Canales coming for second interview

Possible offensive staff for 2017:
Larry Scott-OC/TE
Mike Canales-QB/Passing Game Coordinator
Walt Wells-OL/Run Game Coordinator
Robert Gillespie-RB/Recruiting Coordinator
T.J. Weist-WR/ST

Could see Weist replacing Azzanni. Coached for Butch at Cincinnati.

Possible offensive staff for 2017:
Larry Scott-OC/TE
Mike Canales-QB/Passing Game Coordinator
Walt Wells-OL/Run Game Coordinator
Robert Gillespie-RB/Recruiting Coordinator
T.J. Weist-WR/ST

Could see Weist replacing Azzanni. Coached for Butch at Cincinnati.

Seems like Weist also got left behind when Jones got hired at UT. That could've complicated things there.

We need a big time, bad azz OC and we need to get out of the thrift shop business. We don't need anything or anyone from North Texas. UT is a top tier power 5 program and needs to start acting like it starting with the coaching staff.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe, if it's gonna be Canales, that he may eventually move into the OC position here. If Scott is gonna get the OC job, he may only stay a few years before he moves into a head coach position somewhere---maybe even here. Canales could then just move up to the OC position. It all makes perfect sense now :) :)

I believe, if it's gonna be Canales, that he may eventually move into the OC position here. If Scott is gonna get the OC job, he may only stay a few years before he moves into a head coach position somewhere---maybe even here. Canales could then just move up to the OC position. It all makes perfect sense now :) :)

Only problem is I don't see Venables retaining Canales's services when he takes over in Nov.

You are assuming that they make it past the end of next November......I have a strong suspicion that they will all be looking for a job if this team goes 6-6 (which is highly probable). What big named OC would want to come to UT if there is a 50:50 chance that CBJ does not make it past next season?

Yeah, it does make sense under Jones which is quite unfortunate given Canales' performance at North Texas.

His high water mark for total offense there was 60th and slipped below 100th 3 other times.

If he couldn't run an offense in the Sun Belt, I have no faith whatsoever he could run an offense in the SEC.

Anything beyond QB coach is a stretch for him IMO. And even at that, he looks about like the 4th best candidate that has been named.

CBJ stated he isn't looking to change the offense. Most on here are upset that this means promoting Scott to OC. All I'm saying is the quicker people realize that we'll be running the same (2nd best in SEC) offense the quicker they'll get over this splash hire dream. Butch is going to live and die by his offensive system and the system really isn't the issue.

Spot on. The reasons you listed are why Jones hired Debord and why he's gonna promote Scott to OC and why he's gonna hire Canales. The offense is far from perfect but it has been successful the last two years....and it's not why we failed, it's been our defense.

As you said, fans need to make peace with what we have because it's not changing while Jones is our coach.

CBJ stated he isn't looking to change the offense. Most on here are upset that this means promoting Scott to OC. All I'm saying is the quicker people realize that we'll be running the same (2nd best in SEC) offense the quicker they'll get over this splash hire dream. Butch is going to live and die by his offensive system and the system really isn't the issue.

Once you see that we ran up the score on Kentucky and Tennessee tech, only scored 20 on South Carolina that 2nd best in the SEC is not so shiny. It's butch's neck. If it doesn't work, I look forward to his replacement. 8 - 4 with everything stacked in your favor this year tells me he is can't get it done.

GBO

Reactions: 4 people
Once you see that we ran up the score on Kentucky and Tennessee tech, only scored 20 on South Carolina that 2nd best in the SEC is not so shiny. It's butch's neck. If it doesn't work, I look forward to his replacement. 8 - 4 with everything stacked in your favor this year tells me he is can't get it done.

GBO

8-4 may not be bad enough to get him fired or be a true indicator that he can't get it done.

Reactions: 1 person
You have to think 10-2 would silence all but the most unreasonable critics because it would show another year of progress in the wins column after back to back 9 win seasons.

You have to think 10-2 would silence all but the most unreasonable critics because it would show another year of progress in the wins column after back to back 9 win seasons.

10-2 is a little far fetched considering we are replacing our top 3 offensive players and top 3 defensive players. 7-5 he is still the coach in 2018.

...for QB coach position.

Brice

Please tell me he just left his cap or something...

Like many of you guys, I'm still all in with Larry Scott at OC. I mean this team needs continuity on offense bc we're gonna be a completely new team. Heck, I'll even take Azzani. He would be my #2 guy. Maybe this is a sign but I won't believe it until it happens.

After the Warren hire coming completely out of left field, it almost makes you wonder if we end up with someone other than any of the candidates mentioned for the Co-OC/QB coach job.

Please tell me he just left his cap or something...

Like many of you guys, I'm still all in with Larry Scott at OC. I mean this team needs continuity on offense bc we're gonna be a completely new team. Heck, I'll even take Azzani. He would be my #2 guy. Maybe this is a sign but I won't believe it until it happens.

Butch?

Reactions: 2 people
People in rf posting this is now done based on some other site. This guy may be okay but they sure picked the wrong time to underwhelming us if true.

8-4 may not be bad enough to get him fired or be a true indicator that he can't get it done.

Are people seriously expecting more than 8-4...I'll already tell you it ain't going to happen and to build your expectations up for better is preparing for disappointment lol...we are losing some serious talent.

Are people seriously expecting more than 8-4...I'll already tell you it ain't going to happen and to build your expectations up for better is preparing for disappointment lol...we are losing some serious talent.

We had serious talent sitting on the bench all season long. Hopefully that serious talent gets healthy and stays that way so the serious talent can be on the field in 2017.

"In the end, comfort and familiarity count.

Tennessee will imminently name Mike Canales its new quarterbacks coach, sources told multiple members of 247Sports including Ryan Callahan, filling the final truly open position on its coaching staff --- though more changes are expected as both Don Mahoney, offensive line, and Steve Stripling, defensive line, are under contracts that expire at the end of next month.

Canales is the only of Tennessee’s myriad candidates to be quarterbacks coach who received two in-person, on-campus interviews, being on Rocky Top as recently as Monday."

I do not trust 247's "sources." They also said Fulmer was "all but done." I'll wait until it's announced. I wish I was in a profession where I could always be wrong and still have a job.

VN Store

Back