Cade Mays looking for an NIL deal that would pay him “third or fourth round money”.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Fulmer is still e beloved person in many circles around Knoxville. I could easily see the boosters not getting behind White. If what you say is really true, then White and Heupel won’t last too long here.

This would be so Tennessee.
OMG, something I never even thought of. This is going to give the big money boosters unprecedented power to run the sports programs at the colleges they support. This is bad.

Reactions: VolMarine1371
Go to the NFL Cade. We love that you came back but don't extort us for money.

Edit: don't get me wrong I like Cade but we are not winning the east with or without him next year. If it was Hooker looking for money I might say pay the man because he makes such a huge difference in our team next year. Just my $.02

Online play with Cade vs Oline play without Cade was vastly different. He could be the difference in wins and losses.

With Mays injury history, what school would give him that kind of money? He's better off just moving on.

Don’t blame him. Pay the man. It’s the way things are now.
Yea - we will not be doing that. When i say we - I mean no one is going to do that. When I say no one - I mean there isn't any one on the planet earth that will be paying Cade that kind
of money on a NIL deal.

This is one of the smartest uses of this aspect i think i have seen. It's strategically brilliant.

Yea - we will not be doing that. When i say we - I mean no one is going to do that. When I say no one - I mean there isn't any one on the planet earth that will be paying Cade that kind
of money on a NIL deal.
What is 4th round money? Ballpark. I have no idea.

Edit: i looked it up... yeah... that ain't happening. If he does get that, it would be devastating to college football because it would open the floodgates to them being paid like the pros.

Last edited:
of money on a NIL deal.
Especially to watch from the sidelines. Kid is injury prone. That factors into the decision no matter if its the NIL or NFL.

Reactions: Sara Clark
I think he is delusional and he better start prepping for the NFL, and hope he gets 3-4 round money there.

Trey Smith gets paid 6th round money as a starter in the NFL.

If someone pays Cade anywhere near what he is hoping for, things have gone off the rails worse than I could have imagined.
I think he's talking like $700K-800K.

For a fan like me living outside TN, I wish someone in a business with an online presence would start signing these guys up. It would influence my shopping preferences.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Yeah, Supreme Court has really screwed up NCAA Football. I see another decision about this coming up in near future.

I think the NCAA was too strict. Giving money to help players out in need should be allowed and I felt that the scholarships should have included an option for a larger pension for food, housing, etc., but the NIL crap is a little too overboard.

OMG, something I never even thought of. This is going to give the big money boosters unprecedented power to run the sports programs at the colleges they support. This is bad.
It's already been pretty bad and yes, the boosters need to be on the same page...... create a pot of NIL money and get someone they trust to manage the use of it.

This is why Oregon may have "The Way" with having Uncle Phil Knight calling all the shots as defacto team owner.

But yes...... welcome to pro sports with meddling owners.

Reactions: Hunerwadel
Yeah, Supreme Court has really screwed up NCAA Football. I see another decision about this coming up in near future.

I think the NCAA was too strict. Giving money to help players out in need should be allowed and I felt that the scholarships should have included an option for a larger pension for food, housing, etc., but the NIL crap is a little too overboard.

Fixing it is going to be like trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube.

Fixing it is going to be like trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube.

We won't go back but I can see something like the NCAA allowed to limit the amounts of NIL or perhaps do what the TSSAA had to do and do a league for recruiting (Division II) and a league for non-recruiting (Division I). Basically an NIL league and non-NIL league.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
NIL needs a CAP that ALL STATES must honor to level the playing filed and we are seeing that the rules have to be rewritten.
Putting $$$ in a kids hands or using NIL as a way to gain the stars with ridiculous bids is BS
It is a waste of Money.
It has been a waste of money and will lead to more misuse of funding.
Does not teach the Athlete anything.
I don't know but no money is handed upfront and should be handed out on the arrears if the Athlete fulfills his obligation to the contract.
Most would take the money and run to the NFL not attend class and be gone.
Reality if they don't make the NFL they have this to fall back on without any education and looking for the next con.
There is no need for recruitting Services any more, they cannot evaluate the number of players Nation wide anyway. Put a 5* label on a kids head that maybe only a true 3* but people will throw money at the kid anyway.
NIL is a complete hoax when based on Recruiting services evaluation.

Last edited:
I think he's talking like $700K-800K.

For a fan like me living outside TN, I wish someone in a business with an online presence would start signing these guys up. It would influence my shopping preferences.
LOL seriously?

We won't go back but I can see something like the NCAA allowed to limit the amounts of NIL or perhaps do what the TSSAA had to do and do a league for recruiting (Division II) and a league for non-recruiting (Division I). Basically an NIL league and non-NIL league.
This is the solution and it'll be painful for old fans of college football.

C'mon, lots of the elite teams have been paying players quietly for a long time. Out in the open, it's a bidding war we see but the Will Wade phone call shows its been there all along.

Create a pro league not connected except in name/licensing to the schools. Get it professionally managed by folks with NFL/NBA experience and lets get back to watching games.

The less elite can continue at smaller programs as amateurs, well.....in name....playing for "State" like the old days.

It's really the only way. The genie isn't just out of the bottle...... the genie is picking out a Porsche at the local dealer for a player.

VN Store

Back