Can the Arkansas situation affect Tennessee Football?

Can you imagine Kiffin giving sabian a whooooo pig if arky hired him, that would be great šŸ–

Arky might be a temptation for Kiffin. Lou Holtz and Bobby Petrino made a splash there. I wonder about it being a good fit, but should be no great shock to either party. He might be happy in South Florida or he might be tired of it. Hogs have done worse, and Kiffin might like the idea.

Last edited:
Chaney isn't leaving. Not gonna happen. He left a top 5 team to come here and is the highest paid OC in the country. He is going to leave this for that shat show? A program that fires their HC after not even 2yrs? TN is stable now.

Arky will continue to be a laughing stock if they hire a career OL coach for HC

Arky has to go outside the box if they want to compete. They need to accept that 6-6 to 8-4 with the occasional (1-2x'd every 10yrs) 9-10 win season is their ceiling. It's ok to be good at basketball and they have an elite track program. They have a good fanbase and if they can find moderate success the base will support it but they have to know their place. All this money in athletics and Saban's domination has gotten people acting crazy
Arkansas was stupid to hire the worst coach they could find, but "wised-up" quickly-did what any thinking person would have done and fired him. I know there are a lot of Dooley fans still poking around, but sometimes coach worship has to be set aside for the good of the program. We went through the same thing, I hope (as an SEC team) they can learn from our mistake, don't hire a carbon copy of boy butch!!! Hire a real Football coach, and not a life coach! We should be able to post a big W against AR next year-or at least we better be....

Norvell would be the smartest hire. He is a good coach and is already in firm control of the Memphis recruiting market which Arkansas relies on. My question is would Norvell take it? It truly is a dumpster fire and I think Norvell could do better. He may end up with the FSU job honestly.

Reactions: J C Higgins
Arkansas is just in a squeeze. The best thing they could do is hire an end of career guy to put some shine on the program for a few years. Les Miles makes sense, but thereā€™s really no upside for a solid coach to take that job.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Agree...don't need him muddying the waters of our success recruiting Memphis.

Memphis, Nashville, Miss, Ala, La, Ky, GA, Fla, anywhere. I know that more so than in the recent passed, Memphis is a thought to be a "hot Bed" of talent. True, but no more than in the past and the same problems exist now as have been the problems in the past with most of this talent. There is very likely as much elite talent scattered across the more rural areas around Memphis than is "hollered" about and with less baggage. As to my original post:
Kiff can and would "make a splash". Just wouldn't want to add him to the pot.

Auburn Fans donā€™t like Gus. But I do t think Gus is going to leave. Why would he?

The answer: The fans... When the fans are not happy the money starts to dry up. Have we not seen this? To his credit 8-10 wins a year is not to bad in this conference. However, with the elephant in his closet up across the state, 8-10 is not enough. How long can anyone take the pressure this job demands when "fans don't like the effort"? He knows what to expect from his "home folks" in Ark. (that is until he fails to put them in the upper level of the SEC West - say 5-6 years)

No idea, but I will say that Steven Godfrey just said on 104.5 in Nashville that Butch Jones is a viable candidate for that job.

Tennessee = Gruden
FSU = Stoops

Arkansas = Jimmy Johnson?????:eek:

I also live in Arkansas (have since Bill Battle was the Vol head coach). The problems at Arkansas are structural and won't be easy to overcome regardless of who is at the helm. Personnel is the major problem. Arkansas doesn't produce enough SEC quality athletes and getting them out of Texas is getting harder by the day. I think they can get back to 'respectable', but competing consistently at the highest level is a pipe dream. Their best hope would be to get to where Kansas State is to the Big 12, or Michigan State to the B1G.

Reactions: Vol_n_LR
Does Arky have deep pockets? I can't help but think that Gus is tired enough of the "Fire Him" crowd at Auburn that a pocket full of money would bring him home.
Of course if Bama loses to Auburn Nick might be looking for a job.....

No idea, but I will say that Steven Godfrey just said on 104.5 in Nashville that Butch Jones is a viable candidate for that job.
Not crazy at all, actually. I think Butch could handle a job of that calibre. His ceiling and Arkansas' ceiling are around the same level. He is always one special recruiting class away from relevance and almost great years. He probably has learned more about coaching in the last 2 years than the first 50 of his life. Someone might have updated the laminated sideline Coaching For Dummies chart for him.

Reactions: OrangeSquid
Not crazy at all, actually. I think Butch could handle a job of that calibre. His ceiling and Arkansas' ceiling are around the same level. He is always one special recruiting class away from relevance and almost great years. He probably has learned more about coaching in the last 2 years than the first 50 of his life. Someone might have updated the laminated sideline Coaching For Dummies chart for him.
This is beyond bizarre. Razorback fans have just suffered through eight years of crappy coaching and they've had a belly full of it. What they don't want and won't stand for is another coach who's in over his head. Can you imagine what Jones' record would have been without Josh Dobbs? As for "handling a job of that calibre", what conference do you think they're in?

Reactions: Bob Neyland
I think youā€™re right. Godfrey said he could make a strong case vs some of the other candidate names thus far mentioned, for example Mike Norvell of Memphis. Godfrey said he could easily say ā€œlook, these guys havenā€™t recruited in the SEC, havenā€™t run a program in the SEC, havenā€™t won games in the SEC....I HAVEā€.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Butch Jones is exactly where he needs to be. Making coffee and picking up dry cleaning for those that can coach.

Reactions: Vol4ever
Their program is in worse shape than ours was when boy butch finished it off. In order to turn that program around, they need a real football coach, One that wins-doesn't have to be a top SEC coach, they aren't going to be a Top SEC team anytime soon, but they can start getting their heads screwed on with a no BS coach. Although, I hope boy butch is asked and takes the job-maybe TN won't have to keep paying, and paying and paying.

If I'm the Arkansas AD at this point I'm holding my nose and hiring Freeze or Briles as it is already a dumpster fire and that cannot really make it much worse and those are the only name coaches that are going to be willing to step in that mess.

Freeze has a 4 game suspension waiting on him and with a mishmash roster no one is going to really be able to do anything. I think that they have a much bigger mess at this point than what Pruitt came into.

The above is just my gut reaction as I really have not paid much attention to what they have at this time or what issues they have going on other locker room issues which we also had at the start of the season which can be expected with a new staff coming in much less a 3rd staff coming in in the last 3 years (at least in my opinion).

VN Store

Back