Calloway ejected

Football is a violent sport. It is not figure dancing. It’s not golf. It is based on hitting people as hard as possible and submitting your will. The fact that we hype it up with only a 100 yards separation at most between 22 guys that are the peacocks of their local towns, surprises me that we don’t have more fights.

What Calloway did was excessive and he has to be held accountable. But dismissal is excessive as well IMO. Fights happen in sports. Some where folks actually get hurt. Calloway was hitting someone in a helmet, in the end. Let's not overreact.
Calloway was ringing his bell.
Calloway did not care that the helmet was on.
I guarantee it hurt.

Akron player def said something. We’ll probably never know what. Calloway needs to be smarter than that regardless. Hopefully he learns to keep his cool.

This went on for several plays before . One of the plays before the defender had his hands inside Calloways fackmask. The refs let this go on all night & should have been stopped earlier.

As a parent what do you do? Tell him to just take it and walk away? He made refs aware of it and it continued on for several plays. He never got in to another fight at school or get in to any kind of trouble.I wasnt thrilled that my son made someone elses kid bleed in front of a couple thousand people. Great kids are forced to make decisions on the fly and they arent going to always get it right. We as a nation have become soft to justice and morales but thats another thread for another day .
People aren’t ready for this conversation anymore

Reactions: SAPPER 5
If it was a hockey it would be 5 min penalty for fighting and back in the game. For crying out loud you people act like he committed a bank robbery. It’s a contact sport with lots of emotion involved. 100,000 people yelling “Kill them!” and a young man full testosterone retaliated for a hand under his face mask. He needs to be on the field in the next game and see if he learned anything. Y’all need to lighten up.
^This absolutely! Even baseball players that throw punches only get a few games out of a 160 game season. Same for NBA. Driving the crown of your helmet into someone’s headgear is way more dangerous but only gets a game. If Heupel has confidence that Calloway can keep his composure and help the team, he should play him as soon as the league allows (1game).

Only thing I would add is that coach Pope is going to have to really work with Calloway on composure and discipline In practice because now that opponents know they can get under his skin, he is going to get harassed the rest of the year.

Everyone assumes he will sit out the first half for his suspension and play the second half. Last Saturday was the first game action he’s had pretty much since the Florida game last year. With our WR depth, I don’t think he sees the field for awhile. Coaches talk about trust. I think they will play someone else first.

This went on for several plays before . One of the plays before the defender had his hands inside Calloways fackmask. The refs let this go on all night & should have been stopped earlier.

IF IF IF this is a repeated act, these action shots of THE PLAY explains a lot, not justifies, the reaction. Composure is what it is.

Notice the first head slap with the left hand, followed by two shots showing the right hand illegally contacting the facemask for over a complete step (check the right foot up then down). Watch the replayS at about the 3:05 mark to validate these shots. I will provide the appropriate ruling from the rulebook at the bottom.

1663765968708.png

1663765343169.png

1663765759761.png

Ruling 9-1 IV.

IV. 1/10 @ A-25. Defender B21 is in press coverage, and at the snap strikes wideout A88 in the face mask. A88 is initially disrupted from running the route. A12 is sacked for a 7-yard loss. RULING: Personal foul by B21 for striking A88. Team A will have 1/10 @ A-40. With this type action, continuous contact to the opponent’s face, helmet (including the face mask) or neck is not a requirement to be a foul as per Rule 9-1-8-a.

BUT IT WAS THERE AND A SECONDARY ACT the crack set of officials ignored.

32 seconds.

Keep watching and notice how Callaway's helmet is sitting afterwards.

It was really stupid on his part since you really can't hurt a guy with a helmet on by punching him. If he wanted to respond with a dirty play then he should have waited and found an opportunity to cleat a hand or calf.

Point well taken. It is possible however with a well placed upper cut to contact the chin under the face mask and do some damage. I witnessed that once during in a fight that broke out during a practice resulting in some stitching up of the chin area at the ER.

Reactions: sjt18
Run some extra laps around the field so it looks like punishment and call it a day. Get ready for Florida.

VN Store

Back