Cade Mays looking for an NIL deal that would pay him “third or fourth round money”.

You obviously don't listen to Tony Basilio. I admit he's not well thought of around here. He says we've already lost basketball recruits because of the weak NIL program. I hope you are right that there is nothing to be concerned about.
No, I don't listen to Basilio.

But you said you _read_ this in "a couple of places." Please link at least one of those sources.

LOL seriously?
Seriously what? An article I read just a bit ago said that's what 3rd or 4th round money would be. FTR, he didn't exactly say that. He answered a question and said that was his draft grade.

This is going to eventually come down to fan purchases and behavior. Big donors can "give money away"... maybe. But the programs that sustain NIL and benefit from it are going to be the ones where fans specifically choose to support the company because of the player.

For instance, UT gear is sold across the country and on major online sites. If you've got a UT gear shop somewhere around K'ville then why not sign these guys up and use their image and recommendation on your website? Not sure about the rule but maybe you could even advertise their website on the player's social media.

Reactions: SpookyAction
This is the solution and it'll be painful for old fans of college football.

C'mon, lots of the elite teams have been paying players quietly for a long time. Out in the open, it's a bidding war we see but the Will Wade phone call shows its been there all along.

Create a pro league not connected except in name/licensing to the schools. Get it professionally managed by folks with NFL/NBA experience and lets get back to watching games.

The less elite can continue at smaller programs as amateurs, well.....in name....playing for "State" like the old days.

It's really the only way. The genie isn't just out of the bottle...... the genie is picking out a Porsche at the local dealer for a player.

To be honest, I have always thought the CFB Power 5 leagues and Notre Dame probably should have formed their own league and broke away anyways. Kind of ridiculous when you have teams going unbeaten in Division I that cannot play in the playoffs because there schedule is so vastly different than a Power 5 league.

Does the SEC and Sunbelt really belong in the same Division? They are not viewed the same by any measure.

A nice compromise would be to still allow the Power 5 league to play 2 games against lower leagues to keep the paychecks flowing down and easy/off/preseason weeks for the Power 5 teams.

What is 4th round money? Ballpark. I have no idea.

Edit: i looked it up... yeah... that ain't happening. If he does get that, it would be devastating to college football because it would open the floodgates to them being paid like the pros.
The #1 recruit just got a $1million deal to go to Jackson Mississippi. That is more than what Cade is asking for and Cade is a 4 year starter.

You obviously don't listen to Tony Basilio. I admit he's not well thought of around here. He says we've already lost basketball recruits because of the weak NIL program. I hope you are right that there is nothing to be concerned about.
Basilio is full of crap. He spews half-baked conjecture all the time. Just a couple of days ago he said that Justin Williams would sign with Auburn. The kid has been locked in on UT for a while.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what UT has done or can do to support NIL. I would say a lot of programs are trying to hash that out. UT is in a worse position than most to push the envelope until some of the particulars are resolved. I do believe that fans and supporters are the ones with ALL the power right now. Business owners/leaders need to step up.

There are former Vols in the area running businesses like Real Estate. It would be a very simple matter to use player images on Real Estate ads... and it would steer folks like me to choose their services over someone else.

This is just one example of why NIL rules will be re-evaluated. Deion teamed with Barstool Sports on that deal.

Oh, yeah, I know. But, Barstool has a present docuseries where they follow Deion and his team. So, they are just investing in the name, image, and likeness of a player that can help make them money. He makes them no money at FSU, but if he is playing at Jackson State, then they can profit.

I don't know necessarily why it is wrong. Now, the school cannot set up the deal, but I imagine they are able to say "well, he never asked us specifically to pay Travis Hunter."

Reactions: 08Vol
Basilio is full of crap. He spews half-baked conjecture all the time. Just a couple of days ago he said that Justin Williams would sign with Auburn. The kid has been locked in on UT for a while.

I don't listen to Basilio, either. However, Rob Lewis has said the same thing on the basketball front. UK nabbed a 5* that was considering us with NIL promises.

Yeah, Supreme Court has really screwed up NCAA Football. I see another decision about this coming up in near future.

I think the NCAA was too strict. Giving money to help players out in need should be allowed and I felt that the scholarships should have included an option for a larger pension for food, housing, etc., but the NIL crap is a little too overboard.
NIL isn't something created for college athletes, it's available to any citizen and the NCAA was illegally restricting college players from being able to make money from other people using their NIL.

You might not like how it's being used, but I don't see any legal way for someone to come in and tell a business you can't pay this kid x dollars for his NIL.

I don't listen to Basilio, either. However, Rob Lewis has said the same thing on the basketball front. UK nabbed a 5* that was considering us with NIL promises.
I modified my post. I don't think UT is in a position to push the envelope on NIL. They pretty much have to let others risk violations.

Reactions: RhodesVol
To be honest, I have always thought the CFB Power 5 leagues and Notre Dame probably should have formed their own league and broke away anyways. Kind of ridiculous when you have teams going unbeaten in Division I that cannot play in the playoffs because there schedule is so vastly different than a Power 5 league.

Does the SEC and Sunbelt really belong in the same Division? They are not viewed the same by any measure.

A nice compromise would be to still allow the Power 5 league to play 2 games against lower leagues to keep the paychecks flowing down and easy/off/preseason weeks for the Power 5 teams.
Exactly, except there's not enough TV revenue for the Sunbelt to stay alive long except as a regional, way diminished league.

Big TV contracts will only come to teams with national profiles and elite talent. ESPN doesn't want to televise Jimmy with a 0.0025 star against similar players. I'm not Jimmy's grandpa and I'm not going to watch that. Without being affiliated with the "super conferences" lesser school's sports programs will die hard and fast from no funding and disinterest.

It's an ugly culling but it's coming.

Reactions: Doberman
Isn't fourth round money around 800 grand. I would be surprised he could get that kind of money deal more than likely needs to enter the draft.

Seriously what? An article I read just a bit ago said that's what 3rd or 4th round money would be. FTR, he didn't exactly say that. He answered a question and said that was his draft grade.

This is going to eventually come down to fan purchases and behavior. Big donors can "give money away"... maybe. But the programs that sustain NIL and benefit from it are going to be the ones where fans specifically choose to support the company because of the player.

For instance, UT gear is sold across the country and on major online sites. If you've got a UT gear shop somewhere around K'ville then why not sign these guys up and use their image and recommendation on your website? Not sure about the rule but maybe you could even advertise their website on the player's social media.
I believe aTm was doing "mass signings" for players at an athletic shop.

You get gear, funding the store, get it signed by players, funding the players. The players get money from their sigs and for just showing up.

There's ROI for the company. That makes sense. This is more like the "dot.com" crap where folks are just wildly throwing money around because everyone else is doing it.

It ain't my money. Except for the popcorn I'm eating.

No celebrity, i don't care who they are affects my purchasing habits. That was what i was asking if you were serious about. I just find that interesting.

I think he is delusional and he better start prepping for the NFL, and hope he gets 3-4 round money there.

Trey Smith gets paid 6th round money as a starter in the NFL.

If someone pays Cade anywhere near what he is hoping for, things have gone off the rails worse than I could have imagined.
I agree. I don't know what his draft grade is at the moment, but I'd be shocked if he went between the 3rd or 4th round. I'm sure he's done his homework, hence the "asking price", and generally speaking OL as a whole aren't that marketable. He wants half a mil for 2nd team ALL-SEC ?! Good luck.

Reactions: Doberman
Legal extortion lol. I will stay if you pay me enough. First a dawg, then a Vol, now a NIL'er. So much for loyalty to your school.

Let's see, you can do your job for 1/20th the value in location A (scholarship), or for 20 times the money somewhere else (NFL). Giving location A the opportunity to match the offer is more than generous. Fans see playing for Tennessee as the be all, end all. Players have the next 60 years and generations of their family to think about.

Reactions: 08Vol
I agree. I don't know what his draft grade is at the moment, but I'd be shocked if he went between the 3rd or 4th round. I'm sure he's done his homework, hence the "asking price", and generally speaking OL as a whole aren't that marketable. He wants half a mil for 2nd team ALL-SEC ?! Good luck.
That's his opening line.
His health history downgrades him substantially. I personally think he needs a healthy season. He is just testing the waters for some security money.

All this crap about spending someone else's money is so asinine. When did this ever come up about boosters before?
Big money people are big money people.
If we are going to win, they will pony up. If they don't, we don't win.
Whether they do or don't, we sit and watch. End of the money conversation.
Everything else is just old man bullcrap. You guys sound like my dad talking about clouds.

If a business does a NIL deal with a UT athlete, if I am spending dollars in that part of the economy, I will spend my dollars with that business.
This is college football going forward. We better evolve with it. It's weird and new, but we better adapt and get good at it. Just business.

Last edited:
Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
He’s not worth that. We can buy better for that kind of money. NIL going to be the end of College football.

Or maybe the booster money starts funneling to the players out in the open instead of overpaying mediocre coaches with million dollar buyouts for failure.

Reactions: 08Vol and Raebo
I think this means he’s declaring. I can see why the decision is tough. NFL careers are short and if you can delay that first year paycheck and get triple that in the second year, it’s a good call to hold out.

Or maybe the booster money starts funneling to the players out in the open instead of overpaying mediocre coaches with million dollar buyouts for failure.

If that’s what we want from College football then ok. But like everything else in this country right now we are good at spending other people’s money. Millionaire donors didn’t get there making bad business deals with high school kids that have never stepped on the field or Upperclassmen wanting NFL money. Don’t disagree with you about the obscene Coach pay but I guess with this NIL we fans can now blame cheapskate donors and alum for the team’s shortcomings.

VN Store

Back