Can someone explain the logic

The spread comes from Vegas, not the AP. Would be interesting to see a Vegas-based ranking system. Folks actually putting money on the game rank Tennessee about a TD higher.
Vegas doesn't rank teams. The line is whatever is necessary to balance the amount of money bet on both teams. That's all Vegas tries to do, so that they win no matter what by collecting the juice. Us being favored indicates that people were more inclined to bet on Tennessee, so they had to give Pitt points to balance the bets (i.e. get more people to bet on Pitt plus the points).

Reactions: TeddyYeti
True story. I have a buddy named Ricky. He's an average looking guy and was out one night. One of those nights when a very attractive woman and Ricky got a little rapport going that was positive and he walked her to her car and before she left, a few sparks flew between them. She texted him her contact information and he called me the next day crowing about this amazing woman that had demonstrated a positive response.

The next day, he went on an overnight backpacking trip to Bankhead National forest with a group. Over night as they were camping, a torrential rain storm came up and the path to get out of there meant walking across downed tree trunks to cross streams. He slipped and his phone ended up in the drink and was forever rendered useless.

I think of him every time I hear "Ricky don't lose that number". My friend Ricky, lost that number. He never saw her again.

The AP has Pitt ranked higher than Tennessee. The game is at Pitt, a higher ranked team, and the AP, who ranked Pitt higher has Tennessee as the favorite.

If the AP has Tennessee as a favorite on the road, shouldn't the Vols be ranked higher than Pitt according to the same AP?

Stop obsessing with the polls. Since the polls no longer determine the national champion, they are irrelevent. And this is the exact cause for why Notre Dame is also irrelevent.

The spread comes from Vegas, not the AP. Would be interesting to see a Vegas-based ranking system. Folks actually putting money on the game rank Tennessee about a TD higher.
Check out the JP poll from Late Kick. He has a model he uses that ranks based off a betting line scenario. Vols are 12.

Reactions: West Coast Vol

VN Store

Back