Butch Jones 10 Years as HC

Do your thing man, its 18 year old kids playing a game so it doesn't effect me at all. I love Tennessee sports...all of them, but I keep them in perspective. Our team is probably not going to be that good next year, so I don't post about mythological undefeated seasons every year as to add to the laughing stock that is our fan base that is a national punchline of "next year is finally our year." If you want to, knock yourself out, but don't expect others to follow suit.

That's debatable. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Yep....FL (our rival) didn't tolerate Zook....and I believe he went bowling every yr also.

When standards get lowered....mediocrity will conquer.

The "at least he ain't Dooley" still isn't good enough for long term. That's getting UT out of the very bottom back to the middle. Room to move up and what we've witnessed last 2 yrs....Until he proves it..I don't have any blind faith in CBJ.

Jibberish.

Perhaps...he definitely inherited a train wreck in terms of talent...he's signed a lot of talent to get the base talent level up to SEC level...next guy in could be like Mac down at Florida...he has thrived on muschamps recruits.
is that really why Mac has thrived? or could it be attributed to the debacles that surround him in the East?

nature vs. nurture at it's best. i think the environment he finds himself in definitely contributed to his "success".
IMO, it is a problem that we still have so many "maybes" heading into a HC's 5th year.
this. as you go back to the beginning of thread, the problem is, has been, and will continue to be, that for every stat or record someone wants to put up showing positives on his resume, there's an equal amount of negatives.

there's an "if" or "but" for everyone, on both sides of this debate, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the problem. none of those stats/records are false, good or bad.

so it will continue until......

is that really why Mac has thrived? or could it be attributed to the debacles that surround him in the East?

nature vs. nurture at it's best. i think the environment he finds himself in definitely contributed to his "success".

this. as you go back to the beginning of thread, the problem is, has been, and will continue to be, that for every stat or record someone wants to put up showing positives on his resume, there's an equal amount of negatives.

there's an "if" or "but" for everyone, on both sides of this debate, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the problem. none of those stats/records are false, good or bad.

so it will continue until......

Wonder why CBJ cant thrive in the debacle that surrounds him in the East or is he part of the decable? Lets also not forget that MAC does have a win against a west team as part of winning the east, something we cant seem to attain.

I don't know of anyone who doesn't understand that the team played horrible that game. The coaches were bad that game. Where do we take this from here or are you just bringing up past games to remind everyone we lost?

When people make cases for Jones to be better next season the response fits. If he can't prep and keep the team focused why should we expect anything different?

If you only see problems with CBJs coaching in the losses to Vandy and USCe, then that's part of the problem.

CBJ and staff struggled to have the team ready to play for 4 quarters every game this past season. We struggled to beat App State, and literally needed luck in their poor kicking and in Hurd's fumble recovery to not lose that game. Ohio, we let them hang around threatening to upset us until the end of the fourth quarter. That's not just a 1 or 2 game problem. The lack of preparation killed us once we had injuries to deal with as well, because we no longer had raw talent to bail us out.

Butch has retained coaches who have year in and year out underperformed, and whose units have even regressed. But we are supposed to believe that those same coaches, are going to take team 121 and somehow do more with less?

I am inclined to agree with you. However, the first three years under CBJ, we didn't see what we saw last year. If anything, I was always proud that CBJ had his team ready to play every week even early when they didn't have the talent needed to fully compete.

Something went astray with team 120. There's plenty of stuff that has leaked out that gives us fodder to speculate what it was. and, I agree before you say it that it's CBJ's responsibility to make sure things don't go astray. But, the penalties, lack of focus, etc. that we saw this year was not what we generally saw the first three years.

If it is possible to isolate and correct whatever it was that spoiled the barrel in 2016, I think they can put a very competitive football team on the field in 2017 and have a legit chance to take the east. If he cannot do that, I believe the "fahr Butch" bandwagon will exceed its GVWR.

Do your thing man, its 18 year old kids playing a game so it doesn't effect me at all. I love Tennessee sports...all of them, but I keep them in perspective. Our team is probably not going to be that good next year, so I don't post about mythological undefeated seasons every year as to add to the laughing stock that is our fan base that is a national punchline of "next year is finally our year." If you want to, knock yourself out, but don't expect others to follow suit.

"They" who would characterize Tennessee fans as a laughingstock don't matter. Only we matter. Inside jokes are for insiders. "They" aren't meant to get it.

In sooth, I do not expect team 121 to go undefeated, win the SEC, and be crowned national champs. The value of any such revery is to balance the inner tilt from despair. To remind ourselves that CFB's eternal hopefulness is purposeful and valuable.

No, I do not expect others to follow suit (some would be better served by doing so). I cajole. I do not command. I am not severe as you are now, and if I may distract from severity for a moment, then, by my revery, I do serve. :hi:

"They" who would characterize Tennessee fans as a laughingstock don't matter. Only we matter. Inside jokes are for insiders. "They" aren't meant to get it.

In sooth, I do not expect team 121 to go undefeated, win the SEC, and be crowned national champs. The value of any such revery is to balance the inner tilt from despair. To remind ourselves that CFB's eternal hopefulness is purposeful and valuable.

No, I do not expect others to follow suit (some would be better served by doing so). I cajole. I do not command. I am not severe as you are now, and if I may distract from severity for a moment, then, by my revery, I do serve. :hi:
How come people get so offended by Champions of Life as an "inside joke."

When people make cases for Jones to be better next season the response fits. If he can't prep and keep the team focused why should we expect anything different?

The biggest concern about Butch is that if he could not get it done (win the historically weak east) with the talent he had gathered during his first 2 years (top 5 classes, but could not get it done after 3-4 years of having those players in his program), why should anyone realistically expect he will do better few years from now when his most recent classes have fallen out of top 10? I mean, its possible he will do better (anything is possible), but highly unlikely given that some or our east rivals (ie UGA) are now competing with Bama for the #1 recruiting class.

How come people get so offended by Champions of Life as an "inside joke."

I don't think anybody is offended. It's just been droned on and on. Jokes are intended to be funny and this was mocked on the networks, so I don't see how it's "inside"'

Wonder why CBJ cant thrive in the debacle that surrounds him in the East or is he part of the decable? Lets also not forget that MAC does have a win against a west team as part of winning the east, something we cant seem to attain.

You didn't ask me, but I'll give my 2 cents. As best as I can and it'll probably get twisted somehow.

I didn't like the Butch hire. I didn't even know who he was. After some research, I really didn't like it , but.....what could I do? Support the HC of the Volunteers.

This is just my opinion. Period.

I think Butch was just about to get in his "groove " at Cincy. Maybe not a championship groove, but being really good in the conference.

Then he got thrown to the wolves. Replacing Dooley, in the SEC, at one of the "premier" programs in the SEC and arguably, the Nation. Facing Saban every season. The mess of our Athletic Dept. That's a lot.

Is he capable to overcome all of that? Doubt it. But, who really knows? I don't make excuses for him, there has to be reasons and I would like to figure out what those are.

Trying to keep it short, whatever it is with Butch, If he doesn't figure out how to correct whatever it is and get to Atlanta this season, I'll be ready to let him go figure it out somewhere else. Don't care what his record is or how he gets there.

If I seem to have contradicted myself in any way, before coming to a conclusion and judging me, please just ask me to better explain.

Last edited:
The biggest concern about Butch is that if he could not get it done (win the historically weak east) with the talent he had gathered during his first 2 years (top 5 classes, but could not get it done after 3-4 years of having those players in his program), why should anyone realistically expect he will do better few years from now when his most recent classes have fallen out of top 10? I mean, its possible he will do better (anything is possible), but highly unlikely given that some or our east rivals (ie UGA) are now competing with Bama for the #1 recruiting class.

They shouldn't.

But, that won't stop them from jumping through hoops to do so, all the while calling you, and the ones like you, the problem.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think anybody is offended. It's just been droned on and on. Jokes are intended to be funny and this was mocked on the networks, so I don't see how it's "inside"'

Thanks for proving my point. Next year is our year, is a national punchline. Its not an inside joke like he claims, just like COL.

Thanks for proving my point. Next year is our year, is a national punchline. Its not an inside joke like he claims, just like COL.

What?

I've only seen that used as a punchline by you and a couple of others, here, on Volnation.

And, "we" aren't the only fan base that have used it.

because WE'RE part of the debacle. you can take that however once sees fit. but i think you know what i mean.

true, but again, timing is everything....pun intended.

You didn't ask me, but I'll give my 2 cents. As best as I can and it'll probably get twisted somehow.

I didn't like the Butch hire. I didn't even know who he was. After some research, I really didn't like it , but.....what could I do? Support the HC of the Volunteers.

This is just my opinion. Period.

I think Butch was just about to get in his "groove " at Cincy. Maybe not a championship groove, but being really good in the conference.

Then he got thrown to the wolves. Replacing Dooley, in the SEC, at one of the "premier" programs in the SEC and arguably, the Nation. Facing Saban every season. The mess of our Athletic Dept. That's a lot.

Is he capable to overcome all of that? Doubt it. But, who really knows? I don't make excuses for him, there has to be reasons and I would like to figure out what those are.

Trying to keep it short, whatever it is with Butch, If he doesn't figure out how to correct whatever it is and get to Atlanta this season, I'll be ready to let him go figure it out somewhere else. Don't care what his record is or how he gets there.

If I seem to have contradicted myself in any way, before coming to a conclusion and judging me, please just ask me to better explain.
please do. he was in Boulder about to accept that job, in the cushy pac 12 north. then decided to accept the TN job, so i am curious what you mean by "thrown to the wolves"....as if he were forced at gunpoint to take this job? i know you didn't say that...embellishing for effect.

The miserable will not be pulled from the tide pool of their despondency. They will not show courtesy to those who do not care to bathe in anguish. Rather, they will mischaracterize what is said by those with "dry feet" and wits to match, and they will attribute to them that which hasn't been expressed.

Wallow away, volfannbama. When you take a break from blowing bubbles, you may just discover that disagreement doesn't equate with disrespect.

The past does give reason to believe that 121 can have a better year than 120.

The way we responded to the adversity in App St game the same goes for VTech, Fl and Ga.

119 had trouble finishing games while 120 seemed to struggle getting things going but once they did it was impressive.

Being favored in so many games may have made them overconfident. When JJ said he knew he was gonna catch the Hail Mary for the win is an indication that he was confident in his training along with the training of others.

Travis Stephens has posted about the 2001 team being confident about getting the win against LSU in the SECCG, even when we were down there was no panic at the same time it was like their sense of urgency wasn't there either. We all know how that ended, the clock ran out and we had fewer points and lost the game.

To panic is bad but the lack of a high sense of urgency is just as bad if not worse.

It appeared that the game plans for 120 offense included running base plays early to see how our opponents would defend them and then adjust as needed. Next thing you know even the inferior teams would gain confidence and from then on it was a dog fight to the end.

Against SC and Vandy we looked more like 119 having a good start with a poor finish.

CBJ has said he wants the team to play with passion and not emotion. To play with emotion can be a good thing as long as it doesn't interfere with a players assignments or create penalties due to losing one's cool.

Now is the time to put together complete games against quality competition.

Get it together Butch!

The miserable will not be pulled from the tide pool of their despondency. They will not show courtesy to those who do not care to bathe in anguish. Rather, they will mischaracterize what is said by those with "dry feet" and wits to match, and they will attribute to them that which hasn't been expressed.

Wallow away, volfannbama. When you take a break from blowing bubbles, you may just discover that disagreement doesn't equate with disrespect.

Did my safe space comment get reported..lol

VN Store

Back