BTO’s Kentucky Postgame Report

I think this game was primarily point number 1 combined with our turnovers. Was also a bit puzzled that we continued to press them all game. It’s worked for most teams this year with zzz and chandler but not sure you can do that against the athletes Uk has.

Bright side was offense looked a lot better, thought we moved the ball and penetrated well which led to a better 3 point %. Also, good to get some of the freshman some playing time even in Mop up duty. This freshman class looks really good if we can get these guys to stick around for a few years.

Who is this teams leader? Not sure we have one which is a major problem. BHH needs more minutes and Fulky needs to sit Until he is either healthy or ready to contribute.No excuse for Zero rebounds for Fulky and ON today.

Rebounding is about positioning, having a feel for where the ball is coming off the rim and desire. We have low volume rebounders.

Team got destroyed because ky shot the ball crazy good. It happens, but very rarely at the rate today. We shouldn’t over analyze our D from this game alone. We can however analyze our complete lack of scoring from our post guys, lack of blocking out for rebounds, fumbling the ball away, and making poor effort
So if you hold a team to 40 points it's elite defense, but if they put up 100 it's just great shooting. U guys. We gave up 27 points in transition and lost by 28. Wake up.

Reactions: Big time vol
So if you hold a team to 40 points it's elite defense, but if they put up 100 it's just great shooting. U guys. We gave up 27 points in transition and lost by 28. Wake up.

It was the only game all year giving up 80 or more. Or more. Or more.

1. Some days/nights you just run into a team that can’t miss and there’s really not any chance no matter what buttons you pressed as a coach that you were going to win, today seemed like one of those. We have done it to other teams as well, we beat a good Kentucky team 2 years ago by 20 in TBA, they went on to get a 2 seed and make the Elite 8. This game doesn’t mean a ton as a whole, it sucks and was embarrassing, but as long as you can move past and it not let it effect the rest of the season it is what it is.

2. Now, with Kentucky shooting that way as I already said I don’t think anything would’ve mattered, but our defensive strategy and performance is mind boggling, especially considering we are a good team. We pressed up on their guards (a couple of which who aren’t good shooters) and seemingly challenged them to beat us off the dribble which they did routinely, and then didn’t bother sending any help at all, which resulted in a huge number of great paint looks, which typically are high % shots. That got them confidence, they started hitting 3’s on top of it, and we gift wrapper quite a few fastbreak points for them with turnovers, bad recipe.

3. On a positive note, the offense looked much better today, the best it has looked in awhile. If you’d have told me we’d score 79 points on 53%fg and 48% from deep I would’ve been really pretty confident we win that game, and if you said it was a blowout I would’ve assumed we were blowing them out. Powell looked like he was being a bit more aggressive out there, James shot well from deep along with Chandler & Vescovi, offensively you are pretty happy with things, although we got nothing from Fulk or ON.

4. On that last point, I know Oscar is a bad matchup which I don’t know why we tried backing him down, it’s pointless, but you have to get something from Nkahmoua and Fulk, that just can’t happen. BHH played pretty well in the minutes he got today and Barnes spoke about him very well after the game sounding like he’s finally putting in the work they have been wanting, so maybe Fulk’s leash gets shorter and we start to see more BHH. You’re gonna have some mistakes and if you’re Barnes you probably have to live with a couple to see if he can work things out, but it’s seemingly now or never with him for this year.

5. Big picture, the team has started SEC play 2-3, which is precisely what I said was very possible to happen, we got a really tough draw to start out conference play. The flip side of that is that the back half of our schedule sets up to make a run and some noise and maybe build some momentum. We go to Vandy on a quick turnaround and we need to get us a road win, then back home for 2 tough games, LSU & Florida before heading to Austin to play Texas. 3-1 would be a positive, 2-2 would be pretty meh and feel as though we are kinda stuck in neutral, need to start out by getting a win in Nashville Tuesday though.

GBO!!!
As soon as they said Joe B Hall passed away I knew we were done for today

This team is pretty much exactly where projected and y’all are out here talking about needing to make coaching changes…nothing like Volnation.
I can't find those projections, do you have a link or are you referring to your projection? I think Barnes is a good coach but the University of Tennessee is not getting a very good return on their investment in my opinion. Say what you want, but when you're biggest rival scores the most points EVER in the century old series that's not a good ROI.
If you're compensation is near the top in your profession you are expected to perform at that level. I think we really overextended when we bought him out from going to UCLA. His recruiting started slowly but picked up and I don't think anyone can complain about that. The W/L record and tournament results to this point don't merit 5 million/yr.

Reactions: Big time vol
I can't find those projections, do you have a link or are you referring to your projection? I think Barnes is a good coach but the University of Tennessee is not getting a very good return on their investment in my opinion. Say what you want, but when you're biggest rival scores the most points EVER in the century old series that's not a good ROI.
If you're compensation is near the top in your profession you are expected to perform at that level. I think we really overextended when we bought him out from going to UCLA. His recruiting started slowly but picked up and I don't think anyone can complain about that. The W/L record and tournament results to this point don't merit 5 million/yr.
The projections were preseason, Google is your friend, most polls had us 17-25 and same for most analytics, projections had us 21-10 with Memphis win, take it away and that’s 20-10.

For the 8 millionth time, Tennessee isn’t paying $5m for results, they paid that to retain Barnes and it was market value…if we paid him $1.5m nobody would be in here running to his defense saying we are getting such a great deal, STFU about what he makes.

EVERY NCAA coach is overpaid. But it was a good look for TN to ward off a blue blood attempting to poach their coach after just matching the most wins in program history and having the #1 ranked team for a month. UCLA sure didn’t seem to care about not making it past the S16.

Last edited:
The projections were preseason, Google is your friend, most polls had us 17-25 and same for most analytics, projections had us 21-10 with Memphis win, take it away and that’s 20-10.

For the 8 millionth time, Tennessee isn’t paying $5m for results, they paid that to retain Barnes and it was market value…if we paid him $1.5m nobody would be in here running to his defense saying we are getting such a great deal, STFU about what he makes.
To think that results isn't what any coach is paid for is laughable. Again, UT is 2-3 in the conference and you said that is where we were projected to be. I've used your friend Google and can't find that. I'm just asking for your link to that projection or you STFU.

We really need wins against Vandy and Florida at least in the upcoming 5 games. Thanfully the 2nd half of the SEC season is easier, but we need to play with some level of consistency or we will start to merge into bubble talks in February. Currently we are in the tournament but this squad may play their way out of it, Our help defense was atrocious today. Which assistant scouted Kentucky? Didn’t appear like anyone did.

It would have been tough to beat UK today, with the Joe B. Hall news. However, it seemed that we were totally unprepared. They were no doubt shooting out of their minds, but it's the defense's job to make the shots tougher.

They definitely need to go out against Vandy, and show that this was an aberration.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nkamhoua was abysmal in this one. Once again, he displayed hands reminiscent of Kenny Hall and just gives possessions away, offensively. Additionally, his effort on the boards was embarrassing. 0, zero, cero, none, nada...how is that possible? This was the one game I wanted to see him show an ounce of passion and pride on the boards knowing that he was the underdog to Tshiebwe and even as vocally anti-Nkamhoua as I've been in the past, I really wanted him to nut up and prove me wrong on the biggest stage against the most formidable individual opponent. Instead, he folded like a cheap tent and earned his Olivia nickname.

Fulkerson, I'm gonna be a little easier on him...but barely. He clearly seems to lack energy, which used to be his bread and butter. It just looks like watching an NBA veteran who is hanging on to his last ounce of ability in the league. Gone is the player who once flew through the air and wowed people with his athleticism. Gone is the player who refused to be outworked. He's just a shell of his former self. Whether it's injury or illness, he's just zapped. He doesn't look like a guy who has a future in professional basketball anywhere. Most troubling, though, is he just doesn't appear to have any desire. It doesn't look like it bothers him that he either can't, or won't be the player he was two years ago. At least last year, he appeared disappointed that he couldn't recreate that same level of play. 0 points and 0 rebounds in 20 minutes is just...well, Barnes is right, he needs to step aside.

Outside of those two, the rest of the team really didn't play that poorly outside of the defensive lapses that seem to be very uncharacteristic of this group. I saw some offensive things that give me hope. I just don't see how ON and Fulk have earned the respect of their team and their coaches with this effort, and their playing time should suffer until they can earn it. Trotting those two guys out in the starting lineup vs Vandy only serves to tell your team that intensity, accountability, and effort don't matter, and seniority trumps all.

Nkamhoua was abysmal in this one. Once again, he displayed hands reminiscent of Kenny Hall and just gives possessions away, offensively. Additionally, his effort on the boards was embarrassing. 0, zero, cero, none, nada...how is that possible? This was the one game I wanted to see him show an ounce of passion and pride on the boards knowing that he was the underdog to Tshiebwe and even as vocally anti-Nkamhoua as I've been in the past, I really wanted him to nut up and prove me wrong on the biggest stage against the most formidable individual opponent. Instead, he folded like a cheap tent and earned his Olivia nickname.

Fulkerson, I'm gonna be a little easier on him...but barely. He clearly seems to lack energy, which used to be his bread and butter. It just looks like watching an NBA veteran who is hanging on to his last ounce of ability in the league. Gone is the player who once flew through the air and wowed people with his athleticism. Gone is the player who refused to be outworked. He's just a shell of his former self. Whether it's injury or illness, he's just zapped. He doesn't look like a guy who has a future in professional basketball anywhere. Most troubling, though, is he just doesn't appear to have any desire. It doesn't look like it bothers him that he either can't, or won't be the player he was two years ago. At least last year, he appeared disappointed that he couldn't recreate that same level of play. 0 points and 0 rebounds in 20 minutes is just...well, Barnes is right, he needs to step aside.

Outside of those two, the rest of the team really didn't play that poorly outside of the defensive lapses that seem to be very uncharacteristic of this group. I saw some offensive things that give me hope. I just don't see how ON and Fulk have earned the respect of their team and their coaches with this effort, and their playing time should suffer until they can earn it. Trotting those two guys out in the starting lineup vs Vandy only serves to tell your team that intensity, accountability, and effort don't matter, and seniority trumps all.

I will not be surprised if BHH and Uros get the most minutes of the 6 bigs (Fulk, ORN, Aidoo, Tamba) the rest of the way. And JJJ playing a lot at the 4. Obviously Tamba will redshirt. I’d sure like to know exactly what is going on with Aidoo. If it’s injury/illness keeping him on the bench it’d be awesome to see him healthy and participating over the last quarter of the season.

Destroying Vandy on Tuesday would repair a lot of the damage. I’ll be happy with an ugly win though. Take it a game at a time and do everything possible to get each win. They are extremely valuable right now. Gifting minutes hoping to develop players for next year is a bad idea with the no penalty transfer rules in place. Keep playing those that are performing the best in practice and in games. I think that BHH has earned an opportunity for at least a couple of games. Mashack is also flashing that he’s close to breaking into the rotation every night with increasing minutes. Quintin isn’t too far behind him either. I’m not out on Powell and Bailey, but it’s conceivable that Mashack is about to leap frog them both. I still think that JJJ is way ahead of all of them with his total package. But whenever the opposing matchups allow it I’d like to see him almost exclusively at the 4.

This team is pretty much exactly where projected and y’all are out here talking about needing to make coaching changes…nothing like Volnation.

If I had said “hey BTO we are gonna lose by 28 to Kentucky, 12 to LSU, and lose to Bama on the road” you would have said “lol whatever you’re an idiot, wanna put money on that?” Actually had I bet you after Arizona O/U 2.5 SEC wins the next 5 SEC games, you’d have taken the OVER I’m sure and laugh in my face.

It’s not just kenpom rankings. It’s not just the record. This team just doesn’t look to be good. Let’s take away Arizona…We played solid against Arizona behind a career Fulky appearance. And they outplayed us for 30 minutes of the game. Let’s take that game out.

What has this team shown that proves they can win big games? We are supposed to be this elite defensive team yet Kentucky embarrassed us. We finally play a good offensive game and it’s a 28 point loss.

Why am I supposed to believe this team can achieve anything significant? What has this team shown that proves they can do anything in March? Why am I supposed to believe that somehow…this team is magically gonna find its groove and put it together other than Shawshank Redemption hope and a plucky attitude? Sure…this team is gonna make the tournament. In the grand scheme of things, that’s fine for Tennessee basketball. But tell me, when we are 2-5 against top 50 kenpom teams so far why am I supposed to assume this is gonna get better?

Last edited:
4. On that last point, I know Oscar is a bad matchup which I don’t know why we tried backing him down, it’s pointless, but you have to get something from Nkahmoua and Fulk, that just can’t happen. BHH played pretty well in the minutes he got today and Barnes spoke about him very well after the game sounding like he’s finally putting in the work they have been wanting, so maybe Fulk’s leash gets shorter and we start to see more BHH. You’re gonna have some mistakes and if you’re Barnes you probably have to live with a couple to see if he can work things out, but it’s seemingly now or never with him for this year.

GBO!!!
However, while BHH played well in limited minutes, it’s important to note that Oscar was not in the game during the minutes BHH played.

If I had said “hey BTO we are gonna lose by 28 to Kentucky, 12 to LSU, and lose to Bama on the road” you would have said “lol whatever you’re an idiot, wanna put money on that?” Actually had I bet you after Arizona O/U 2.5 SEC wins the next 5 SEC games, you’d have taken the OVER I’m sure and laugh in my face.

It’s not just kenpom rankings. It’s not just the record. This team just doesn’t look to be good. Let’s take away Arizona…We played solid against Arizona behind a career Fulky appearance. And they outplayed us for 30 minutes of the game. Let’s take that game out.

What has this team shown that proves they can win big games? We are supposed to be this elite defensive team yet Kentucky embarrassed us. We finally play a good offensive game and it’s a 28 point loss.

Why am I supposed to believe this team can achieve anything significant? What has this team shown that proves they can do anything in March? Why am I supposed to believe that somehow…this team is magically gonna find its groove and put it together other than Shawshank Redemption hope and a plucky attitude? Sure…this team is gonna make the tournament. In the grand scheme of things, that’s fine for Tennessee basketball. But tell me, when we are 2-5 against top 50 kenpom teams so far why am I supposed to assume this is gonna get better?
Lmao so you’re just taking out their best win to fit your narrative? This is the most unfair assessment of all time. Christ dude, get it together.

Where did I say we played elite defense? Was not a great defensive performance mostly due to our guards inability to stay in front of their man followed by weak help defense once they the guards failed. My point is we didn’t suddenly become total garbage on D because our opponent had a historically successful shooting performance.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I will not be surprised if BHH and Uros get the most minutes of the 6 bigs (Fulk, ORN, Aidoo, Tamba) the rest of the way. And JJJ playing a lot at the 4. Obviously Tamba will redshirt. I’d sure like to know exactly what is going on with Aidoo. If it’s injury/illness keeping him on the bench it’d be awesome to see him healthy and participating over the last quarter of the season.

Destroying Vandy on Tuesday would repair a lot of the damage. I’ll be happy with an ugly win though. Take it a game at a time and do everything possible to get each win. They are extremely valuable right now. Gifting minutes hoping to develop players for next year is a bad idea with the no penalty transfer rules in place. Keep playing those that are performing the best in practice and in games. I think that BHH has earned an opportunity for at least a couple of games. Mashack is also flashing that he’s close to breaking into the rotation every night with increasing minutes. Quintin isn’t too far behind him either. I’m not out on Powell and Bailey, but it’s conceivable that Mashack is about to leap frog them both. I still think that JJJ is way ahead of all of them with his total package. But whenever the opposing matchups allow it I’d like to see him almost exclusively at the 4.

Really love the energy that QD brings when he's in the game. He seems so excited to get minutes, and he also seems to be always hype on the bench.

Lmao so you’re just taking out their best win to fit your narrative? This is the most unfair assessment of all time. Christ dude, get it together.
Do you know anything about probability and statistics? You don’t use an outlier data point to draw a line through to predict trajectory when all of your other data points are pointing in the opposite direction. “Experts” on here are ignoring all of the relevant data points and clinging to the outlier.

BHH should have been getting more minutes..... Aidoo should have been getting some time as well... You can tell me he isnt more talented than Fulky... Old school Barnes has held this team back

VN Store

Back