Butch Jones

he could take a head coaching job for the same 35k. would meet the contract and not help UT out at all.

as VolGee4 pointed out, I think it was him, UT was the first one to break contract.

He couldn't actually. There's language in his contract stating that he can't take a job with a lower salary, to intentionally keep UT paying higher liquidated damages.

He couldn't actually. There's language in his contract stating that he can't take a job with a lower salary, to intentionally keep UT paying higher liquidated damages.
Plenty of jobs (pretty much all of them) are inherently lower paying than the SEC. No way to know if his pay is the best he could get.

Plenty of jobs (pretty much all of them) are inherently lower paying than the SEC. No way to know if his pay is the best he could get.

You cannot take a job with a new school, and intentionally backload your contract, or take a lower salary for the specific purpose of making UT continue to pay liquidated damages. If Butch got hire by Rutgers, he could not agree to take a $100k/year salary and keep UT paying liquidated damages.

UT had grounds to sue Warren and Scott for doing so.
Florida structures deals for Larry Scott, Charlton Warren to keep bulk of salary onus on UT for ’18 | USA TODAY Sports

Weren’t many fans here mad that another coach was using “brick by brick” when Butch was here, maybe Minnesota?

Yep pretty much the same scenario. Arkansas said he was in breach of contract for not actually looking for a comparable job, and unilaterally stopped paying him.
Butch has looked for a comparable job. He just hasn't accepted an offer if one was made. I think there's some questions also about what the Pats are paying Bielama as defensive line coach. Rumor they were paying him way under market for a position coach because of his buyout.

Last edited:
Butch has looked for a comparable job. He just hasn't accepted an offer if one was made. I think there's some questions also about what the Pats are paying Bielama as defensive line coach. Rumor they were paying him way under market for a position coach because of his buyout.

Yeah, choosing to be a coffee getter is not fulfilling his obligation to 'mitigate the responsibility of UT to pay liquidated damages'.

He can choose to stay a coffee-getter at Alabama, but UT should not have to pay him liquidated damages if that is his choice. Stop paying him, make him file suite and prove that he is unemployable as a HC or assistant; bet he finds a real position in no time if UT were to stop paying him.

Reactions: 508mikey
Yeah, choosing to be a coffee getter is not fulfilling his obligation to 'mitigate the responsibility of UT to pay liquidated damages'.

He can choose to stay a coffee-getter at Alabama, but UT should not have to pay him liquidated damages if that is his choice. Stop paying him, make him file suite and prove that he is unemployable as a HC or assistant; bet he finds a real position in no time if UT were to stop paying him.
If it were that easy I imagine they would have done so. This was all debated a page or so ago, but he has to make a good faith effort. I'd think that means putting in for some jobs or doing interviews for coach positions at other schools. He's done that. I don't think they can force him to accept a job though. Maybe the wife or kids have a medical issue and there's a doctor they like nearby. Maybe they don't want to move the kids across country.

I agree I'm pretty sure he's just chilling and has little interest in taking a real coaching job for now. But I'd guess so far he's meeting his obligations.

VN Store

Back