Butch Jones

It is very strange that UTK has not taken some action alleging willful underemployment. This was one of the key clauses in Butch's contract. In fact, few if any of the superagents will sign off on mitigation clauses anymore. Either Butch has major dirt on some very important Vols, or the school is overly concerned about the perception of litigating a buyout which is something they really shouldn't be worried about unless they think they'll be trying to make a hire sometime soon.
It’s all about perception. Terrible look for the University to go after him. All it will do is hurt us down the road.

Reactions: Boca Vol and McDad
After last year's cigar video, very distasteful, can't wait till he moves back north. Thinking this will he last year at Bama...any longer probably not good for his resume.

If you had to pick one?
Butch Jones or Greg Schiano
Butch.

Butch actually did win 8 regular season games twice at Tennessee. Went to 3 bowls in 5 years, won them all rather convincingly. Finished in the top 25 twice, got as high as #9 one year. Recruited well on paper. I'm not sure Schiano would be able to do any of that at Tennessee.

Butch.

Butch actually did win 8 regular season games twice at Tennessee. Went to 3 bowls in 5 years, won them all rather convincingly. Finished in the top 25 twice, got as high as #9 one year. Recruited well on paper. I'm not sure Schiano would be able to do any of that at Tennessee.

And as much as it sucked, we were in the driver's seat for the SEC East; and that's the closest to winning the East we'd come since 2007. And even after losing to SC we had a sure spot in the Sugar Bowl lined up...before we lost to Vandy. I'm not defending him because I was no Butch fan but if he'd gone at least 7-5 in 2017 he'd likey have gotten a Year 6.

And as much as it sucked, we were in the driver's seat for the SEC East; and that's the closest to winning the East we'd come since 2007. And even after losing to SC we had a sure spot in the Sugar Bowl lined up...before we lost to Vandy. I'm not defending him because I was no Butch fan but if he'd gone at least 7-5 in 2017 he'd likey have gotten a Year 6.
Yep. There were 3 games that could have gone either way that year - Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky. If he won those, he would have stayed. Of course we could have easily lost to Georgia Tech.

Reactions: Volatility

I think if Butch had just made a bowl at 6-6 in 2017, he would’ve gotten a year 6. Currie was not interested in making a coaching change in year 1 of his new tenure. Ultimately, that was his downfall too.

I think if Butch had just made a bowl at 6-6 in 2017, he would’ve gotten a year 6. Currie was not interested in making a coaching change in year 1 of his new tenure. Ultimately, that was his downfall too.

Probably. I still think Dooley would have gotten Year 4 if he had won 6 in 2012. The collapse against Mizzou sealed his fate. I mean he could have beaten Vandy but Vandy was legit better than us that year.

Probably. I still think Dooley would have gotten Year 4 if he had won 6 in 2012. The collapse against Mizzou sealed his fate. I mean he could have beaten Vandy but Vandy was legit better than us that year.

If Wilcox never left for Washington, we’d probably had been looking at a 7-9 win season. Him leaving and Dooley’s hiring of Sunseri was the beginning of the end.

If that domino doesn’t happen, Dooley gets another season, we never hire Butch in 2012, and the program would look a lot different right now.

If Wilcox never left for Washington, we’d probably had been looking at a 7-9 win season. Him leaving and Dooley’s hiring of Sunseri was the beginning of the end.

If that domino doesn’t happen, Dooley gets another season, we never hire Butch in 2012, and the program would look a lot different right now.
Yep. Dooley was not a good coach, but a competent defense absolutely keeps him on for 2013. If he could have stopped a nosebleed we beat Georgia, Miss St, and South Carolina (all ranked teams) that year. He recruited so poorly I don't know how much longer it would have lasted though.

Reactions: Volatility
Butch will coach again. He’s a MAC/Conference USA/AAC or Sun Belt type of coach. Lord knows the talent he left us is too.
I actually think Butch could get a low/mid tier P5 job most likely in the PAC12, B1G, or ACC. An Oregon State, Indiana, Illinois , or BC type gig. I think his greatest strength is promoting and coaching with a chip on his shoulder. He gets a lot out of players who are 2 and 3 stars and coaches down the elite players. He doesn’t manage them well IMO.

If I had one landing spot that I think would be perfect for Jones it would be Georgia Tech. They won’t get the elite UGA recruits, but there’s enough talent to go around that he could sell Atlanta and the education. Add in the fact that the Coastal is terrible and that’s a recipe for success if he learned a thing or 2 from Saban and his mistakes here.

Reactions: headhunter15
I actually think Butch could get a low/mid tier P5 job most likely in the PAC12, B1G, or ACC. An Oregon State, Indiana, Illinois , or BC type gig. I think his greatest strength is promoting and coaching with a chip on his shoulder. He gets a lot out of players who are 2 and 3 stars and coaches down the elite players. He doesn’t manage them well IMO.

If I had one landing spot that I think would be perfect for Jones it would be Georgia Tech. They won’t get the elite UGA recruits, but there’s enough talent to go around that he could sell Atlanta and the education. Add in the fact that the Coastal is terrible and that’s a recipe for success if he learned a thing or 2 from Saban and his mistakes here.
I'm not sure. Say he went to a place like Illinois. Lovie Smith is probably going to be fired during or after this season, so we know that going 4-26 in conference play over 3+ years makes you feel heat there. Perhaps I'm underestimating, but I have serious doubts if Butch would be much better at Illinois than Lovie Smith. Butch might have 6 or 7 conference victories over 3+ years instead of 4, but that wouldn't get him into a bowl.

Butch needs to land at a place where he can out-recruit rivals because he can't coach. He can't out-recruit his rivals at places like Illinois, Indiana, Oregon St, Boston College, or Georgia Tech. He could do that at a mid-major program - he's done it before. He's shown he can have championship teams at the mid-major level, and he'd probably be a really good FCS or Division II coach.

I have always agreed with this. I also felt that Bray and Co laid down on him on that game.

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back