Can you see the process now ?????

Easy to say Dobbs should have started from the beginning . For one thing we don't get to watch them practice everyday and that is where you gain trust. Must not have done it. Also, major shortcomings last season passing accuracy, or lack thereof of, and physical strength. He seems to have improved in both areas.

He played significantly better than last year. You could see the extra time in the weight room has paid off. The desire was for the team to play well enough to let them redshirt Dobbs and work on the size and accuracy issues. He did still have accuracy issues Saturday night. One interception and several over or under thrown balls. He missed on one sure touchdown pass by throwing behind the receiver. A very similar throw as the one that Worley threw that was intercepted at the goal line by Florida. He is improved and dynamic, but still needs some skill polishing.

I honestly believe that Butch intended to sit Dobbs out this season to protect his eligibility for 3 yrs. I think that he was basically sacrificing this season in the name of setting the table for the next three years and more. He probably had Dobbs in mind as quarterback once Worly left but I think everybody was shocked at how well he did Saturday night. I am actually shocked that he played Saturday night at all. I think the genie is out of the bottle and Butch is going to have to go ahead and start the future now. Dobbs is the new QB.

Reactions: 1 person
I posted last week that Blair will be the future at LT and Dobbs was the future at QB.

CBJ was trying to get through the season with a serviceable QB and a bunch of Freshman getting their feet wet. No matter who the QB was we were going to be a 5-7 to a 7-5 team. We don't have the depth or experience to compete with the elite just yet. Oline has to get a season under their belts and the freshman need the weight room.

Jones was trying to have a senior QB with all the talent he brought in this year.

Now with the injury to Worley and the redshirt off Dobbs we will have a first year QB when we have elite talent and depth.

Of course this doesn't have to be a bad thing because we now have a couple coming in that can have a chance to mature a couple of years before one takes over.
You guys keep overlooking a very, very, very important thing. A process is only as good as the results it produces. You could be right. I honestly think that Jones did that with several guys last year to include Maggitt and Jackson.

But if a string of seasons winning 7 or less is the product of the "process"... then you need to change the process. If it results in losing seasons... you need to change it radically.

Reactions: 3 people
So Butch's master plan involved starting Peterman against Bama, falling behind 27-0, and getting the fanbase fired up with Dobbs' performance?

I admit, I must have missed something.

You do realize that Peterman only played 2 series, right? Even Dobbs had a bit of trouble getting the offense going at the start. The 27 - 0 had more to do with some good game planning by Bama on offense, a little borderline illegal late substitutions that confused the secondary and some really bad defense. I really don't think the score would have been any different at the start with or without Dobbs.

You guys keep overlooking a very, very, very important thing. A process is only as good as the results it produces. You could be right. I honestly think that Jones did that with several guys last year to include Maggitt and Jackson.

But if a string of seasons winning 7 or less is the product of the "process"... then you need to change the process. If it results in losing seasons... you need to change it radically.

I'll ask you a similar question I asked another poster above.

What are your credentials that would lead us to believe you know more about running a college football program than Butch does?

Everyone screaming that we should have started Dobbs... I was a proponent of him last year after the Alabama game. Have you all forgotten how things panned out from there?

Look, all the quarterbacks have obviously progressed, but after how he played last year and how he has been in practice, there was almost no indication that Dobbs could come into a game and ball like that.

Everyone was calling for Worley to be the starter, especially after how he played against Utah State and Georgia. You same people would have laughed at anyone on this board that wanted us to put Dobbs in for Florida over Worley.

Funny how people completely forget when hindsight becomes a factor...

I posted last week that Blair will be the future at LT and Dobbs was the future at QB.

CBJ was trying to get through the season with a serviceable QB and a bunch of Freshman getting their feet wet. No matter who the QB was we were going to be a 5-7 to a 7-5 team. We don't have the depth or experience to compete with the elite just yet. Oline has to get a season under their belts and the freshman need the weight room.

Jones was trying to have a senior QB with all the talent he brought in this year.

Now with the injury to Worley and the redshirt off Dobbs we will have a first year QB when we have elite talent and depth.

Of course this doesn't have to be a bad thing because we now have a couple coming in that can have a chance to mature a couple of years before one takes over.

Are you serious? You have no idea what the future looks like 2 years from now, especially at QB. Who is to say that one of the recruits we sign this year isn't capable of beating out Dobbs in their 2nd season.

Are you saying the "process" has a mind of its own? Or, are you saying, this was planned by CBJ, as part of his process? How did he know Worley was going to be hurt? Is Worley actually hurt?
Is the "process" just putting things in motion, and they'll take care of themselves? I don't think, and this is just me, that CBJ actually knew at the start of the year, when Worley was going to be injured, and who he would start against Bama in his place. But if he did, I am a believer in the CBJ process, if not, I think it would be better categorized as "Circumstances dictated".

bUTch probably had a "Plan A" and in case of injury to Peterman or Worley he would go to "Plan B"

Are you serious? You have no idea what the future looks like 2 years from now, especially at QB. Who is to say that one of the recruits we sign this year isn't capable of beating out Dobbs in their 2nd season.

If you cant see what our future looks like then your blind to talent. We have 23 true freshman going toe to toe with the best there is week after week. We are young and not ready for prime time just yet.

Bring in two more recruiting classes like this years and we will compete for the SEC and if you can win the SEC you can win it all.

Look around and see what's dominating college football. Mobile OBs! If Dobbs can work on his accuracy he can be a great one. Look what his running ability did for our oline. Looked like a completely different team.

Business process

Sequence of interdependent and linked procedures which, at every stage, consume one or more resources to convert inputs into outputs. These outputs then serve as inputs for the next stage until a known goal or end result is reached.

End result or goal: to win more than 7. Its a process it doesn't happen just because you want it to. There are steps to be taken and we are taking them. It doesn't happen over night.

aka.......it must produce on my schedule or I won't like it.:cray:

Reactions: 2 people
It is relief to realize some of the posters on this thread are not in charge of anything. Cooler heads are managing the revival of UT football and not the emotional in the moment basket cases. Cooler heads are bringing in good players that will make coaching decisions look brilliant and win championships when they get on the field and are developed into winners again. Cooler heads will have to listen to the tantrums of the basket cases and naysayers, but lucky for us, they will stay the course and do what is necessary to win again.

Reactions: 2 people

If you continue to bring in top players for 2 or 3 years in a row, I think you might have a smidgen of a clue about the future. I hope we continue to recruit well and someone is good enough to beat out Dobbs next year or the next.

You aren't guaranteed tomorrow. I can remember Majors redshirting players such as Chuck Webb simply on a matter of principle, only to lose them early anyway. When in fact, those players would have made a differenced day one. Can you imagine having a policy of redshirting all freshmen today?
So, I understand CBJ looking towards the future and where he wants the process to go. But, if you have players that will improve your team NOW, you play them. Winning fixes more problems than anything, and it's hard to argue that UT would not have at least beat UF with Dobbs @ QB. If you change that one outcome, I can assure you the response of fans is entirely different.

Plus, how does a bowl and the additional practice fit into the process?

Also, you can't use a one size fits all interpretation of redshirt. Blair's situation doesn't necessarily look like Dobbs.

Agreed. If the player is any good, chances are you only have them for 3 years anyway. Might as well get production out of them as early as possible. The only exception to that are the offensive and defensive lines. It usually takes a year or two in a college S&C program to get them where they truly need to be to play in the SEC.

"You same people would have laughed at anyone on this board that wanted us to put Dobbs in for Florida over Worley."

Funny how people completely forget when hindsight becomes a factor...

I would have laughed -- with JOY -- if Dobbs had been inserted against Florida!

I actually called (texted) my buddy to "put in Dobbs" during the OK game, when Justin was getting pummeled, to stop the pressure. He said "Dobbs won't do any better."

Would I rather have my qb praised by the OK fans for getting creamed in the pocket over and over again -- and for getting back up -- or for rolling out/seeing the open options in the first place (like Dobbs just did vs AL)? I love Justin VFL, but Dobbs seems to fit this OC's scheme better (based on GAME video -- I don't see much practice vids).

If we finish 4-8, which is very possible, these same people will be complaining about Butch burning Dobbs redshirt for a lost cause.

I also don't understand our fans. Dobbs has played 2 good quarters in his entire career. Not exactly a legitimate sample size. Yet he is all everything. If he struggles this weekend, he will be thrown into the junk pile with Worley.

We can only lose 1 of the next 4 games. Go 2-2 or worse and no bowl or extra practices to worry about.

Even with Dobbs at QB, it is not going to be easy. We are 0-4 in the SEC. That is last place. Granted, we have played great teams, other than UF.

Even knowing and expecting this was likely a 5-7 season doesn't help the fanbase and won't help season ticket sales for next year.

I hope we go 4-0

Agree with most of what you've posted, with one exception. We could go 0-12, and still sell 100,000 tickets. UT fans don't buy tickets based on last years W and L record. I'd say we'd have to go 0-12 for 10 years minimum before ticket sales would suffer, if at all. Do you think season ticket holders would give up their good seats, just because we had a few bad years? Hell no. They are Inve$ted in those seats. 99% would ride it out.

I'll ask you a similar question I asked another poster above.

What are your credentials that would lead us to believe you know more about running a college football program than Butch does?

I am very sure you could ask that question of 99.9% of all posters on this, or any other board. I believe in America, each one of us has an opinion that matters. Boards such as VolNation give a lot of us the chance to discuss, and voice our opinion. If you don't like that, perhaps you would be better off in cuba, or North Korea. You could apply the same reasoning to every aspect of your own life, and if you did, you'd never get very far. You couldn't even comment on the menu of a local restaurant, unless you were a school trained chef, etc. etc.

If you cant see what our future looks like then your blind to talent. We have 23 true freshman going toe to toe with the best there is week after week. We are young and not ready for prime time just yet.

Bring in two more recruiting classes like this years and we will compete for the SEC and if you can win the SEC you can win it all.

Look around and see what's dominating college football. Mobile OBs! If Dobbs can work on his accuracy he can be a great one. Look what his running ability did for our oline. Looked like a completely different team.

See, the problem with guys such as yourself is simple.

You keep talking about the "process" and exercising patience but out of the other side of your mouth you want to talk SEC titles already.

How about we see if the guy can crack .500 first before anointing him the Stephen Hawking of football?

As much talk as their has been about plans and processes, I hope to see a Brief History of Butch on the bookshelves by Christmas.

See, the problem with guys such as yourself is simple.

You keep talking about the "process" and exercising patience but out of the other side of your mouth you want to talk SEC titles already.

How about we see if the guy can crack .500 first before anointing him the Stephen Hawking of football?

As much talk as their has been about plans and processes, I hope to see a Brief History of Butch on the bookshelves by Christmas.

There's the ****ty agent who can't read again. I said if we can bring in two more recruiting classes like the one we had we can compete for an SEC championship.

Did I ever say we will win an SEC championship? You bring in a top 5 recruiting class 3 to 4 years in a row and have coaches who can get out of their own way you can compete.

I feel we have coaches with the experience and direction to get the job done. Hopefully we can keep recruiting the way we are and we will be back.

VN Store

Back