Butch to be Bama WR coach [Rumor]

Had a friend who played at Bama tell me Butch will be WR coach. Beat out some nfl guy. SIAP. Hope so. The curse is real. He will have Saban looking like Boss Hog before long.
quoting Butch,"Hey, we may not have caught the ball but we sure have caught the championships of life." Ba ha ha ha

Josh Dobbs, Alvin Kamara, Preston Williams, Derek Barnett, Shy Tuttle, Kyle Phillips, Jauan Jennings, Josh Malone, etc, etc.

I know people like to beat the "he wasn't a good recruiter" drum, but the evidence for that argument is pretty lacking. The 2015 team had more talent than arguably any team since that 2001 team that almost played in the National Title game.

You can say Butch was bad at coaching, player development, X's and O's, player retention, practices, management style, feeling secure about himself, player evaluation, and about a dozen other things, but his track record at recruiting is pretty good.

With a good coaching staff, that 2015 team wins the SEC.

Jason Carr, Austin Sanders, Alphonso Carter, AJ Branisel, Malik Brown, Riyahd Jones, Woody Quinn, Dillon Bates, Derrell Scott, Dontavius Blair, D’Andre Payne, Charles Moseley, Michael Sawyers, Joe Henderson, Trayvon Paulk, Coleman Thomas, Neiko Creamer, Ray Raulerson, Kahlil McKenzie, Drew Richmond, Sheriron Jones, Justin Martin, Andrew Butcher, Austin Smith, Kyle Oliver, Darrell Miller, Jocquez Bruce, Joe Young, Jonathan Kongbo, Tyler Byrd, Jeff George, DJ Henderson, Ja’Quain Blakeley, Austin Pope, Devante Brooks, Latrell Williams, Jeremy Lewis, Corey Henderson, Eric Crosby, Terrell Bailey, Solon Page, Trey Coleman, Shawn Shamburger, James Brown, etc, etc....

You named 8 guys, I named 44. Some of these guys have played a lot, some of them very little, some none at all, some transferred.....some are still on the team that had to play last year under a different staff and looked MAC/OVC conference level bad despite playing for what we all believe is an excellent teaching staff.

There’s no doubt that Jones and staff were poor at player development. It’s well documented and widely accepted. But the evidence shows that Jones was an average recruiter at best who was primarily only interested in star ratings when recruiting players, not fit or other intangibles.

Btw, if Jones was a great recruiter, then so was Dooley.....they each had an average recruiting class ranking of 13th in the country during their time here.

Finally, there’s a reason why we only had 2 players drafted (late rounds) last year and will have none this year....Jones wasn’t a great recruiter at all.

Last edited:
I just want to know who really cares about this at all

Threads like this one, or any number of others that are started such as, "Tennessee admin not committed to winning", or "we never try to hire a proven coach ", and a personal favorite, "Tennessee doesn't want to spend the money to hire a homerun hire", are going to keep popping up. It doesn't do any good to make statements such as "let it go" or "move on". It's the off season, I suggest you not click on them.

1ze88y.jpg

Jason Carr, Austin Sanders, Alphonso Carter, AJ Branisel, Malik Brown, Riyahd Jones, Woody Quinn, Dillon Bates, Derrell Scott, Dontavius Blair, D’Andre Payne, Charles Moseley, Michael Sawyers, Joe Henderson, Trayvon Paulk, Coleman Thomas, Neiko Creamer, Ray Raulerson, Kahlil McKenzie, Drew Richmond, Sheriron Jones, Justin Martin, Andrew Butcher, Austin Smith, Kyle Oliver, Darrell Miller, Jocquez Bruce, Joe Young, Jonathan Kongbo, Tyler Byrd, Jeff George, DJ Henderson, Ja’Quain Blakeley, Austin Pope, Devante Brooks, Latrell Williams, Jeremy Lewis, Corey Henderson, Eric Crosby, Terrell Bailey, Solon Page, Trey Coleman, Shawn Shamburger, James Brown, etc, etc....

You named 8 guys, I named 44. Some of these guys have played a lot, some of them very little, some none at all, some transferred.....some are still on the team that had to play last year under a different staff and looked MAC/OVC conference level bad despite playing for what we all believe is an excellent teaching staff.

There’s no doubt that Jones and staff were poor at player development. It’s well documented and widely accepted. But the evidence shows that Jones was an average recruiter at best who was primarily only interested in star ratings when recruiting players, not fit or other intangibles.

Btw, if Jones was a great recruiter, then so was Dooley.....they each had an average recruiting class ranking of 13th in the country during their time here.

Finally, there’s a reason why we only had 2 players drafted (late rounds) last year and will have none this year....Jones wasn’t a great recruiter at all.

You may be surprised. We could have someone drafted. Players are drafted every draft based on their talent and not college performance
Daniel McCullers, Kahlil MC. Was drafted out of his college position. Antonio Gates was a college basketball player, not football. Renaldo Neimia was an Olympic sprinter and was drafted by 49ers.
Shy will likely be drafted late.

Agree. Butch did a good job rebuilding the program back to respectability. But once he got competitive, he realized this job was bigger than he was. Choked in game decisions repeatedly, didn’t recognize what was needed to win in thes SEC and basically gave the team to the players. Program sank in a matter of weeks.

Butch did a damn good job bringing in recruits. Bad thing was he was better at running players off. Eventually, he was turning a million in real estate into 25 dollars cash.

Pruitt would have gotten Trevor Lawrence and Higgins to come to Tennessee.

I will try to believe that when you can show me a player he brings in mildly comparable to Lawrence. I personally feel he is, if he stays healthy and doesn't pull a Ryan Leaf, on his way to being the greatest QB of all time. Hate to say it, but not walking into this train wreck is the smartest move he could have made.

Reactions: WhitewaterVol

This still doesn’t answer why anyone wants to continue to talk about Butch effing Jones. Dude was a tool who screwed the program yet people still want to talk about him like he’s relevant to Tennessee fans. News flash- No one gives a flying F about jones or where he’s headed.

Jesus, can you people not just let this go? Our fan base is as fickle as it comes. LET IT GO!
Maybe when we get back to winning. The current status of the program is DIRECTLY tied to Butch. How about just let General Neyland go? Let 1998 go? Just let go any expectation based on the past. Let’s all pretend that what happened over 5 years of garbage coaching didn’t happen and forget that the worst two years in the history of the program aren’t due to one Lyle Jones.

Get over it.
Hell, we still have threads about King Johnny and Phil and you expect people to never mention the wreckage that Butch left just a year ago?
Stop lecturing people.

The butch magic is starting to work for Bama hopefully it will take effect more and more the longer he stays.

Reactions: AM64
BOL reporting Butch to stay at Bama. WR coach would seem like the obvious job, byt he's coached most offensive positions.

This still doesn’t answer why anyone wants to continue to talk about Butch effing Jones. Dude was a tool who screwed the program yet people still want to talk about him like he’s relevant to Tennessee fans. News flash- No one gives a flying F about jones or where he’s headed.

You do realize, that every time you post on this Butch thread, you are bumping it? Oh look, I did it also. If you don’t like the subject, plenty of other topics to click on.

Reactions: lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back