Carpenter bees

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
My gosh those things are worse than mosquitoes!!

Anybody dealt effectively with them? We have them at our deck and on our front porch. Everything I can find on the net is selling something. I'm willing to buy, but I want to know what works.

Thanks.

Reactions: the_great_pumpkin
Yeah, but that just gets the male (not that that isn't fun) and does nothing for the females or the eggs.

Get bee butter and stick that in the holes. They will exit. If you trap them in you'd better hope there are no woodpeckers in the area.

Bee butter...what the heck is that?

Husband already bought a bb gun cause of woodpeckers last year. Sure don't want them back.

My gosh those things are worse than mosquitoes!!

Anybody dealt effectively with them? We have them at our deck and on our front porch. Everything I can find on the net is selling something. I'm willing to buy, but I want to know what works.

Thanks.

I take it raid didn't work? When i used in it in the past, it would knock a bee or wasp down in flight

I take it raid didn't work? When i used in it in the past, it would knock a bee or wasp down in flight

Yeah, but there's more than we can catch. We get home from work with little piles of sawdust on the porch under the railing.

you can put anything in their holes and it will work. I've used spackle and plumbers putty. Both did the job by hardening in the whole trapping them.

Spray to get em out. Fill the hole with steel wool and then spackle over the top. Otherwise when the new ones hatch, they'll bore their way out.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Spray to get em out. Fill the hole with steel wool and then spackle over the top. Otherwise when the new ones hatch, they'll bore their way out.

From my days as a pest inspector this method works. After you fill the holes, give your deck a good coat of sealant. Carpenter bees like dry, bare wood, so sealing it will deter them.

Termites and powder post beetles like wet wood so watch out for them around the support posts where they meet the ground.

You guys aren't getting it. If you trap the bugs in the wood, woodpeckers will dig them out causing additional damage

You guys aren't getting it. If you trap the bugs in the wood, woodpeckers will dig them out causing additional damage

woodpeckers are one of the most interesting birds around, but I've never seen one around anyone's house. They aren't that common in my experience.

VN Store

Back