Can the Arkansas situation affect Tennessee Football?

Vol_n_LR

Living in Arkansas I hear a lot of the stuff going on with Arkansas football. Something that is being thrown around is bringing in Pittman as head coach. If not head coach OC or O Line coach.

The reason I bring this up is, if this happens, would it be realistic to think we could pull some of there Olineman as transfers (Mays). Also, if he is brought into Fayetteville as head coach, would he look at bringing Chaney in as OC? I know Chaney has said he wants to retire in Knoxeville.

I know not likely to happen but just throwing my thoughts out there.

Living in Arkansas I hear a lot of the stuff going on with Arkansas football. Something that is being thrown around is bringing in Pittman as head coach. If not head coach OC or O Line coach.

The reason I bring this up is, if this happens, would it be realistic to think we could pull some of there Olineman as transfers (Mays). Also, if he is brought into Fayetteville as head coach, would he look at bringing Chaney in as OC? I know Chaney has said he wants to retire in Knoxeville.

Let it go brother....let it go.

Chaney likes K'town and is already highest paid OC in country...or right there at it. I think Ark has to go one of two ways...either go back to the stout d/power run game that they had previous success with or, more likely, go the other direction and get someone to come in and change the game with Texas Tech type offense...I'd throw a pile of money at Mike Leach. You can't go with next unproven coach to come up. SEC W is too long of a build with Bama, LSU, Aub, TaM...by the time you get a power game semi built up, presumably someone like Pittman mentioned, you're fired. Gotta go with someone who will shake it up.

Chaney likes K'town and is already highest paid OC in country...or right there at it. I think Ark has to go one of two ways...either go back to the stout d/power run game that they had previous success with or, more likely, go the other direction and get someone to come in and change the game with Texas Tech type offense...I'd throw a pile of money at Mike Leach. You can't go with next unproven coach to come up. SEC W is too long of a build with Bama, LSU, Aub, TaM...by the time you get a power game semi built up, presumably someone like Pittman mentioned, you're fired. Gotta go with someone who will shake it up.

If Leach comes to the SEC...and not at UT...I sure as he!! hope it is in the West.

Nice to know there are other Vol fans right here in the Rock. Heard the same thing on Pittman. Wouldn’t be a terrible hire, he’s very respected on many levels. I still think Norvell is the main target because of his ability to recruit Memphis and surrounding area which is critical for Arkansas to be competitive in recruiting. We shall see but I doubt very seriously Leach would come.

God Bless for living in Arkansas, but nothing you said makes any sense at all, nothing

Nice to know there are other Vol fans right here in the Rock. Heard the same thing on Pittman. Wouldn’t be a terrible hire, he’s very respected on many levels. I still think Norvell is the main target because of his ability to recruit Memphis and surrounding area which is critical for Arkansas to be competitive in recruiting. We shall see but I doubt very seriously Leach would come.
I don’t doubt Leach would come. He was pretty open to the idea of leaving Washington State. He would do well at Arkansas if he went.

Chaney isn't leaving. Not gonna happen. He left a top 5 team to come here and is the highest paid OC in the country. He is going to leave this for that shat show? A program that fires their HC after not even 2yrs? TN is stable now.

Arky will continue to be a laughing stock if they hire a career OL coach for HC

Arky has to go outside the box if they want to compete. They need to accept that 6-6 to 8-4 with the occasional (1-2x'd every 10yrs) 9-10 win season is their ceiling. It's ok to be good at basketball and they have an elite track program. They have a good fanbase and if they can find moderate success the base will support it but they have to know their place. All this money in athletics and Saban's domination has gotten people acting crazy

I've never been to Fayetteville so this is just based on an assumption but I see it as a place as one of the few SEC schools that would be in Leach's wheelhouse. That's of course if they offer and he decides to go.

They should go after Leach or Kiffin. Arkansas Football becomes instantly relevant and in the news cycle if they do but my money is on Norwell or Clark. getting the nod.

Last edited:
I've never been to Fayetteville so this is just based on an assumption but I see it as a place as one of the few SEC schools that would be in Leach's wheelhouse. That's of course if they offer and he decides to go.

Unfortunately, I could totally see Leach going to Arkansas. It's a tough job, but no tougher than Washington State or Texas Tech. And it pays better!

Of course, Leach is probably going to take till Year 3 or Year 4 to show any progress and Arkansas fans don't seem to have the patience for that.

I live in NWA and its about as close to living in SE Tennessee as you can get. I believe Leach would actually do well here as most of their fans just want to win and constantly talk about the Petrino days.

I met one of Chaneys kids when he was here and based on our conversation if he doesn’t have too he’s never leaving UT.

Reactions: sport3500
Nay on Leach...……………..Lane likes Pigs! Kiffie with a Sooouuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
nhj7.PNG

Anything can cause an impact. A drunk farting in Neyland can cause air currents to shift and Cimaglia suddenly misses a field goal. BUT... Chaney is at UT. That won't change. Arky will find somebody but needs to start at the top. Frank Broyles isn't around but that's the kind of return to glory that the hogs are hunting. It begins with the community and grows recruits from there.

I don't have the fascination with Leach as a lot of people do. But he is a good coach. I don't see Arky being a temptation for him. But I'm just a dumb hillbilly, so I could be wrong. It is an SEC school, so I imagine that brings some appeal to it.

And I would be even more surprised if Pitman goes straight to head coach status.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
I can see Pittman going there as OC, but not head coach especially after they whiffed on the past two hires. Chaney isn’t leaving Knoxville unless he has to, but no chance of someone poaching him.
I actually like Chaney and think the improved OL is due to him and he will make sure our OL is always ready.

VN Store

Back