Butch to Talk on OC Serach

Such a weak interview. Looks like he was indirectly trying to explain why he will hire DeBord. Not exactly reassuring.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Fulmer probably told him that not hiring DeBord killed his own career.

a far superior hire than Clawson--but that was, what, several or more years ago when UT ran a traditional pro style offense. College offenses have changed a TON since then. I mean, why would you bring in a career pro-style guy (who hasn't coached in a while) to run a different system?

@Vol_Football: JONES on @FootballScoop Radio: We are looking to bring in an individual who can elevate our staff and someone who is a fit.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want an individual who can call plays. We want someone who might have coached multiple positions. Creativeness, energy.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We are not looking for an overhaul, we are looking to enhance our system and continue to grow it.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We can’t go backwards and spend time installing a new system.

@Vol_Football: JONES: It is a great profession. With the younger guys on our staff, it is our duty to enhance their positions. Constantly educate them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want individuals who are dedicated to this sport. We have heavily involve our quality control & grad assts. I’m grateful for them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: Phillip Fulmer, Jon Gruden, Peyton Manning have been great resources during this coordinator search.

Butch said all the right things but now let's see if he can do all the right things. I feel bad for not trusting him but I'm not gonna go full "I trust Butch" until after this hire. DeBord is still in town and now the feel is he was just a consultant.

Reactions: 5 people
Butch is going to have to spin this hire a lot and it's going to put some added pressure on him heading into 2015.

Personally, I don't mind the hire at all, and I actually think it could work out very well, especially if DeBord is capable of improving the OL and red zone TD percentage.

But most people are going to hate it and won't stop hating it unless we start off the season with a win over OU or UF.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch is going to have to spin this hire a lot and it's going to put some added pressure on him heading into 2015.

Personally, I don't mind the hire at all, and I actually think it could work out very well, especially if DeBord is capable of improving the OL and red zone TD percentage.

But most people are going to hate it and won't stop hating it unless we start off the season with a win over OU or UF.

For me, can we really take this kind of risk with a guy out of football for 2 years and hasn't called plays in 8? The risk reward is out of whack and I don't think we can afford to lose CZA.

Reactions: 1 person
Azzani's done both...but I agree.

I don't. CBJ isn't exactly the best information giver out there and tends to hold things close to the vest. But with Azzani, he doesn't have to change anything with the offense, there is no need for someone to get up to speed at such a critical time in the program and he's already part of the family. And like you said, he's got OC experience.

I'd say there's even money chance Coach Z gets the nod and they find a QB coach that "fits." But honestly, trying to make anything out of what Butch says is futile. He will keep this close in until it's announced.

@Vol_Football: JONES on @FootballScoop Radio: We are looking to bring in an individual who can elevate our staff and someone who is a fit.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want an individual who can call plays. We want someone who might have coached multiple positions. Creativeness, energy.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We are not looking for an overhaul, we are looking to enhance our system and continue to grow it.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We can’t go backwards and spend time installing a new system.

@Vol_Football: JONES: It is a great profession. With the younger guys on our staff, it is our duty to enhance their positions. Constantly educate them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: We want individuals who are dedicated to this sport. We have heavily involve our quality control & grad assts. I’m grateful for them.

@Vol_Football: JONES: Phillip Fulmer, Jon Gruden, Peyton Manning have been great resources during this coordinator search.

Butch said all the right things but now let's see if he can do all the right things. I feel bad for not trusting him but I'm not gonna go full "I trust Butch" until after this hire. DeBord is still in town and now the feel is he was just a consultant.

CBJ also mentioned recruiting and he must have said "fit" 10 times in the interview..... Surprised that they did not ask about interview with DeBord.... was very generic and soft interview in my opinion.

I dont have a good feeling after that Jones segment - unfortunately I think Jones may have hired DeBored all ready. I hope it isn't so. The guys has not recruited a high school in over years nor has he coached college football in over seven years..........

VN Store

Back