Butch to Talk on OC Serach

@Vol_Football: JONES: It is a great profession. With the younger guys on our staff, it is our duty to enhance their positions. Constantly educate them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want individuals who are dedicated to this sport. We have heavily involve our quality control & grad assts. I’m grateful for them.

While the other quotes support the DeBord thesis, these suggest that (as has been previously mentioned) ZA may be in the mix for a new title and Sheridan being brought on to work with QBs.

While he didn't say he was thoroughly searching the country with a fine tooth comb, I got the feeling he is going to take his time and use every resource he can to make a good hire. I don't believe Butch will follow the former staffs ways. He has us too close to where we should be. Everyone relax and let the man do his job

Reactions: 2 people
Looking back at it Clawson didn't run what CPF did and he tried to fit it in...Probably told Jones don't overhaul your offense and find the right fit for your team

Ironically, Clawson would probably do a great job with this offense. Totally different situation than what Phil brought him in to do. The guy can coach and his success has been along similar lines as what we are seeing with our offense now. 0% chance it happens of course.

He said he wants someone who has experience coaching multiple positions and who can enhance the offense without changing it fundamentally.

That, along with the comments about finding the right fit with the staff, screams DeBord to me.

Agree unfortunately

I like cheap hookers and expensive whisky!! Check my stats.

Need to reevaluate things IMO. JMO TIFWIW. Check my stats.

I like expensive hookers and cheap whiskey.

Tend to save money on penicillin and valtrex this way.

Side note.

" Check my stats" has apparently entered VN lexicon at this point. Well done Mueller. Well done.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for providing a summary of the press conference!

I have to say that I feel much better about any hire err make after reading through this thread.

I was reminded that an unknown coach walked into a terrible situation a few years ago. The team was no fun to watch and many of the players were difficult to cheer for.

Butch and his staff had me dumbfounded with how aggressively they recruited players and fans both. Cheering for the Vols was suddenly more fun than it ever had been. Because of the focus And positivity Butch brings.

Forgive me for being long-winded but Butch didn't strike me as a person who is going to screw this up. He has actualized his vision admirably to date and I think he is going to use this turmoil to accelerate the effing process!

CHECK BUTCH'S STATS.

Reactions: 8 people
Thanks for providing a summary of the press conference!

I have to say that I feel much better about any hire err make after reading through this thread.

I was reminded that an unknown coach walked into a terrible situation a few years ago. The team was no fun to watch and many of the players were difficult to cheer for.

Butch and his staff had me dumbfounded with how aggressively they recruited players and fans both. Cheering for the Vols was suddenly more fun than it ever had been. Because of the focus And positivity Butch brings.

Forgive me for being long-winded but Butch didn't strike me as a person who is going to screw this up. He has actualized his vision admirably to date and I think he is going to use this turmoil to accelerate the effing process!

CHECK BUTCH'S STATS.
Well said

"A fit"..."experience coaching multiple positions". "Enhance but don't go backwards". "Not have our kids learn a new system"

This language has me the most excited. We don't need a sexy hire at OC as long as we stay with the spread option attack that worked so well with Dobbs this season. If Debord is indeed the guy, it sounds like he'd merely be the caretaker for executing Jones' vision. Bajakian wasn't anything special as a play caller, so as long as we keep the same system we'll be fine.

Asked about mentors. Mentions Gruden, Manning, .... and DeBord.

This fact tells us that Butch got sound advice from these folks, including DeBord about what qualities our new OC needs to have. Butch told us what these qualities are:
1. We are looking to bring in an individual who can elevate our staff and someone who is a fit.(read in - bring in a new guy and not promote from within)
2. We want an individual who can call plays. We want someone who might have coached multiple positions. Creativeness, energy. (Read in - experienced OC)
3. We can’t go backwards and spend time installing a new system. (Read in here - no Debord pro style offense)

So Butch is going to hire an experienced successful OC from outside our current staff, that has run our brand of spread offence. Sounds like he has four interested qualified candidates he plans to interview and then will pick the best of the four. Butch also said he is humbled by the response to the coaches that have shown interest in this position.

RELAX VOLNATION! Butch will indeed hire the right guy and the best guy for TN football!!!

He said he wants someone who has experience coaching multiple positions and who can enhance the offense without changing it fundamentally.

That, along with the comments about finding the right fit with the staff, screams DeBord to me.

If that's the case then I don't see Butch as our guy to take us back to greatness. Oh well.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back