Butch Jones 10 Years as HC

Is he not 2 and 1 against Franklin?

Edit: my bad he's 1-1

He didn't just lose to Franklin. That makes it sound respectable. He lost to Franklin at VANDERBILT. That's like losing a fight when your opponent has one arm tied to his opposite foot and is blind and deaf.

Reactions: 1 person
Unfortunately the only thing that matters is wins and losses. We abandoned moral victories when we fired Dooley. Sure we are better off than we were before because we had literally the worst football coach in history. We've gone from being utterly terrible to being slightly less utterly terrible. People in the public and other coaches are no longer looking at Butch as the savior of Tennessee. He's viewed as an underachiever and simply "the coach that came after Dooley". I believe this program is already stagnant as proven by our last two recruiting classes and also the results on the field. We have already see the beat football CBJ will be able to achieve at Tennessee. He was excellent at selling hype like a used car salesman but no one believes it anymore. There have been coaches with much better resumes and tons more achievements that have lost their jobs. Jones is nothing special in the coaching ranks. He is very much replaceable and Tennessee would not miss a beat.

This pretty much says that you don't know 1 damn collegiate coach. I wouldn't count a few redneck posters as any kind of a trend that fans are abandoning ship. You really think too much of yourself.

Reactions: 3 people
Lol, you the only one allowed to joke with anyone on here? Been married a long time, to a very successful women. All good man, you can head back to your feminist march anytime.

Your idea of a joke is to slight someone else. Pretty much places you squarely in the prepubescent phase.

Reactions: 3 people
I wonder if Butch actually knows how stubborn he is and accepts it as a problem, and is aware of his annoying habit of manufacturing cliches.

Yeah we already know what you think. Same ole ****.

Its not what I think, its what I know to be true. You are throwing out complete shots in the dark hoping it makes CBJ look better than what he is and don't know how to handle factual information that doesn't favor your opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder if Butch actually knows how stubborn he is and accepts it as a problem, and is aware of his annoying habit of manufacturing cliches.

Sidebar: Does Butch manufacture cliches, or has he stored them in memory, retrieving and repeating them ad nauseam?

So a coach's last two years dont count? Wtf is that kind of thinking?

They count but you don't get the same credit if you beat a great warrier in his prime, as opposed to finishing him off when he is on his death bed. If you look at many other great coaches you see the same type of drop-off during their advanced years (Paterno, Bowden, Holtz, etc). We started to see some of that drop-off with Fulmer as well (although I would argue even at his worst he was still far better than anyone we hired after him).

To pose it another way, Butch Jones is to cliches as Francis Collins is to Bible verses?

This pretty much says that you don't know 1 damn collegiate coach. I wouldn't count a few redneck posters as any kind of a trend that fans are abandoning ship. You really think too much of yourself.

You have clearly been agitated by other posters and you are so whipped up that you aren't making sense anymore. Try and lay down for a bit and maybe have a ginger ale.

Reactions: 4 people
They count but you don't get the same credit if you beat a great warrier in his prime, as opposed to finishing him off when he is on his death bed. If you look at many other great coaches you see the same type of drop-off during their advanced years (Paterno, Bowden, Holtz, etc). We started to see some of that drop-off with Fulmer as well (although I would argue even at his worst he was still far better than anyone we hired after him).
Tennessee has always been good against coaches near death. Not so much against new coaches.

...have a ginger ale.

31Kyr5H4EvL.jpg

?

It's safe to say we already know what most think. There have been changes made to the staff, I wonder if those changes will have any influence on how some feel about CBJ and his chances of improving.

I doubt it. Some have been dead set against him from day one. His staff hires the last two seasons, to me anyways, makes the stubborn comments sound like reaching for straws. Firing guys that you have been friends with for years for the good of Tennessee hasn't gone unnoticed by many of us. I think the hires are great ones. For example the QB coach will open doors in Texas, the DB coach will open more in Georgia while having Scott as OC will help us even more in Florida. So yeah I see what Butch is doing and agree.

Stubborn? You say stubborn, CBJ says resilient.

Being resilient isn't a problem it's the solution.

The problem seems to be sense of urgency, lack of focus at critical times(when the ball is in the air or getting the snap count right),talent gap, ball security, consistency, and being injury prone.

For all the changes CBJ has made, for whatever reason, he has kept adjusting. OC changes, the DC change and S&C changes have been made.

120 was a flawed team that as good as they were they still would goof up at the worst times and seemed to take turns at the goofs.

Inconsistent best describes 120. That was what CBJ harped on his 1st year until even I got tired of hearing about who was practicing and playing in a consistent manner. The consistent brick got left behind by 120. The brick by brick process doesn't allow for established bricks to get tossed aside once a new brick is introduced.

Rock needs to put an edge on 121.

Release the Beast!

Butch can reel of cliches like teenage girls recite lyrics. It's eerie and a little hypnotic.

Q: Hey, Butch. How's the weather?
CBJ: The sun never sets on Tennessee spirit. Rain, snow, sunshine, freezing cold or hot & humid, Volunteers play to win. Every day. Every play. Every possession. Every game. All season long.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back