BTO’s Kentucky Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. Some days/nights you just run into a team that can’t miss and there’s really not any chance no matter what buttons you pressed as a coach that you were going to win, today seemed like one of those. We have done it to other teams as well, we beat a good Kentucky team 2 years ago by 20 in TBA, they went on to get a 2 seed and make the Elite 8. This game doesn’t mean a ton as a whole, it sucks and was embarrassing, but as long as you can move past and it not let it effect the rest of the season it is what it is.

2. Now, with Kentucky shooting that way as I already said I don’t think anything would’ve mattered, but our defensive strategy and performance is mind boggling, especially considering we are a good team. We pressed up on their guards (a couple of which who aren’t good shooters) and seemingly challenged them to beat us off the dribble which they did routinely, and then didn’t bother sending any help at all, which resulted in a huge number of great paint looks, which typically are high % shots. That got them confidence, they started hitting 3’s on top of it, and we gift wrapper quite a few fastbreak points for them with turnovers, bad recipe.

3. On a positive note, the offense looked much better today, the best it has looked in awhile. If you’d have told me we’d score 79 points on 53%fg and 48% from deep I would’ve been really pretty confident we win that game, and if you said it was a blowout I would’ve assumed we were blowing them out. Powell looked like he was being a bit more aggressive out there, James shot well from deep along with Chandler & Vescovi, offensively you are pretty happy with things, although we got nothing from Fulk or ON.

4. On that last point, I know Oscar is a bad matchup which I don’t know why we tried backing him down, it’s pointless, but you have to get something from Nkahmoua and Fulk, that just can’t happen. BHH played pretty well in the minutes he got today and Barnes spoke about him very well after the game sounding like he’s finally putting in the work they have been wanting, so maybe Fulk’s leash gets shorter and we start to see more BHH. You’re gonna have some mistakes and if you’re Barnes you probably have to live with a couple to see if he can work things out, but it’s seemingly now or never with him for this year.

5. Big picture, the team has started SEC play 2-3, which is precisely what I said was very possible to happen, we got a really tough draw to start out conference play. The flip side of that is that the back half of our schedule sets up to make a run and some noise and maybe build some momentum. We go to Vandy on a quick turnaround and we need to get us a road win, then back home for 2 tough games, LSU & Florida before heading to Austin to play Texas. 3-1 would be a positive, 2-2 would be pretty meh and feel as though we are kinda stuck in neutral, need to start out by getting a win in Nashville Tuesday though.

GBO!!!

It’s tough. We’re getting nothing from Fulky or ORN. We don’t seem to play with a ton of confidence either. Well, the most important part of the season is in front of us.

This team will either respond after an utter embarrassment in Rupp, or they will let this shake their confidence further and fold like a cheap suit. We’ll get a first look at what to expect Tuesday

I truly believe you have to go 3-1 in these next 4 games to keep this season “alive.” We need some momentum. We need some wins against quality opponents. And, 2-2 would suggest we likely lose 2 more games against good teams and feast on the bottom feeders. That’s not a formula for tournament success. We need to right the ship here soon, but I’m not entirely confident this team has the “it” factor that is necessary.

1. Some days/nights you just run into a team that can’t miss and there’s really not any chance no matter what buttons you pressed as a coach that you were going to win, today seemed like one of those. We have done it to other teams as well, we beat a good Kentucky team 2 years ago by 20 in TBA, they went on to get a 2 seed and make the Elite 8. This game doesn’t mean a ton as a whole, it sucks and was embarrassing, but as long as you can move past and it not let it effect the rest of the season it is what it is.

2. Now, with Kentucky shooting that way as I already said I don’t think anything would’ve mattered, but our defensive strategy and performance is mind boggling, especially considering we are a good team. We pressed up on their guards (a couple of which who aren’t good shooters) and seemingly challenged them to beat us off the dribble which they did routinely, and then didn’t bother sending any help at all, which resulted in a huge number of great paint looks, which typically are high % shots. That got them confidence, they started hitting 3’s on top of it, and we gift wrapper quite a few fastbreak points for them with turnovers, bad recipe.

3. On a positive note, the offense looked much better today, the best it has looked in awhile. If you’d have told me we’d score 79 points on 53%fg and 48% from deep I would’ve been really pretty confident we win that game, and if you said it was a blowout I would’ve assumed we were blowing them out. Powell looked like he was being a bit more aggressive out there, James shot well from deep along with Chandler & Vescovi, offensively you are pretty happy with things, although we got nothing from Fulk or ON.

4. On that last point, I know Oscar is a bad matchup which I don’t know why we tried backing him down, it’s pointless, but you have to get something from Nkahmoua and Fulk, that just can’t happen. BHH played pretty well in the minutes he got today and Barnes spoke about him very well after the game sounding like he’s finally putting in the work they have been wanting, so maybe Fulk’s leash gets shorter and we start to see more BHH. You’re gonna have some mistakes and if you’re Barnes you probably have to live with a couple to see if he can work things out, but it’s seemingly now or never with him for this year.

5. Big picture, the team has started SEC play 2-3, which is precisely what I said was very possible to happen, we got a really tough draw to start out conference play. The flip side of that is that the back half of our schedule sets up to make a run and some noise and maybe build some momentum. We go to Vandy on a quick turnaround and we need to get us a road win, then back home for 2 tough games, LSU & Florida before heading to Austin to play Texas. 3-1 would be a positive, 2-2 would be pretty meh and feel as though we are kinda stuck in neutral, need to start out by getting a win in Nashville Tuesday though.

GBO!!!
We really need wins against Vandy and Florida at least in the upcoming 5 games. Thanfully the 2nd half of the SEC season is easier, but we need to play with some level of consistency or we will start to merge into bubble talks in February. Currently we are in the tournament but this squad may play their way out of it, Our help defense was atrocious today. Which assistant scouted Kentucky? Didn’t appear like anyone did.

I hope this game is a strong lesson for the younger players that aren’t getting much playing time why defense matters. TN played several games with bad offensive performances and won or were in position to win when the defense was sound. Today the offense is productive and the team gets destroyed because of the bad defense.

I hope this game is a strong lesson for the younger players that aren’t getting much playing time why defense matters. TN played several games with bad offensive performances and won or were in position to win when the defense was sound. Today the offense is productive and the team gets destroyed because of the bad defense.
Team got destroyed because ky shot the ball crazy good. It happens, but very rarely at the rate today. We shouldn’t over analyze our D from this game alone. We can however analyze our complete lack of scoring from our post guys, lack of blocking out for rebounds, fumbling the ball away, and making poor effort

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nobody has been a bigger supporter of Fulky than me, but it’s time to try more of Uros, BHH, and JJJ rotation at the 4&5. If you don’t produce with your minutes then others deserve the opportunity to show what they can do.

That is the trend. Fulk has had the fewest minutes played all season in 5 of the last 7 games. The reactionary posters want to cut his mpg to near zero which is just dumb.

Team got destroyed because ky shot the ball crazy good. It happens, but very rarely at the rate today. We shouldn’t over analyze our D from this game alone. We can however analyze our complete lack of scoring from our post guys, lack of blocking out for rebounds, fumbling the ball away, and making poor effort

Much of the bad defense is because of bad offense. It’s hard to defend when the opponent has numbers after turnovers and is making baskets before the defense is even in position to defend something.

I do not think Olivier is worth the minutes he is currently getting. I think Huntley-Hatfield and Maschack need to play more. This team needs a facelift. Fulkerson just looks spent. I’m not sure if it’s the 2nd fight with COVID that has just permanently zapped his stamina, but he looks tired and disinterested at times and is not helping the team.

To expand on this, it’s not JUST defense that Barnes is emphasizing. He also expects minimizing the bad fundamental play on either end. Turnovers don’t happen on defense but the play is all interrelated. Guards rotating back on offense to prevent run outs and numbers happens on offense but affects the numbers on defense.

That is the trend. Fulk has had the fewest minutes played all season in 5 of the last 7 games. The reactionary posters want to cut his mpg to near zero which is just dumb.
You can say that but there’s 15 guys wanting to play. When the coach puts you in you have to produce or the minutes should be reallocated. Fulky hasn’t produced much since the Covid.

I do not think Olivier is worth the minutes he is currently getting. I think Huntley-Hatfield and Maschack need to play more. This team needs a facelift. Fulkerson just looks spent. I’m not sure if it’s the 2nd fight with COVID that has just permanently zapped his stamina, but he looks tired and disinterested at times and is not helping the team.

It seems like Mashack and BHH are suddenly, quickly narrowing the gaps between them and JJJ/Bailey and ORN/Fulk. I think that Uros is still trending up (but he needs to make all of his dam free throws).

It seems like Mashack and BHH are suddenly, quickly narrowing the gaps between them and JJJ/Bailey and ORN/Fulk. I think that Uros is still trending up (but he needs to make all of his dam free throws).

Uros can play. I’m fine with that. He hasn’t played great, but he has been at the very least solid which is more than we can say about any of the other post players.

It’s time for the younger guys to get more run. ORN is extremely soft. Fulkerson, who is normally tough as nails, is now playing soft and timid.

Give Jamhai and Brandon more minutes. Two extremely talented players that probably will give you more than what we’re getting from upperclassmen. Worst case scenario is they get extremely valuable experience for next year. Best case scenario the lineup facelift saves this season.

Something has to change.

No need to leap to “permanently”.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You can say that but there’s 15 guys wanting to play. When the coach puts you in you have to produce or the minutes should be reallocated. Fulky hasn’t produced much since the Covid.

Even if Fulk has been off, he had a really good game not long ago versus Arizona and had a good showing versus USC. You don’t cut your most experienced player’s minutes by 75% immediately. Especially when he has had many excellent performances over his career. You let him give it a go unless he’s passing out in practices. Fulk at 70% might still outperform most of the alternatives.

Reactions: Kicker82
We really need wins against Vandy and Florida at least in the upcoming 5 games. Thanfully the 2nd half of the SEC season is easier, but we need to play with some level of consistency or we will start to merge into bubble talks in February. Currently we are in the tournament but this squad may play their way out of it, Our help defense was atrocious today. Which assistant scouted Kentucky? Didn’t appear like anyone did.
February is easier but not easy. It still includes home games against A&M, UK, and Auburn and road games at Miss St and Arkansas. The “easy” games are road games at SC and Mizzou and a home game against Vandy. 4-4 in Feb is very possible. There really are no easy road games in the SEC.

Who is this teams leader? Not sure we have one which is a major problem. BHH needs more minutes and Fulky needs to sit Until he is either healthy or ready to contribute.No excuse for Zero rebounds for Fulky and ON today.

Uros can play. I’m fine with that. He hasn’t played great, but he has been at the very least solid which is more than we can say about any of the other post players.

It’s time for the younger guys to get more run. ORN is extremely soft. Fulkerson, who is normally tough as nails, is now playing soft and timid.

Give Jamhai and Brandon more minutes. Two extremely talented players that probably will give you more than what we’re getting from upperclassmen. Worst case scenario is they get extremely valuable experience for next year. Best case scenario the lineup facelift saves this season.

Something has to change.
Fulkerson “tough as nails”? Been weak as water the last two years. Sure he’s had a game here and there but overall so very weak. Barnes has been too loyal to him.

Fulkerson “tough as nails”? Been weak as water the last two years. Sure he’s had a game here and there but overall so very weak. Barnes has been too loyal to him.
Correct…stop putting him out there and saying put out or get out the way . Coach you put him in the way

Reactions: Hbg and Tnphil
Nobody has been a bigger supporter of Fulky than me, but it’s time to try more of Uros, BHH, and JJJ rotation at the 4&5. If you don’t produce with your minutes then others deserve the opportunity to show what they can do.

Uros doesn't need any more minutes than he's getting. Give BHH as many minutes as he can handle. I'm not big on James either. He's just going to hang out at the 3 point line.

The constant trying to back down bigger players is puzzling. We got a couple of players that continue to bang their head in the wall on offense.

Reactions: Coddlecreek1

VN Store

Back