Canales coming for second interview

Now we're going to HC's. Just let us know when you're switching up. :)

Where did say "position coach"?
I said coaching vacancies.
It's not a matter of me switching up. It's a matter of either you're not keeping up or simply trying to turn my post into something different than what I actually posted.
You do realize that head coach is a position, right?

Reactions: 3 people
"Better" is believable. "Option" is where I'm not as certain. The entire AD seems to be in a weird limbo right now, not great for negotiating contracts. Wish the top was in place before coach hiring season.

This AD issue has a fog over the entire program it seems. Absolutely ridiculous they couldn't have settled the issue long ago.

No real clear answer on whether Jones has final say over the hires or not.

I am in the camp where I don't think Jones has any intention of turning the offensive brain trust over to someone else though. It's been his baby since he has been a head coach and his comments about "enhancing" the offense tends to cement that for me.

So the options may be limited based on Hart not being able to let go of the purse strings and they may be limited based on what Jones is willing to give up in terms of control.

Probably some truth in both.

The Tennessee Steps To Filling A Coaching Position

1. Announce vacant position.
2. Determine the top most qualified people for the position.
3. Leak rumors of reaching out to these people.
4. Claim to be taking time to look for right "fit".
5. During this time top candidates get hired by other programs.
6. Hire candidate that is unproven at this level.
7. Sell the new hire as the hottest up and coming thing in football.
8. If no one buys the #7 argument, use the "Who would you have hired? No one else was available." argument instead.

This is weak sauce

Reactions: 5 people

8. If no one buys the #7 argument, use the "Who would you have hired? No one else was available." argument instead.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was this process followed with the Shoop and Scott hires last year?

It's amazing how quick we forget and only look at the worst.

Some of y'all continue to amaze me.

Reactions: 4 people
It is not the whole issue but it is an issue. Not having an AD yet is a huge blunder.

Agree. No AD and a coach going into next year on the hotseat. Not a great environment right now to be hiring outstanding assistant coaches. Blackburn should've been hired last month. At least that would've solved 1/2 of the issues/concerns of instability for prospective hires imo.

Where did say "position coach"?
I said coaching vacancies.
It's not a matter of me switching up. It's a matter of either you're not keeping up or simply trying to turn my post into something different than what I actually posted.
You do realize that head coach is a position, right?

We were talking about CURRENT vacancies. Butch gets fired and we can complain about how we're messing THAT search up. This one wasn't going the way you intended...so I understand you switching streams. :huggy:

Keep reading...

My bad the other dialogue must have been going on while I was posting. But let's be hypothetical for a second. Lets say we didn't follow your blue print, went for the "big time" hire, got Charlie Strong and we had the same success over the past couple years as Texas has had + Strong being fired what is our strategy then? Go after another big name like we had previously done with Strong and Kiffin with no success or be picky and go for what could be a decent hire without the strong optics?

Thinking about it I do believe that taking time, going through a thorough process and making a "good fit" hire is ultimately what has been successful here at UT.

In hindsight lets say we were in 1992 would VN be happy with the Fulmer hire? TBH I think most on here would be moaning and groaning about the administration and their ineptness to not go after a big name.

This AD issue has a fog over the entire program it seems. Absolutely ridiculous they couldn't have settled the issue long ago.

No real clear answer on whether Jones has final say over the hires or not.

I am in the camp where I don't think Jones has any intention of turning the offensive brain trust over to someone else though. It's been his baby since he has been a head coach and his comments about "enhancing" the offense tends to cement that for me.

So the options may be limited based on Hart not being able to let go of the purse strings and they may be limited based on what Jones is willing to give up in terms of control.

Probably some truth in both.

Waiting and doing due diligence on the AD search is what is needed, not a knee jerk reaction just so we can hire an assistant football coach. Blackburn may be best man for job, however if the folks in charge feel like they want to be 100 % sure they have the right person hired to lead all athletics at UT for the next 15 - 20 years then so be it.
Who knows maybe the new AD will be willing to fill up the money truck and park it in front Gruden's house.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah I'm not buying the whole AD thing being a big obstacle. CBJ is just set in his ways. If a high quality OC wanted to come to UT and it would take the program in the right direction UT would find a way to make it happen

So if you want to support a family, buy a house and advance your career you apply at K-Mart and Sear's for a job? Yeah right, real smart move.

So if you want to support a family, buy a house and advance your career you apply at K-Mart and Sear's for a job? Yeah right, real smart move.

I agree with your general concept. If my services are desired at several different businesses, I'm not leaning towards the the one without a head manager in place., No idea if the incoming CO wants me there, or if they will even support my immediate manager.
That's just "not how any of this works".

I get the spite for Butch by many here but sometimes people just throw out common sense in their witch-hunt. Hate Jones because of losses, whatever. But expecting the best to come and sign on with absolutely no guarantee of support, seems like asking a bit much.

This is exactly what has me enfuriated right now. Shoop was the only one who didn't take this long. I really don't get it. Bottom line is Canales is a sub par hire, as us Scott at OC. It's unfortunate that CBJ can't or won't do everything to make another home run hire.

Waiting and doing due diligence on the AD search is what is needed, not a knee jerk reaction just so we can hire an assistant football coach. Blackburn may be best man for job, however if the folks in charge feel like they want to be 100 % sure they have the right person hired to lead all athletics at UT for the next 15 - 20 years then so be it.
Who knows maybe the new AD will be willing to fill up the money truck and park it in front Gruden's house.

I am not a Blackburn or bust guy. If the powers that be think Byrne, Barnhart, or the guy at Oregon are better, then I'm good. It's the timing that I have an issue with. Hart's pending retirement was announced in August. December/January says due diligence, February or later screams fiasco.

Butch treats his coaching staff like the cast of Oceans 11. Just get a bunch of your friends to come together for a project. It doesn't matter if it's good or not.

Yeah his friend DeBorg was a bust huh? And Shoop wasn't a buddy before being hired.

But don't let the facts distort your views

We were talking about CURRENT vacancies. Butch gets fired and we can complain about how we're messing THAT search up. This one wasn't going the way you intended...so I understand you switching streams. :huggy:

Actually it went exactly the way I expected. My original post was made half jokingly and half seriously.
I knew it wouldn't take long for the defenders of the faith to overreact.

Knee jerk reaction???

Hart announced he was retiring nearly five months ago.

And nowhere in my post did I suggest they should hire an AD just so they could hire an assistant football coach.

If you don't think this AD situation is adding to some apprehension and uncertainty within and especially outside the department then you haven't been paying much attention.

Actually it went exactly the way I expected. My original post was made half jokingly and half seriously.
I knew it wouldn't take long for the defenders of the faith to overreact.

Wasn't actually taking sides. Made counterpoints and you started "getting the band back together". :aggressive: When you're doing jokes quit being all serious and manifesto brandishing...crunches the punchline. :)

images

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back