Carpenter bees

I got a zapper shaped like a racket. The zapper didn't work, but swinging the racket is satisfying. Should have enjoyed it more before I put the trap out. :lol:

I’ve had one of those zapper racquets. Mine worked pretty well. I actually caught 2 of them on fire by accident. It was like those early electric chairs that went very wrong, but you put holes in a brand new gazebo/fire pit room you get to ride the lightning.

This will eliminate 95 % https://www.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVA...G1Xrzi-kkbJe9QWtAi1WuiUR3O6r17ZwaAlEKEALw_wcB

Double up on the mixture, apply with a garden sprayer in March. I've used it for the last three seasons with good success. The key is March before they hatch out

This will trap the others. Simple design you can build yourself.
1452645586320.jpeg

We have them as well. My plan has been to build the wood traps using pine which they seem to like and water bottles (about $2 for supplies and 30 mins to build, maybe less cost since i just used scrap lumber), tennis racket for orbiting males, foaming bug spray for the females/holes, then fill the holes and paint. On our balcony, you can hear the things chewing into the wood.

Gotta get rid of a woodpecker as well now. Previous owners let these things get out of control.

Go to Co-Op and get a bottle of Premethrin concentrate. Mix up a batch in a gallon or 2 gallon hand pressure sprayer. Spray all your wood down on a mist/spray setting.

I do this every year on my cedar pergola. It keeps all flying insects away for months. I usually treat 2-3 times a year. This will save you from the hassle of trying to catch and kill. After you spray they leave. The stuff is awesome.

Freak needs to start a VolNation version of Wikipedia......much useful knowledge to be had!

Reactions: SmokinBob
SIAP. Worked in pest control in a former life and all that is needed is a bulb duster and delta dust. Just fill each and never have to reapply. Sealing holes inspires them to bore another.

SIAP. Worked in pest control in a former life and all that is needed is a bulb duster and delta dust. Just fill each and never have to reapply. Sealing holes inspires them to bore another.
Talk to me like I'm a 5 year old.

Edit: I gotcha. Thanks google. 😁

Is this done in March too?

Ive had one of those zapper racquets. Mine worked pretty well. I actually caught 2 of them on fire by accident. It was like those early electric chairs that went very wrong, but you put holes in a brand new gazebo/fire pit room you get to ride the lightning.

I just use a regulation tennis racquet. Very satisfying way to eliminate the hive, if you have the time. Birds pick up the carcasses. No pollutants!

Speaking of, I'm considering a new laptop. Anyone with advice?
You should start a thread KD. I'm in the market also. I've bought a surface pro that I've been testing out but may consider moving to a more more traditional windows laptop.

Talk to me like I'm a 5 year old.

Edit: I gotcha. Thanks google. 😁

Is this done in March too?

Pre-treatment works for me. Each of the last couple of years I've seen fewer buzzing around my fence and hardly any new holes, so somethings working. In my opinion they will learn where the soft targets are and resist difficult areas.
Additionally I offer them a nice snack of soft wood in the form of a wooden bee trap. I hang those up after I spray the fence.
Lastly, March is when spring begins. Flowers bloom, trees bud, insects emerge. :cool:

Reactions: vollygirl
You should start a thread KD. I'm in the market also. I've bought a surface pro that I've been testing out but may consider moving to a more more traditional windows laptop.
I actually found some really useful information on the site and have already settled on a Toshiba.

Pre-treatment works for me. Each of the last couple of years I've seen fewer buzzing around my fence and hardly any new holes, so somethings working. In my opinion they will learn where the soft targets are and resist difficult areas.
Additionally I offer them a nice snack of soft wood in the form of a wooden bee trap. I hang those up after I spray the fence.
Lastly, March is when spring begins. Flowers bloom, trees bud, insects emerge. :cool:
Spray with what...Termidor?

Once the infestation is dealt with and your wood is bee-free, almond oil seems an effective repellent.

I would not mind material specs, dimensions/instructions for a trap.

VN Store

Back