be supporting and cheering them on next week. But it is high time for the staff and players get serious. GBO!!!

Other SEC programs (and even National programs) fire coaches for less. Auburn fired a coach that won a National Title just two years before they canned him yet they found better. I think this is a lame argument. In fact, Tennessee's problem is that we give coaches too much time and don't change quick enough. The only coach that I was happy with giving a chance was Butch Jones because he at least showed progress each year. He got derailed the second half of his 4th season and the 5th season.

Pruitt likely needs to go after this year. Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, etc. would not put up with losses to Georgia State. Even Vandy would have their coach on the hot seat if they lost a game like we did yesterday.
LSU lost to Troy. Just saying

No they wouldn't, only an idiot would turn down millions of dollars to coach a high profile team. The problem is we aren't willing to overpay to get it done and at this point we are going to have to overpay. Instead, we are overpaying terrible coaches after we have fired them.

This is true. Most programs have dreams of being champions. The UT admin dreams of mediocrity and budgets accordingly, not realizing it is really costing them more money.

UT really does not have a geographical recruiting base which requires the school to hire big names and work off audacious goals to promote the opportunity to be a championship program. Right now a majority of recruits are thinking, Why would you consider UT?

Reactions: sport3500

VN Store

Back